Alternatives to Etsy?

MilosCandles

Besides Etsy or your own personal website does anyone else use another site similar to etsy to sell their items?

I found a article that talks about some of them and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Handmade Amazon

ArtFire

SuperMarket

DaWanda

Cargoh

Zibbet

iCraft Gifts

Bonanza

ShopHandmade

https://www.marketplacevalet.com/single-post/2017/06/09/The-10-Best-Online-Marketplaces-for-Handmade-Goods

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

Besides Etsy or your own personal website does anyone else use another site similar to etsy to sell their items?

I found a article that talks about some of them and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Handmade Amazon

ArtFire

SuperMarket

DaWanda

Cargoh

Zibbet

iCraft Gifts

Bonanza

ShopHandmade

https://www.marketplacevalet.com/single-post/2017/06/09/The-10-Best-Online-Marketplaces-for-Handmade-Goods

I've never heard of any of those companies except Handmade Amazon and Artfire.

Trappeur

I've looked into a few different online shops and I've heard nothing but bad about Artfire.

Aside from Etsy, I've heard some good about Big Cartel.

I sell some pieces on Facebook Marketplace, but just the free version where I'm posting in my area, so it's not anything different than craigslist really.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I'm on Amazon Handmade.  Some of my best sellers there include Baking Bread and Unscented.  :) 

Do you get many sales on Amazon?  Do you know if someone searches amazon you items show up?  Or is Amazon Handmade it own site entirely? 

• Like 1

Historically, I've tended to get more sales on Etsy as compared to Amazon, but Amazon sales are increasing lately.  Right now, it's about even with Etsy sales.

I just did a search for a baked bread soy candle on Amazon (not specifically on Handmade), and my candle came up first, right after the sponsored (paid ad) candles.  When I did a search for baking bread soy candle on Amazon (again, not on Handmade), my candle came up as Amazon's Choice.  Again, it was first up (after the sponsored ads).  So yes, to answer your question, handmade items do come up in searches on the home page.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Historically, I've tended to get more sales on Etsy as compared to Amazon, but Amazon sales are increasing lately.  Right now, it's about even with Etsy sales.

I just did a search for a baked bread soy candle on Amazon (not specifically on Handmade), and my candle came up first, right after the sponsored (paid ad) candles.  When I did a search for baking bread soy candle on Amazon (again, not on Handmade), my candle came up as Amazon's Choice.  Again, it was first up (after the sponsored ads).  So yes, to answer your question, handmade items do come up in searches on the home page.

Congratulations on that. Great job. That's not an easy thing to accomplish on Amazon.:thumbsup2:

On 10/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, aptommo said:

They make you jump through some hoops to get set up

I had been wondering about selling on Amazon and how it works. Jumping through hoops, as you put it, doesn't surprise me. 

43 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Congratulations on that. Great job. That's not an easy thing to accomplish on Amazon.:thumbsup2:

Thanks.  I was surprised by the results when I did that little test.  That being said, I did use a specific search string that may or may not be used by customers; I knew key terms to find MY product.  LOL.  But overall, I've been very blessed to have decent sales over the years.  I will never set the world on fire, but I'm perfectly content with my little business endeavor.  :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

Amazon Homemade just charges 15% of the sale, they waive the Amazon Pro Monthly Fee.

I wouldn't make any money if I had to pay 15%. I make melts I don't make candles. eBay is cheaper than that. Is it worth it? What is the advantage of selling on homemade Amazon instead of regular Amazon? Also they won't let me choose how much I charge for shipping either. They set the price and I wanted to offer free shipping.

Edited by ShelleyF
Added info

On 10/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, ShelleyF said:

I wouldn't make any money if I had to pay 15%. I make melts I don't make candles. eBay is cheaper than that. Is it worth it? What is the advantage of selling on homemade Amazon instead of regular Amazon? Also they won't let me choose how much I charge for shipping either. They set the price and I wanted to offer free shipping.

What are your fees on Ebay when you make a sale.  Mine ended up being about 10% between ebays fees and paypal fees.

The 15% amazon charges is for listings and selling and credit card processing.  So yes it is a little more expensive but it is a flat 15%.  Plus it is on Amazon.  Part of the reason why I asked @Crafty1_AJ if his items came up in an normal Amazon search.  My items might be priced a little bit more on Amazon to account for the additional cost. OR not offer discounts on there.

Yes you set your own prices and shipping policy on "HandMade"

https://services.amazon.com/handmade/handmade.html

FAQ

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/handmade-faq-frequently-asked-questions/343913

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

What are your fees on Ebay when you make a sale.  Mine ended up being about 10% between ebays fees and paypal fees.

The 15% amazon charges is for listings and selling and credit card processing.  So yes it is a little more expensive but it is a flat 15%.  Plus it is on Amazon.  Part of the reason why I asked @Crafty1_AJ if his items came up in an normal Amazon search.  My items might be priced a little bit more on Amazon to account for the additional cost. OR not offer discounts on there.

Yes you set your own prices and shipping policy on "HandMade"

https://services.amazon.com/handmade/handmade.html

FAQ

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/handmade-faq-frequently-asked-questions/343913

Thank you so much. I was thinking on Amazon I would have PayPal fees but Amazon doesn't use PayPal. It was still very rxpensive ad it said I would have to pay almost 1/2 of my listings  but I don't know why. I will check again.

So I was accepted to Amazon Hand Made, and I put up a store.  I did not list all of my products,  I was able to export etsy and then import into amazon, with some work and data tweaking. 

They have some reports to see if I get much traffic. I only imported one picture per listing for right now.  I am not going to do much more until I know the effort is worth it on there.  I probably spent about 6 hours to get it to the point it is at right now.

https://www.amazon.com/handmade/716-Candle-Co

Would be amazing if I even get half of what I do on Etsy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

So I was accepted to Amazon Hand Made, and I put up a store.  I did not list all of my products,  I was able to export etsy and then import into amazon, with some work and data tweaking. 

They have some reports to see if I get much traffic. I only imported one picture per listing for right now.  I am not going to do much more until I know the effort is worth it on there.  I probably spent about 6 hours to get it to the point it is at right now.

https://www.amazon.com/handmade/716-Candle-Co

Would be amazing if I even get half of what I do on Etsy.

OMG these are absolutely adorable and creative. I would think they’d totally sell good! My only fear would be the companies coming after me for using their bottles/cans. I’m totally going to be buying some of these for Christmas gifts. Screw my own 😂 now I gotta figure out how to save you on amazon 🤔

• Like 1

Made my 1st sale on Amazon Hand Made.  Took about a week.  See if it picks up at all.    I am not sure how the Amazon SEO works.  At some point I may need to look into more.  Figure out how I get more views and sales.  This time of year I just do not have any time.

I also put up about 10 items on Artfire.  In the last week I had 1 person click on and view an item.. (See attached stats) (NO SALES)  I paid for 3 months, I already have it on my calendar to cancel on Jan 2019.

I have also listed some of my items on Ebay..   With getting FREE listing on there - WHY NOT.  Two Sales in the last 2 weeks.

In comparison, I averaged about 3 sales a day on Etsy over the last 30 days.  Please realize the amount of time I have put into ETSY and SEO on there.  I realize these other sites I really haven't put any time in yet.  Amazon and Ebay cost me nothing monthly and free listings, just cost me when I sell something.

artfire.JPG