End of candle wax

That is definitely in the safe range.  I know lots seem to think it's not good unless it burns to the very last drop but that simply isn't safe when the glass gets that hot at the bottom.  I like at least a 1/4" left but it's not always possible so you hope they follow the caution label instructions.

• Like 2

That's how much I usually have left on the candles I make myself. I'll admit that before learning about how to make candles I would let purchased ones burn down until they went out themselves and the containers would be practically empty. But now I know that's very unsafe. 

• Like 1

The amount of wax left in the jar indicates that your tab is working. The candle is supposed to extinquish itself at the top of the neck of the wick tab.

Frankly I would be more concerned with the amount of soot buildup on your jar. That looks to me like your candle was overwicked or you were using too much fragrance or both. But it indicates you need to do more testing.

• Like 2

I was going to say the same thing 

amount of wax is good but that jar has a lot of soot

your using soy right?  You should not see soy soot at all in a correctly wicked candle unless you snuff it with a lid and leave it there 

what wax and wicks are you using again?

and how long did you let them cure?

Edited by moonshine

This was the one I did not let cure. I have the same pour that's cured 2 weeks to begin testing Saturday. This is c-3 wax w/ eco 16 wick. It did mushroom the entire burn, so the next pour I am going to try eco 14. Ive also read a lot of people like cd wicks in soy - thoughts? My scent load is 6% so doubtful it's that but it could be that this one didn't cure but 24 hrs. @moonshine

48 minutes ago, infertilemyrtle said:

This was the one I did not let cure. I have the same pour that's cured 2 weeks to begin testing Saturday. This is c-3 wax w/ eco 16 wick. It did mushroom the entire burn, so the next pour I am going to try eco 14. Ive also read a lot of people like cd wicks in soy - thoughts? My scent load is 6% so doubtful it's that but it could be that this one didn't cure but 24 hrs. @moonshine

The issues I was having with CD wicks in 464 was wax hang up on the jar. I was told on here by a very experienced candle maker ( can't remember his name)

that CD wicks "lean" I guess I never thought about that until he mentioned it but he was right. The hang up was always on one side of the jar. I don't want that

to discourage you because many on here use them with good results. So it might just be my experience with them. They also burn VERY hot IMO .

Im actually going to try the ECO wicks down the road since I have so many of them. Please repost your results, Im curious now to see if it's just me having 

these issues with the CD wicks - which could very possibly be the case :( 

1 hour ago, infertilemyrtle said:

Ok yes that makes a huge difference 

the candle has to cure to get a proper burn - I would say at least 5 days or more for sure and eco 16 is a huge wick for that size jar- they very burn hot from experience in soy 

I would even try a 10 and a 12 for that size -8 ounce square in the picture?

your Scent load is perfectly fine but some fragrances can burn wonky so make good detailed notes on that and I would try that fragrance again with a smaller wick 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

The issues I was having with CD wicks in 464 was wax hang up on the jar. I was told on here by a very experienced candle maker ( can't remember his name)

that CD wicks "lean" I guess I never thought about that until he mentioned it but he was right. The hang up was always on one side of the jar. I don't want that

to discourage you because many on here use them with good results. So it might just be my experience with them. They also burn VERY hot IMO .

Im actually going to try the ECO wicks down the road since I have so many of them. Please repost your results, Im curious now to see if it's just me having 

these issues with the CD wicks - which could very possibly be the case :( 

CD does burn hot in some applications, definitely more so in 464 than 415 and they do also curl. They are self trimming wicks but if you ever try them again try twisting your wick....it helps keep the burn even as it goes down 

• Like 1

I was thinking the same exact thing about the jar being very sooty.  Looks over wicked to me also. 

With that wax c-3 and that jar, the wick I used was 1 htp 104 and in cd's I would use either 1 cd 10 or cd 12 depending on the oil.  And a thing I do is twist my wicks.  It really helps.

Cd's do burn hotter and they do lean.  The htp's also lean.  But they do catch up after the first couple of burns.  Just a matter of learning to accept it.  I really never used any other style wick.  I have been wanting to start testing with the premiers.  Old Glory used 464 and those were her choice of wicks.  She made gorgeous candles.  

