CDN WICKS AND CD WICKS

I know there is a post somewhere where Moonshine posted the differences between a cd and cdn wicks but can't find.  I would like to order some cdn's.

If for example if using a cd 12 wick in a jar and I find this wick is too big, the next size down is a cd 12 but that wick is too small.  Which cdn would be the go between to try? Would it be a cdn 12 or a cdn 10?   cdn's burn cooler am I correct?

Thanks.

Trappeur

I can only answer this for my waxes. CDN is like a half size smaller than the same number CD. So if a CD 12 is too big by a bit a CDN12 might be a reasonable choice. 

CD 14 and CDN 14 always burned a little narrower melt pool in my candles than a CD 12 and cdn12. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LRed said:

Are wick diameters proportional to the increasing number or inversely proportional? i.e. is a cd12 bigger or smaller than a cd14?

There is is not a straightforward answer. While technically bigger, the cd14/cdn14 produces smaller diameter melt pools in my candles, but the rate of consumption is more. 

generally, the sizes are incremental upward with the numbers, all I can figure is the cd14 in my waxes is better able to draw up the melted wax fuel and burn more efficiently than the 12. 

Others may may have different experiences with the 14's, but that has been my experience for the past7 or so years that I have been using them in soy and parasoy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

There is is not a straightforward answer. While technically bigger, the cd14/cdn14 produces smaller diameter melt pools in my candles, but the rate of consumption is more. 

generally, the sizes are incremental upward with the numbers, all I can figure is the cd14 in my waxes is better able to draw up the melted wax fuel and burn more efficiently than the 12. 

Others may may have different experiences with the 14's, but that has been my experience for the past7 or so years that I have been using them in soy and parasoy.

I was going to say basically the same thing, just not as eloquently. LOL :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LRed said:

Thank you! I assumed this was the case but as I'm reading some posts, it didn't seem so clear cut as far as functionality and efficiency. I guess the answer is TEST TEST TEST?? ;)

Heh heh you catch on quickly 😁

Some places make their wick assemblies with smaller or larger wick tabs.

The neck height is the most important difference. A taller neck leaves more wax in the candle before self-extinguishing. The tab bottom diameter does nothing other than make it possible to add more adhesive from what I have seen. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, TallTayl said:

Thanks for this explanation. I have always wondered why the cd14 seemed consistantly 'lower' than the cd12. I can almost use them interchangeably, but the12 is def up a little for me. I need to find something between the 14/12 and the cd16, is there any? An LX(or other) perhaps?

On 10/1/2017 at 3:53 PM, Trappeur said:

I know there is a post somewhere where Moonshine posted the differences between a cd and cdn wicks but can't find.  I would like to order some cdn's.

If for example if using a cd 12 wick in a jar and I find this wick is too big, the next size down is a cd 12 but that wick is too small.  Which cdn would be the go between to try? Would it be a cdn 12 or a cdn 10?   cdn's burn cooler am I correct?

Thanks.

Trappeur

With 415 if the CD 12 is too big and the CD 10 to small the CDN12 is usually always perfect 

it burns a touch cooler than cd in soy 

now with 415 being "different" now my CD 10 jars are to hot so I go to a CD8- if the 8 isn't enough I go to a CDN 10 

so basically strart with the wick that's too much in CD use the same in a CDN and see if that works if not go down again to the next CDN

4 hours ago, Lighten Up said:

Thanks for this explanation. I have always wondered why the cd14 seemed consistantly 'lower' than the cd12. I can almost use them interchangeably, but the12 is def up a little for me. I need to find something between the 14/12 and the cd16, is there any? An LX(or other) perhaps?

The same for me in 415....the CD14 is smaller than the 12 and I get huge mushrooms with them and basically never use or try them anymore at all 

like TT said the CDN16 could work or try the CDN12 - in the past I used CDN 16 in 16 ounce Mason jars but now I have to use a CDN12 and CD10 

Edited by moonshine

• 1 month later...

Over a month late...

I'm searching for CDN wicks as well so I went browsing through old posts. According to the posts, the main difference in CD and CDN wicks is that the CDN, before being primed, is given a treatment to resist the acidity of vegetable waxes. Other than that, they're the same style of wick.

Here's a link: Stella1952's post

(How do I do one of those post within a post things?)

Edit: And I just realized that wasn't what the question was asking... Oops?

Edited by Kerven

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/19/2017 at 12:18 AM, moonshine said:

CDN work very well in soy 

if your looking to find them southwest candle supply carries the most sizes and are very consistent in having them available 

Did this change? Been looking online and seems Candle Cocoon now offers a wider range of sizes. 30.00 for a sample kit though? Jeeze!