Clean up, Aisle 3

Dear Abby,

So I'm messy.  No, you don't understand.  I'm #messy.  Right now I'm using rubbing alcohol and some cut up old towels to keep my tools and my work bench clean.  But did I mention In messy?  Especially when it comes to re-wicking. I'll go through 10 of those cut up towel rags like it was nothing.  There's only so many towels I can take before my wife notices they are missing and it's such a pain in the rear to try to clean them.  Certainly can't just toss them in the washer.

What do you guys use to keep everything clean?  Is there some magic spray I can use on my tools?  Some super duty wax breaking up detergent that would let me wash the towel rags in the sink?

Yours truly,

Toweless in Tennessee

• Haha 1

Simple green. This stuff is awesome in so many ways. 

For oils that saponify, lye solution. It makes a soap right in the soaking pail. 

I also use paper towels so that I don’t screw up my washing machine. The last thing I want is wax and oil re-depositing on my clothes.

• Thanks 1

Well there's paper towels.  I don't waste them as I use the waxed up ones as firestarters, but they ARE expensive.  What kind of wax are you using?  My 464 does clean up with a LOT of dawn, but harder waxes may not.  I soak the ( regular) towels in the dawn and HOT water,  course then there's the problem of where to dispose of the waxy water...in my case on some weeds in the yard...

• Thanks 1

Amazon basics dog pads. Absorbent on top, plastic on bottom.keeps messes contained. I use them for all my crafty things.

Also freezer paper on a roll and get a dispenser. Cannot live without. Plastic sparkle knife to scoop off wax drips off counter where wax magically appears when working. Clothes super dawn, resolve. Di limolene. Also put towels in bucket and use dish detergent tabs to soak with super hot water. The dish detergent breaks down wax and oils really well. Do not buy the dog pads locally they charge too much get em cheap at amzn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Dear Abby 1,2,3 and 4:

Thank you for all of the info.

1). I have lye and simple green ordered from Amazon.

2). We already use copius amounts of paper towels.  Time to buy stock.

3). I just happen to have a box of Amazon basics puppy pads collecting dust in the closet because the only thing our Yorkie wanted to use them for was as a blanket to take a nap on.

4). We used a ton of D-limonene in the Petro lab I used to manage.  Can't believe I didn't think of it.

Thank you all,

Spic and Span in Tennessee

• Haha 1

Amazon basics dog pads. Absorbent on top, plastic on bottom.keeps messes contained. I use them for all my crafty things.

Also freezer paper on a roll and get a dispenser. Cannot live without. Plastic sparkle knife to scoop off wax drips off counter where wax magically appears when working. Clothes super dawn, resolve. Di limolene. Also put towels in bucket and use dish detergent tabs to soak with super hot water. The dish detergent breaks down wax and oils really well. Do not buy the dog pads locally they charge too much get em cheap at amzn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NightLight said:

Brilliant.  I cut open large garbage bags to make drop cloths and mini tarps.  I used one yesterday like that under my yoga mat because I wanted to workout outside.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, bfroberts said:

Paper towels.  Copious amounts of paper towels.  

This! I buy them by the truckload. Works on so many clean up jobs when you are both a soaper and/or candlemaker you need a buttload of paper towels!!!!

I'd rather pay for loads of rolls of paper towels than spend the money on an expensive plummer to fix my drain. The raw soap or wax goes on the paper towel and into the trash instead of my kitchen sink. Its a whole lot cheaper than that plumber plus you don't have to see his buttcrack as he works on the sink!! Bonus!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2019 at 6:19 AM, NightLight said:

I pulled out the puppy pads earlier this week and that's brilliant.

Wickectomys are where I generally make the majority of my mess but this works great.  I picked up a box of disposable medical gloves which keeps me from getting it all over my hands then transferring it to anything I touch.  Now, I just need to find a white lab coat and a stethoscope and my wickectomy equipment will be complete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2