Now I have one of Moonshines candles in the same exact jar - an 8oz square mason and her candles burn totally awesome, so clean, no soot...just beautiful.  But I think she uses 415 - but I think they are cd's.....

Myrtle always remember when ever you use generally a mason jar,  they have a shoulder and the heat gets trapped into it and it's going to produce more heat than a straight wall jar.

It's nice you put up pictures of your works Myrtle so others can see a visual and help where needed.  Hang in there.  Your doing good.:)

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

I was thinking the same exact thing about the jar being very sooty.  Looks over wicked to me also. 

With that wax c-3 and that jar, the wick I used was 1 htp 104 and in cd's I would use either 1 cd 10 or cd 12 depending on the oil.

Cd's do burn hotter and they do lean.  The htp's also lean.  But they do catch up after the first couple of burns.  Just a matter of learning to accept it.  I really never used any other style wick.  I have been wanting to start testing with the premiers.  Old Glory used 464 and those were her choice of wicks.  She made gorgeous candles.  

Now I have one of Moonshines candles in the same exact jar - an 8oz square mason and her candles burn totally awesome, so clean, no soot...just beautiful.  But I think she uses 415 - but I think they are cd's.....

Myrtle always remember when ever you use generally a mason jar,  they have a shoulder and the heat gets trapped into it and it's going to produce more heat than a straight wall jar.

It's nice you put up pictures of your works Myrtle so others can see a visual and help where needed.  Hang in there.  Your doing good.:)

Trappeur

Thanks Trapp- ?

yes I use 415 with the CD wicks - size 10 is my most used size for that jar - to help with the lean I twist the wick 

it's been awhile since I used C3 but I think that was comparable as far being a firmer set soy like the 415

1 minute ago, infertilemyrtle said:

@Trappeur thank  you for the feedback! Is there a reason you don't use eco wicks? I believe it was you who mentioned you used to work with C-3. I really like the eco wick in my 16oz jar, so I would prefer to stick with one brand just to prevent myself from completely going mad, ha!

No reason Myrtle, I guess for the same reason as you, for not going nuts.  I probably should experiment with all other wicks out there, but just don't.  If I do an oil that doesn't work with a cd, call me lazy or whatever, I just know not to offer that fragrance.  The only time I tried eco's was when I was trying to wick the 22 ounce big tureen jar.  I never did figure out that jjar and never pursued it after weeks and weeks.  There were others who have used that jar and said what wicks they used, but when I used what they suggested, it was just horrible for me with deep melt pools and very hot jars, just not the way I think a candle should have been wicked. I thought that I could find my wick for that jar....I truly did.  I do a lot of double and triple wicking as I do a lot of huge jars, crystal pieces that are 5 to 8" in diameter and really got to perfect large jars (I'm proud of myself in that area), lol...but that tureen was a bugger but one day I am going to get back to it again and try and succeed. 

Now if you like the eco's then by all means stick with that brand and just continue to test and learn to perfect "that" wick using "the" soy" of your choice.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  And if you find that the smaller wick is too small and the next size wick up is too big, then either you chuck that fragrance or try another completely different brand of wick.  You will find I'm sure this is going to happen in instances.  In a case like that, that is where you need an inbetween size wick that isn't offered.  There was a great  member here, Old Glory, who just loved her Premiers because they have sooooo  many sizes in their line which covered all the inbetween sizes that sometimes we need.  And if I was going to test another brand, this would be my choice of brand wick to try next.

Years ago I started out with c3 wax because my sister who also makes candles used that for her choice and I learned from her and I used that wax and still do now and then.  I used to order wax from Community Candle years back (their name at the time b/4 they sold it was Alabaster Candle)  and then one day when I went to place an order they were out of it so the owner told me she would send me a box of 415 as she said it was similar to c3 and I could probably use the same size wicks and brand as I did for the c3.  So I took her advice and did go with 415 and I really liked it.   But you do have to pour cooler at the slush stage...Now  I thought that would bother me waiting for the slushy stage....which it did, but what I found what worked for me is that when I pour wax being that I do a top off (or repour) it really doesn't matter what stage of temperature I pour at, because I'm going to top off the candle with a 2'nd and final repour so what difference does it make what the stage I pour at is, unless of course you are only doing 1 pour and this pour can leave beautiful smooth tops..  So I was then using 415....Then one day the same owner at Community Candle told me that since I liked 415, I might want to try 464 as it was easier to work with and I could pour at a higher temperature, so I did, and here I am today using it still.

