GB wax ?

I have been reading the problems with the different brands of wax.

I have not bought GB wax for a couple years..

I use 415, is there any problems going on with it that I should know about before I buy it again?

I mostly make for myself and gifts.

I have had good luck with this wax once I learned how to use it.

any feedback would be appreciated

This is sad, with so many different waxes being changed, and causing so many problems, it's almost like they're trying to sabotage the smaller candle makers..

But if the makers of wax can't  figure out how to produce wax that is useable, they're going to be hurting too because people are not going to be buying the wax..

I just feel for the ones that have made a good candle business for themselves..

It is challenging!!!

Mostly the wicks. Throw doesn't seem too off. A few fragrances, that were fine before, are giving me minor problems (lemon, cinnamon, and chocolate scents so far) but its manageable. On the other hand, some of the fragrances I've had trouble with before are performing better (heavier florals and vanillas). I wouldn't say it's a terribly large difference but it is there.

• Thanks 1

I've been using 415 for over 10 years, it's what I started with and I just stuck with it. So far, with my 2017 pallet, I am wicking down 1 size across the board and getting a nice burn and a decent hot throw. Mine get only a 24 hr cure, so I feel that my testers get stronger as they age.

Before I ordered my wax this year, I did talk to a couple of people at AAK, one of them at length. He described the processing to me and they do have what they call a 'wax lab' and I believe they have 2 people that make and test candles there, so, I feel like they are not dismissing us.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the soy wax was changed because of the FDA's regulations on some fats? Not sure when that would have been.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, GoldieMN said:

Never thought of this, but I'm guessing the large soy-making candle companies have also been affected.  Do they test every new batch of soy wax?  

GoldieMN

I was wondering that myself. After talking to AAK though, I wonder if their waxes are custom formulated and have strict parameters.

• Like 1

I was going to pour 13 new fragrance oils to test and realized even if they worked, I wouldn't have enough wax to make finished jars for sale so had to set that aside and reorder wax.  Disappointed in the throw as it isn't what it use to be for me.  (464, pint canning jars, Premier wicks 770 or #10-12 Cds, approx. 6.8%fragrance oil).  On the other hand, I bought a different tart burner and my tarts/clamshells have a great hot throw.  I'm so sick of testing, but I know it HAS to be the wicks. . .the only other variable is the amount of fragrance oil.  Has anyone adjusted the oil percentage?

GoldieMN

I have but that requires retesting as well which is an enourmous pain and cost. Also if I have to start adding more fragrance just to get the results i was getting before... ill look elsewhere. I mostly use a parasoy so Ive been fine. However, I did aggressively tackle the new eco waxes... which are just abysmal in my opinion. Thats for a different discussion. Just going to have to be done 100% soys for now. Too many issues

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I have but that requires retesting as well which is an enourmous pain and cost. Also if I have to start adding more fragrance just to get the results i was getting before... ill look elsewhere. I mostly use a parasoy so Ive been fine. However, I did aggressively tackle the new eco waxes... which are just abysmal in my opinion. Thats for a different discussion. Just going to have to be done 100% soys for now. Too many issues

Oh man, do I hear you with the pain and cost of retesting.  *shudder*

GoldieMN

On 9/29/2017 at 1:07 PM, Lighten Up said:

I've been using 415 for over 10 years, it's what I started with and I just stuck with it. So far, with my 2017 pallet, I am wicking down 1 size across the board and getting a nice burn and a decent hot throw. Mine get only a 24 hr cure, so I feel that my testers get stronger as they age.

Before I ordered my wax this year, I did talk to a couple of people at AAK, one of them at length. He described the processing to me and they do have what they call a 'wax lab' and I believe they have 2 people that make and test candles there, so, I feel like they are not dismissing us.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that the soy wax was changed because of the FDA's regulations on some fats? Not sure when that would have been.

So you are having to wick down from your norm and your noticing a difference in ht?

