Big Development Here!

Quentin

I have a new company name and logo. A website and online store are in the works. Check out my new logo and company name here:

https://logojoy.com/s/22958473

I'll take all the feedback you can give. Good, bad, horrible. Hit me hard. I don't think I misspelled the name of my own state, but check behind me just in case.:lol:

• Like 3

Very very nice Quentin.....

Is very clean looking and very professional.....

If you don't mind me asking.....what does the number 7 mean in Pillar 7?   Unless it is too personal a question.....

So you only make pillar candles?    I thought you did jar candles also....

Great job!

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 10:42 AM, Trappeur said:

If you don't mind me asking.....what does the number 7 mean in Pillar 7? 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, Candybee said:

I am also curious about the significance of 7?

The number "7" actually means nothing at all to me. I started out calling it 10 Pillars Candles because my old labels and old company logo had a background of ten candles. The 10 candles was merely by chance, but it cluttered the label and I never really liked the old company name. I thought 10 Pillar Candles might make people think that I had a set of 10 principles that I ran the business by. So I switched it to Pillar 10 Candles. The double digit number just didn't sound right to me. Then I remembered Pier 1 Imports Store. I picked the single digit "7" simply because people associate that number with good luck. I don't believe in luck, but millions of others do.  Then when I saw Pillar 7 Candles come back to me in the proof, it looked great to me. So the rest is history.  

I should also mention that I didn't construct this new logo. I went online and stumbled across LogoJoy.com. You answer a few questions, type in the name, pick out a stock image and primary color. They design it right while you're waiting. It's not free but it's not really high priced, either once you see all the other stuff they throw in the package. You get 4 different file types that come in different sizes for different applications. Ready to go for Facebook, eBay, Etsy, business cards, T-shirts, etc. You download it and it's yours. No recurring charges, unless that was in the fine print somewhere that I didn't read. :whistling:

One thing you are going to run into and that is being constantly asked what the 7 is for. Its not self explanatory so unfortunately if you keep that name you are stuck with continuously explaining it. If you don't mind go for it. But be prepared its gonna happen a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

You might add that story to your about me or about us page

Good idea!:bow: I might do that. I sort of like the mystery, though. Reminds me of puzzling logos and brand names like Arm & Hammer baking soda. Where in the world did they get that idea? Or the controversy a few years back (which still resurfaces from time to time) regarding the Proctor & Gamble logo that many people claimed was a Satanic symbol. I don't think anyone at P&G really knows where the logo came from or what it originally represented. You would probably have to ask Mr. Proctor or Mr. Gamble that. Unfortunately that is quite impossible at this time. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

One thing you are going to run into and that is being constantly asked what the 7 is for. Its not self explanatory so unfortunately if you keep that name you are stuck with continuously explaining it. If you don't mind go for it. But be prepared its gonna happen a lot.

True. However, think of the publicity opportunities. Suppose I get interviewed on the Today Show or Fox & Friends and I'm asked that question. Just answer with a sly grin and say nothing. Keep em wondering. I'm not expecting either of them to call in the immediate future.:lol: Of course, all of you here know what it means but you're sworn to secrecy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It looks great! Very clean and simple. Without being too simple. I like it a lot!

and when people ask you have the opportunity to get creative:

i was born with 7 toes

i have ocd and do everything in 7’s, 7’s,7’s,7’s,7’s,7’s,7’s !

there are 7 secret ingredients/steps to making my candles

i thought of many more but I don’t feel they are appropriate to post here! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sebleo said:

It looks great! Very clean and simple. Without being too simple. I like it a lot!

and when people ask you have the opportunity to get creative:

i was born with 7 toes

there are 7 secret ingredients/steps to making my candles

i thought of many more but I don’t feel they are appropriate to post here! Lol

Just the kind of stuff I think about. :)

1 hour ago, Arch Rock said:

I like it too.  Spoiler alert:  better get your fictitious name registered in Mississippi and get an EIN # but you probably already knew that.

