Where do you make your candles?

Your shed sounds perfect! Nice that it's air conditioned..

I'm in our basement. I've covered the kitchen sink down there with a board for more workspace. If I need water, I've got a bathroom down there.

You should be able to set up quite nicely - prestos, a double burner for reheating pour pots. You don't *really* need water or an oven, you can get by without.

Lots of shelves and workspace!

When I built my log cabin I knew the basement was going to be strictly for making candles. So ther is a huge amount of light, 2~ 4x8 pour tables, a brand new stove and outlets galore for the melter I will have some day. I have to heat with a wood burner in the winter but there's lots of room for everything.

Of course there's the washer and dryer and hot water tank and all that but 90% of the basement is candle equiptment and supplies.

The finished candles are displayed in two huge bookcases in my Great room! I can display 300 candles for customers if the come out to look and buy!:cool2:

Fire

I WAS in the basement, key word being was because it's so freakin' cold down there, it was affecting my candles, was getting hairline fractures in them.

So I'm in the kitchen now, small counter space and some cabinets above me devoted. Most of my other supplies are downstairs, until I can find a way of insulating and heating it down there, I'm stuck in the kitchen for about three months out of the year. Doesn't hurt my feelings, as long as I have wax to play with, I'm cool.

The shed sounds perfect! I was in the kitchen for about the first 3 months I started making candles, then my DH put a workbench, stove and some shelves in the basement - I've been down there for 7 years. I think I need more shelves again, it's hard to be organized and creative at the same time...at least for me. ;)

In my very tiny old house I was in the kitchen.

We are in the process of building a house right now. My husband made sure to create a space for me in the heated basement. He hated my messes in the kitchen. I will have a wash tub, stove and LOTS of shelves and tables. He even put in extra outlets for me when he was wiring my new shop. I can't wait to move in!

I currently use my kitchen which i find very inconvinent, ok i dont but my dh and children do! I am currently looking to buy my brothers house and it has a wonderful attached garage that will be easily converted into a very nice workshop with heat and central air! IF we can get a decent loan offer!:rolleyes2

When I built my log cabin I knew the basement was going to be strictly for making candles. So ther is a huge amount of light, 2~ 4x8 pour tables, a brand new stove and outlets galore for the melter I will have some day. I have to heat with a wood burner in the winter but there's lots of room for everything.

Of course there's the washer and dryer and hot water tank and all that but 90% of the basement is candle equiptment and supplies.

The finished candles are displayed in two huge bookcases in my Great room! I can display 300 candles for customers if the come out to look and buy!:cool2:

Fire

That's awesome! I want a log cabin....:drool:

I make my candles in the kitchen but .... DH gave me the most WONDERFUL birthday present for my birthday today. This weekend he turned one of our spare bedrooms into a craft/hobby room. I already had my computer in there and now he installed a countertop, two filing cabinets under the countertop (one for household papers and one for my business papers), pegboard, corkboard, and shelving galore! Although I still pour in the kitchen, I can take all my stuff to the hobby room now to label, package, etc. (Plus I have an awesome space to do my card stamping and scrapbooking). Best birthday I've had in YEARS!!! :yay:

I make my candles in the kitchen but .... DH gave me the most WONDERFUL birthday present for my birthday today. This weekend he turned one of our spare bedrooms into a craft/hobby room. I already had my computer in there and now he installed a countertop, two filing cabinets under the countertop (one for household papers and one for my business papers), pegboard, corkboard, and shelving galore! Although I still pour in the kitchen, I can take all my stuff to the hobby room now to label, package, etc. (Plus I have an awesome space to do my card stamping and scrapbooking). Best birthday I've had in YEARS!!! :yay:

That's excellent! I love it when our guys do nice things like that for us...it is the best!

I pour in our sunroom. It's super unorganized and drives both me and my mom crazy. We need to have a weekend to just get in there and get her stuff on one side, and my stuff on another side! It's also cold in the winter, and hot in the summer! But you deal with what you've got right? There's WAY too many people in my house for me to pour in the kitchen.

