I want to make this!

I want to make this melt for to go on the tops of my candles as you have seen them posted before (my doo dads).

Isn't this just gorgeous.

But I'm wondering how it was done.  Look at the edges of the melt.  It almost looks like it was applied with a feathery whispy brush look.  Anyone ever do this or have suggestions of how to create this look?  Love the colors and everything about this.

Do you think it was made with maybe some gold shimmer dust like what RE carries?  Maybe I could try that and just add the shimmer dust to the embed while it is still tacky.  That's what I am thinking....

Trappeur596a0bc7a7bd9_leafmold.jpg.ff96d26c78189c283834308010373496.jpg 

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

It's beautiful ... I'm sure  soap glitter could be applied before/after. I has a silly question, does the additional  embed wax hinder the melt pool  across the top of  candle.  The embeds are beautiful . Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

My guess would be they sprinkled the mica in the mold first, then poured the wax on top.

Edit:  Yeah, what Sponie said.  :)   (I didn't see his reply before I posted)

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1

But if I painted the interior of the mold wouldn't it dissolve into the wax once the wax is poured?  And then the purpose of having a little shimmer on the outside of the melt would now be gone?

Trappeur

27 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

But if I painted the interior of the mold wouldn't it dissolve into the wax once the wax is poured?  And then the purpose of having a little shimmer on the outside of the melt would now be gone?

Trappeur

I don't work with wax much so I really couldn't say for sure, BUT we use this same technique in cold process soap and in melt and pour soap to get that effect so I would THINK it'd be ok, HOWEVER you might make an ultra concentrated version of wax to hot paint into the mold first before you pour... @TallTayl <----- I agree with Moonie SHE's the one to ask about THIS... (Just try'na get her attention @Moonstar)

8 hours ago, Moonstar said:

*deadhorse*

WHAT ARE YOU DOING MOONIE!!!!!!!!!?
I WAS GOING TO EAT THAT!!!! (I wasn't trying to steal anything... Honest! I was only detailing the how-to...)

:((

Sponiebr...  

I've used very fine glitter in embed molds before, but I've never tried mica.  One thing is that too much fine glitter can sometimes clog wicks, where larger glitters typically move away from the wick, but small amounts are okay.  It does look pretty, maybe as though it was gone over with a dry brush, but then I don't know how it would stick, so perhaps it was brushed into the mold.

That's Beautiful! it looks like cosmetic micas I use in soap and bath bombs. For bath bombs you can blend a little 91 rubbing alcohol and paint on the bath bombs. You might could try it on wax possibly, but I'm not sure. 

I have worked extensively with melts and mica. I fully believe this was done with mica.  Glitter will in no way give you this effect.  From what I can tell in the pic, I can count maybe 12 plus colors of mica. Think about it like a painting...creating depth. It was dry brushed on by color, building and building up each color, darkest to lightest. I think this can easily be achieved. I would suggest the following supplier for micas. You can buy in small amounts and therefore get lots of colors. The smallest size they offer would be plenty to do this. With mica a little goes a long way. 

https://howtomakecosmetics.com/

Also reading the posts....this was most definitely done dry, with a Paintbrush. You can put micas directly into the mold before pouring, but that will not come anywhere near giving you this result, some will sick to the surface of the melts and some with end up in the wax. This is way too detailed to be done before pouring. Mica has no problem sticking to the wax, especially if the wax is a slightly softer style. But I've never had a problem with it even sticking to tart wax and my wax is hard. I've tried alcohol and it will work for one layer of color only. You wouldn't be able to build up the color like in the image, with using a wetting agent. 

Also do they have this exact mold at Flexible Molds, if you're looking for this leaf. Saw it yesterday. 

I also agree, that this was done with micas, drybrushed in layers. I can (and have) gotten that same look or very very close to same look with 2-3 layers using only 2-3 colors of micas.

As others have said, a little bit of mica can go a very long way. Because I work with micas in my soaps, I have a ton of colors.

What I do to get the color to stick to the wax is I spray with 91% RA, let dry, dry rub the mica, spray, let dry, dry rub the second layer, etc., until I achieve the look I'm going for, being careful not to get heavy handed with the spray, because it will make the mica run if you spray too much or get it too wet. However, with the little bit of spray, it sets it because the RA will evaporate fast, leaving only the mica behind stuck on the wax. 

There are several wax/candle suppliers that also sell soaping supplies, and will have mica available, so you may not even have to find a new supplier. When I get back in the states, I will find some of my melts I've done this with so you can see the comparison, and see how easy it actually is to achieve. 

The only downside I can see, is if you put this on top of a candle as an embed, micas do not mix with wax, so once it melts down into the candle it will just sort of float around and sink. (I doubt the little bit you'd use on a melt/embed would be enough to hinder the burn in anyway, or clog the wick, but as always, you'd just have to test it out) 

On 7/16/2017 at 10:57 AM, earthfriendly said:

Nice, but would it be worth it considering it might be time consuming

Wow, I have learned so much on this thread.   I will attempt to try this with mica as suggested brushed on.  Now that I know all this, I realize it won't look like this which is heavily detailed so I will try just a very light brushed teal with a tad bit of the gold on the edges.  I think it could be really pretty in a large mold such as this on one of the large 7" wide cyrstal jars I make.  But I will make for myself.  I will try and post a picture when done.....Thankyou.

Trappeur

• Like 1