Uhhhh. Didn't think about that.:whistling: I just told a lie right there. I have thought about it but have been trying to ignore it. I think you're telling me I'm not going to be able to fly under the radar? Tell me where to start, please. I'll get on it.:icon_tiptoe:

Google the Department of State for registering the fictitious name.  Here in PA it costs $70.  Merry Christmas.  It's not a copyright per se but it gives you standing in court if someone else comes up with that awesome name.  You should probably do Quentin Doing Business As Pillar 7.  IRS.gov for the EIN#.  No charge for this because their benevolence is repaid ten-fold once you start making money and filing income taxes on your biz.  Can't make your mark flying under the radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's going to vary from state to state maybe even county to county.   Check with your City Clerk office.  I just had to pay 25.00 and they run a check on the business name.  You are then yourself doing business as.  I didn't have to get an IRS EIN#.  I file with  my personal taxes.   Insurance is a must as well.   I had to also get a Sales Tax ID# and pay them yearly.  Again, it will vary depending on where you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sebleo said:

...then check 7 more times to make sure everything was done in 7s, 7s, 7s, 7s, 7s, 7s, 7s. Check  behind me Sebleo and make sure I got that right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shari said:

It's going to vary from state to state maybe even county to county.   Check with your City Clerk office.  I just had to pay 25.00 and they run a check on the business name.  You are then yourself doing business as.  I didn't have to get an IRS EIN#.  I file with  my personal taxes.   Insurance is a must as well.   I had to also get a Sales Tax ID# and pay them yearly.  Again, it will vary depending on where you are.

1 hour ago, Shari said:

I didn't have to get an IRS EIN#.  I file with  my personal taxes.

This is how I'd prefer to do it.

When you say they "run a check on the business name", what exactly do they do? I have a friend about 60 miles away that was always in business for himself. I could ask him all this, but he'll talk about it for at least two hours. Anything I can find out here will minimize that agony.:lol:

16 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Oh I love that one by Sebleo about 7 secret ingredients......I'm sure you could come up with 7 secrets Quentin....or how bout 7 steps to make your candles?

Trappeur

Just like Colonel Sanders and his secret blend of 11 different herbs and spices. No one knows all eleven, but you can be sure that sodium chloride tops the list!

23 hours ago, YellowButterfly said:

you know what the business is just by seeing the logo. 

@YellowButterfly You're right about that and I wish I could take credit for that idea.:smile: It never occurred to me until I read your comment.  When I see the downward curved arrow, I automatically think Amazon. The image of an apple with a bite taken makes us think Apple and all their related businesses. UPS COULD leave their company name off all their trucks if they wanted to do so. That shade of brown would be all they need. If asked, many people wouldn't be able to tell you what the initials UPS represent. The list is endless. You've introduced a very interesting topic. 

One thing to consider with your company name and logo. Do you want to trademark just the name or the logo too? I know I have seen pillar candles being used in logos before. Doesn’t mean you can’t use one too. 

I would recommend before going forward with this logo to try and make sure you aren’t infringing on a claimed mark. And that it’s available for you to trademark. 

You can can do a search on Us pto.gov.  Go to trademark then do a TESS search. 

Trademark names are easy to search, but it think it’s trickier to search for logos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Quentin said:

Just like Colonel Sanders and his secret blend of 11 different herbs and spices. No one knows all eleven, but you can be sure that sodium chloride tops the list!

@YellowButterfly You're right about that and I wish I could take credit for that idea.:smile: It never occurred to me until I read your comment.  When I see the downward curved arrow, I automatically think Amazon. The image of an apple with a bite taken makes us think Apple and all their related businesses. UPS COULD leave their company name off all their trucks if they wanted to do so. That shade of brown would be all they need. If asked, many people wouldn't be able to tell you what the initials UPS represent. The list is endless. You've introduced a very interesting topic. 

@Quentin Yes, brand recognition is everything. I can't unsee the two people sharing a chip over a bowl when I see a bag of Tostitos. 😄 I'm working on my logo now and I'm trying to incorporate a candle flame so it's recognizable what the product is, but at the same time, I also like logos where the name is the logo itself, lol. The dilemma! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sebleo said:

One thing to consider with your company name and logo. Do you want to trademark just the name or the logo too? I know I have seen pillar candles being used in logos before. Doesn’t mean you can’t use one too. 

I would recommend before going forward with this logo to try and make sure you aren’t infringing on a claimed mark. And that it’s available for you to trademark. 

You can can do a search on Us pto.gov.  Go to trademark then do a TESS search. 

Trademark names are easy to search, but it think it’s trickier to search for logos. 

Oh man! So many details keep popping up. It's maddening. Thanks for passing that one on to me. You're right that candles appear in lots of logos. I think it all comes down to how you configure it. For example, lots of furniture stores might use a chair or bed as part of their logo. Still, I better look into it. I guess the next question would be, where do I start when it comes to getting a registered trademark on the name in particular. Supposedly, the logo company did a search of some sort. I better double check with them. In the meantime, if anyone knows please let me know.