A good beer fo??

kristymn

I need to do a small run on a beer candle.  Since this won't be a staple in my regular line I'd rather not spend tons of time or energy testing a million different fo's. The one that I do have doesn't smell that great out of the bottle (not that beer smells *amazing* to being with.)  Can anyone recommend a decent beer fo?

(I'm sorry! I just noticed the FO forum.  Is there a way to delete posts??)

Edited by kristymn

Fixed it for ya.

Have you looked at Brambleberry's beer FOs? My favorite is their Oatmeal Stout. They also have an Spiced Amber Ale and a Honey Ale? I think. They were kind of tricky to find so I ususally do a 'beer' search on their site and the beer FOs come up.  But here's a link: https://www.brambleberry.com/Search.aspx?k=beer+fragrance

• Like 1

Only beer themed FO I have tried is roasted oatmeal stout from bulk apothecary but it just smells like cookies. Good oatmeal brown sugar cookie FO but nothing beer/stout about it. However I can tell that bulk apothecary does their own blending and so someone else's oatmeal stout FO might smell quite different. Just have a handful of same-name FO's between bulk apothecary and other companies, and bulk apothecary's all smell different from others with the same name.

Just a heads up-- I have tried all the beer FOs from Brambleberry including one they discontinued and not one of them smelled anything like beer. But I still loved their oatmeal stout. They do have slight 'yeasty' scents but that is as close to smelling like beer as they get. I bet its the same for other beer FOs.

I think C&S has one simply called 'beer'. But have not tried it.

• 2 months later...

you know I just can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to have their house, place, garage or anyplace for that matter smelling or "eeking" of beer.  It's disgusting and nasty and repulsing.... it really is.....I have a shop that sells quite a bit of wine scents I have to make and I gag all the time once that oil gets in the wax...but I just can't see it.   That's my opinion on this subject...lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

I have a sample of Beer by Natures Garden and I let a friend of mine that owns a bar smell it. She said that her husband and her scrubbed the bar down every morning to get that smell out of the place. This is no way meant to be negative about Natures Garden.... I love their scents....just not that one.

I have to agree with Trappeur on this one : )

Also totally agree with you, Trappeur and candlesncats.  I abhor the smell of beer, but one of my wholesalers requested it, so what to do?  Not a fan of alcohol scents in general, but we seem to get a fair amount of requests for them, especially wine.  

Obviously, some people like the smell of beer, while others don't ... I personally do not think it's an appealing scent and pretty much have zero taste for it.  I used to get requests for beer gel candles in which I used a caramel type of scent; for wine, I used to use a mulberry.  Some of the coffee scents that smell like Kahlua or other liqueurs can be interesting too.  I have an amaretto that I like, and some other "cocktail" scents can be nice since they are usually a combination of different fruits (i.e., pineapple/coconut, etc.) and there is a peach brandy scent that I've really wanted to try after smelling it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  

While scenting a candle in a beer scent may appeal to some, it just isn't going to appeal to everyone, but nothing will for that matter.

My husband will sometimes buy some specialty beer of one sort or another ... doesn't matter what brand to me! ...he'd better stay away, otherwise it can be a scene like the Pepe Le Pew cartoons!  :)

On 3/14/2018 at 3:32 PM, Trappeur said:

you know I just can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to have their house, place, garage or anyplace for that matter smelling or "eeking" of beer.  It's disgusting and nasty and repulsing.... it really is.....I have a shop that sells quite a bit of wine scents I have to make and I gag all the time once that oil gets in the wax...but I just can't see it.   That's my opinion on this subject...lol

Trappeur

Trapp ,you crack me up .I am always the one that has to empty the trash on my porch ,after my brothers night of beer drinking lol....It does just stink so bad. I do love to smell Peach Bellini oil ,however it is way different than beer smell lmao..Your post made me laugh till I was near tears this morning 😀😀😀

• 2 weeks later...

The best beer scent we found was from natures garden, and it smells like a light sweet lager. We had tons of requests for this fragrance when we started out since we vend at beer festivals a good amount. That said we discontinued using this scent almost 2 years ago. It smells nice but it never sold! That was one of our first lessons when it comes to acting on what customers say you should make!

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back as The Flamming Candle has just come out with a beer fragrance which I have in a recently poured candle waiting to be burned.  Smells pretty true OOB and as cold throw.  Not a complex craft beer or anything, but when you smell it, I feel like it does say "beer".  I will see how it burns soon.

I tried NG's Beer in soap and it smelled like a frat house after a 3 day party.   I sold a few but mostly as gag gifts.  Sold the rest for 1.00 just to get them gone.  People noses are different though.