My boyfriend knows that when we buy a house I WILL have my own candle/soap making room! He's cool with that!

That's awesome! I want a log cabin....:drool:

I would just love to have a basement. When I was a kid, we lived in New York and we had a great basement It would have been perfect for me for my candles and there would have still been plenty of room. When I lived in Idaho, I had an unfinished basement but it had plenty of lighting but it was pretty damn cold there. I spent a lot of time there when it got hot but hardly ever went down in winter. It would have cost me a fortune to heat it!

Ahh, I should talk DH into moving somewhere where they have basements!

I can understand your mother not wanting bits of wax stuck to her kitchen surfaces. In addition to laying newspaper on the counter (Margaritamama's suggestion), I also lay newspaper on the floor. Any spills or drips on counter or floor gets caught by the newspaper which is then thrown away.

I am currently in the kitchen! It always looks like a bomb went off, but it is just me so no one else can say shnit about it. I have decided that I will never have a clean kitchen and I am cool with that. I have tried organizing. I bought a hutch thingy for candle stuff (it is full) I bought one of the tall roller drawer thingys. I love it. It have like 4 smaller drawers that are great for labels, shrink bags, small tools. then it has 2 or 3 of the larger drawers. I think it is about 4 ft tall on wheels. I love it! I spent 2 hours filling it last night. I now have a counter top(for about a day). Only 1 set of cabinets (the ones above the sink are for dishes, 1 drawer for silverware (which are all candle and b&b tools anyway) and 1 cabinet for food. All the others are candles or b&b stuff. My packaging and other storage is in my spare room (which also looks like a bomb went off). I have wall repairs to do before the shelves can go up.

Your shed sounds perfect!!! My dream is a heated garage. Shelving, a stove, space, and some.. ok, a ton of supplies!

My kitchen is where I make candles and soap. DH and DS put up a shed for me this past summer but it doesn't have any electricity in it yet. Right now the only thing I can store in there is my tables, canopy and packing supplies along with curing soap. I don't put anything else out there that is sensitive to cold and heat.

We are planning on moving in a couple of years and DH said that we will be sure to buy a house where I have room to make my candles and soap.

We use our Kitchen at the present time.....but we are in the process of having a 30 x 50 Candle shop built....I have way more than outgrown my office, kitchen and house!! I have no room left to put anything else! I look forward to all the room we will have and I can pour and not have to clean up!! Yea

:yay:

I work in my kitchen too. I make such a mess in there that even I can't stand it any more. I keep most of my supplies in the basement, but a whole lot is still stored in my kitchen. I've got plenty of space in the basement to work but it's only got one small window and I don't especially dig the dungeon feel to the area so I won't work down there. I need natural light and need to hear what's going on in my surroundings. I can't hear much of anything down there so I've ruled that out as a work space. If someone came to my door I'd never hear them...since my door bell is broken. I think I'm going to take a break from candle making for a little while and clean up my kitchen. I'd really like to have my counter space back so that I can feel neat and organized again....it feels too chaotic with all this mess around me!

I used to work in the kitchen, but when we decided to redo the kitchen, my GF set me up with a work area in the basement. I have much more room down there and I don't have to worry about leaving a mess if I wind up working late. When I was in the kitchen I had to make sure everything was cleaned up and put away. A big PITA.

My garage. I absolutely LOVE it when it is nice enough to open up the garage when I'm pouring. It is such a chore in winter to try and heat the garage up a bit, warm jars and all that stuff to pour candles. OY.

Ditto, ditto and ditto! LOL

One day I hope to have the rest of it insulated and be able to route heat/AC in there. No puring for me from mif July through August. Maybe I can put a window AC unit in there this summer. I use a kerosene heater in winter, but it sure takes it a while to warm up enough to work out there.

I started in my kitchen and then moved to a room. Before too long, I outgrew that. I now have a shop and a store front. I wasn't as much prepared for this move as I would have like to have been, but the deal was just too good to pass up and I had to strike while the match was hot. I totally love my shop and have so much room for candles and B&B.