I certainly can get by wicking down as well and the throw is okay but nothing like it used to be before the new FDA regulations....which completely blows because I know what it COULD be like but it's just not anymore 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 8:51 PM, GoldieMN said:

I was going to pour 13 new fragrance oils to test and realized even if they worked, I wouldn't have enough wax to make finished jars for sale so had to set that aside and reorder wax.  Disappointed in the throw as it isn't what it use to be for me.  (464, pint canning jars, Premier wicks 770 or #10-12 Cds, approx. 6.8%fragrance oil).  On the other hand, I bought a different tart burner and my tarts/clamshells have a great hot throw.  I'm so sick of testing, but I know it HAS to be the wicks. . .the only other variable is the amount of fragrance oil.  Has anyone adjusted the oil percentage?

GoldieMN

You use 464 and nothing in your system has changed but the wax? Or you switched  wicks?

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

So you are having to wick down from your norm and your noticing a difference in ht?

I certainly can get by wicking down as well and the throw is okay but nothing like it used to be before the new FDA regulations....which completely blows because I know what it COULD be like but it's just not anymore 

My wick testing is down 1 size across the board -based on my first few testers with the new batch of wax. I feel the HT is more than adequate. Also, I have a couple friends that test for me once the candle can leave here. I'm getting good feedback, so far. I don't know if I am noticing much of a difference, but I am not unhappy.

18 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Oh man, do I hear you with the pain and cost of retesting.  *shudder*

GoldieMN

Problem is I am finding no suitable alternatives.

The new quantum waxes are absolutely atrocious. If they dont fix the problem, NGI/EcoBrands wont be around too long. The waxes are barely usable.

I dont like 464 or 415 myself but for different "normal" reasons, Lol. I dont think anything compares to CB-Advanced which is of course gone now.

Ive been doing everything I can to try and find a descent alternative or even try blending several... just not happy with anything soy anymore

It's not funny but it kinda is....I'm disgusted and discouraged as well 

what is it about 415 you don't like?  I am a little surprised to hear you like advanced as it's one of the soys that looks absolutely beautiful but hardly throws at all, very finicky wax with FO 

my customers want soy and I'm at my wits end figuring this out 

415 will still get me by wicking down but it's a crap load of more tests to be sure each fragrance is going to work well going this route - some may need to go down 2 sizes 🙈

I am going to introduce a couple different blends I have been testing slowly in tins to see the reaction and feedback I get from people and hopefully they will come around so I can just move on from this straight soy crap once and for all - and it does make me sad because I LOVED my 415! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moonshine said:

It's not funny but it kinda is....I'm disgusted and discouraged as well 

what is it about 415 you don't like?  I am a little surprised to hear you like advanced as it's one of the soys that looks absolutely beautiful but hardly throws at all, very finicky wax with FO 

my customers want soy and I'm at my wits end figuring this out 

415 will still get me by wicking down but it's a crap load of more tests to be sure each fragrance is going to work well going this route - some may need to go down 2 sizes 🙈

I am going to introduce a couple different blends I have been testing slowly in tins to see the reaction and feedback I get from people and hopefully they will come around so I can just move on from this straight soy crap once and for all - and it does make me sad because I LOVED my 415! 

Maybe I was just lucky on the FOs I was using (But I use about 75 different ones) and for the most part had great success with Advanced. However, my soy line was much smaller than my parasoy or parrafin lines. Its not that I loved Advanced... I just preferred it over everything else so far.

And I dont hate 415... just dont like it by itself. Don't like the way it looks (often) or the way it performs. Its better for blending... at least for me.

I would totally avoid soy if it was up to me... except there are 2 reasons I keep using it:

1) Many customers ask or insist on it (they usually dont have good reasons, but thats irrelevant)

2) far less soot or at least black soot on the jars.... even siginificantly better than parasoys in my opinon. So on jars with shoulders, this is really noticeable

I mostly use 6006.... which is a total PITA to wick properly.. but makes a great overall candle. Still will product more soot than all soy though

So 6006 is the comparable to Clarus 3020, I always thought it was the 3022 but I was Wrong 

that said 3020 and 6006 have a higher percentage of paraffin which makes sense it would soot more 

have you ever tried the 3022?

This is 70 percent veggies 30 paraffin and it's a very nice wax with very good ct and ht and wicked correctly hardly any soot at all 

• Like 1