Next trend in the wax world to put vendors out of business

lovelyscents

I don't mean to sound uneducated but this would work would it not?  Many on here use straight oils with salt for throw testing and it worked well for me.

Honestly oils aren't that expensive if they just buy a dozen of ones they strictly like.  It gets expensive for us makers since we need larger quantities, especially when we custom blend.  Many who have been in the wax world a very long time know their oils and blends maybe more than some vendors so I could see this becoming a trend. They dont need to deal with vendors customer service, shipping issues and prices, higher prices of wax, rushing for openings or gambling on wax that may not work well.  

I have thought about making scented salt for warmers, I guess this would moreless be the same concept.  Unless any of you give reasons on why it wouldn't be safe?...

• Like 1

Some oils that I've tried to do that with, or mix with water in a warmer, for some reason don't smell as good.  It's like blending with a bit of wax or oils or DPG or whatever is in liquid potpourri modifies the chemical balance and makes it better.  I have no idea what voodoo is going on there.  Some might be fine but I often don't like a straight out-of-the-bottle FO as much as if it's modified with some of those things.

I also know straight FO can take the lacquer or finish off furniture and floors and counter tops, so I don't want to put it undiluted in an oil warmer because I'm afraid it could eat the glazed finish off the oil warmers I have.  That may not even really be a problem but Ill err on the side of caution.

Edited by Darbla
typo
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Darbla said:

Some oils that I've tried to do that with, or mix with water in a warmer, for some reason don't smell as good.  It's like blending with a bit of wax or oils or DPG or whatever is in liquid potpourri modifies the chemical balance and makes it better.  I have no idea what voodoo is going on there.  Some might be fine but I often don't like a straight out-of-the-bottle FO as much as if it's modified with some of those things.

SCIENCE! Aroma chemicals are definitely meant to be blended with something.

Those who would DIY are not our customers. They don’t want to learn, they want to open a special pretty package and enjoy. Not many want o start down the rabbit hole experimenting with vendors, materials, etc. THAT is expensive. 

The appeal, allure, cult following in products is because those folks have no interest in DIY, preferring to belong to something, a community of buyers that are like them (it that they want to be like). Other “worlds” are exactly the same.  There’s this crazy Target dollar spot phenomenon that still boggles my mind.  $1 paper post it notes and page flags used to sell for $50 or more to the hard core collectors. Indie paper designers sell page flags, Washi tape and the like for crazy money because their following is huge. I received 5 rolls of washi tape for Christmas a couple years ago.  Turned around and sold those $4 rolls for more than $200 to collectors who need the ones I Had to complete their collections. CRAZY! But why fight it? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 2/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, lovelyscents said:

I have thought about making scented salt for warmers, I guess this would moreless be the same concept.  Unless any of you give reasons on why it wouldn't be safe?...

Interesting idea.

I've put FO's direct on my tart warmer plate and while yes they smelled good and strong they evaporated quite quickly. So I started throwing in some wax with the FO and mixed them as they warmed and liquified and this combo lasted much longer and still kept its strong scent appeal. Also, I didn't like what the burned off oil did to my warming plate. Like Darbla I don't want to risk damage to my tart warmer by using straight oil.

I do use my tart warmer often for testing out new fragrance combos that I come up with. I found it to be a great aid in this department. I can readily get a strong scent that fills my house and tell immediately if I like the new combo or not or simply need to adjust it. I just throw in a little wax with it. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 7:17 PM, Fireside said:

So for those throwing in some wax with the oil directly on the warmer...

Does this mean you get a great long throw without melting the wax and binding it to the oil initially, then left to cure as we do with tarts?

I put some wax in, and after it's melted a bit I add a few drops of scent. 

@lovelyscents I tried the salt thing in the past and it just doesn't work that great.  From my experiments, that's one of those fad things people tried for a while to be different and attention-getting, but it just didn't work as well for me as wax or oil does.

• Like 1