You know we see so many newbies who come here and have not 1 wax,  but 2 or 3 waxes they are testing all at the same time so they can figure out what wax they want to go with.  And also instead of working with just (1) jar to begin with they may have 2 or 3 jars they are testing with these 2 to 3 different waxes and it is just mind boggling to me when I see this.  How in the world can they figure out what wax they want to stick with when if they are new to this hobby and really don't know much about how to even make a candle, no less start experimenting with all these things?  They have nothing to compare to one another so how in the world can they make a choice?  My suggestion is read and read and read and you will learn so much from the seasoned chandlers on the board here.  There are so many here that have been at if for years that you learn the proper way to make a candle.  You can learn so much from people here as they have been there and back.  I would much rather learn from the ones who know what the heck they are doing then a book and you tube videos....be very very careful there....I can't begin to tell you some or 'MOST" of the videos I have seen make me shutter.....So many come here and ask the same darn questions, over and over and over and we try to help as best as we can and we all repeat, repeat, and repeat what we have been saying for years here on the board when if people would just take the time to read and learn and start experimenting themselves.  This isn't a hobby that you can ask what wick do I use for this jar and have your answer.  That question has way too many variables.  I think so many who come here think they are going to ask a quick question, get a quick answer, then they go and do what was suggested and then they are in business next week! lol....It happens!  I've seen it over and over.   God help them....is all I have to say.

Well, your doing a good job Myrtle, just hang in there and ask away what ever you need help on and you'll get help in the best way we can.....;)

Trappeur

• Like 5

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Thanks Trapp- ?

yes I use 415 with the CD wicks - size 10 is my most used size for that jar - to help with the lean I twist the wick 

it's been awhile since I used C3 but I think that was comparable as far being a firmer set soy like the 415

Your very welcome Moonshine....well you do.....you make a beautiful candle!

Got a question.....do the cdn's burn not as hot as the cd's?......I can't remember...I was just thinking maybe for some inbetween sizes that I should try a cdn.

Trappeur

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Your very welcome Moonshine....well you do.....you make a beautiful candle!

Got a question.....do the cdn's burn not as hot as the cd's?......I can't remember...I was just thinking maybe for some inbetween sizes that I should try a cdn.

Trappeur

For me they do with the 415

when a CD 12 is too much wick and hotter than I am comfortable with and the 10 isn't quite enough usually always the CDN 12 is perfect - they are the same wick bit the coating based more for Soy makes them burn a little cooler in certain applications - if that makes any sense 

but overall the CDN's like the 10 or the 14 I wasn't quite happy with overall

I also use the CDN 16 in the 12 ounce salsa jar with some FO's but the 14 on me mushroom like crazy same goes for the 14 in CD

3 hours ago, moonshine said:

Ok yes that makes a huge difference 

the candle has to cure to get a proper burn - I would say at least 5 days or more for sure and eco 16 is a huge wick for that size jar- they very burn hot from experience in soy 

I would even try a 10 and a 12 for that size -8 ounce square in the picture?

your Scent load is perfectly fine but some fragrances can burn wonky so make good detailed notes on that and I would try that fragrance again with a smaller wick 

Looked at my notes and with eco that jar a 8 or 10 should work 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Great!  thanks a bunch!   I've got a jar I need an inbetween size and it sounds like a cdn would work.

who do you recommend where I can get?

Trappeur

I get mine from southwest because they have more sizes and the right tab height as opposed to CC

I Can send you some to try I have hundreds - let me know what sizes 

I can confirm Moonshine makes a kickass soy candle. Her's burn the way a candle should with great scent throw, no soot buildup, and total consumption.

Just wanted to add that CD wicks are designed as self trimming wicks that curl as they burn. The curl is built in for burn efficiency from the manufacturer. You don't need to do anything with them. However, I like others, found the curl to cause one side of the jar to overheat as it burned. That's why you will see recommendations to 'twist' the wick to keep it from curling.

• Like 2