Hey everyone

Pamaroma

Hope this is posting under the welcome board for new members. I'm typing from my phone, so I hope I'm doing this right. I am VERY new to candle making. I am disabled with a severe spine deformity called flatback syndrome caused from scoliosis surgery I had at age 14.  I'm now 49. I obtain a master's degree in social work and worked as a mental health and substance abuse therapist for many years and when I became disabled in 2011 I went thru and am still going thru severe depression from sitting home alone in chronic pain all the time. I live by myself with my two Chihuahuas and two cats. My sister and two nephews live next door and aging parents live down the road. I am from south Georgia. I decided to take up candle making as a hobby about a year ago. I experiment with it when I can. I have some IGI 4630, JOY wax, and some 464. The 464 is what I am really interested in for some reason right now. I love its texture and the fact it comes in flakes rather than slabs. However, again, I'm new with candle making and have not obtained the art of a great scent throw yet with any of the waxes. I use cd wicks although I do have zinc wicks that I used in the IGI 4630. I love this site and look forward to making new friends. I hope to learn the art of great scent throw so that I can make candles from my kitchen occasionally and sell to people in my little hometown of Lakeland Ga, which is where I live way down south. If ANYONE can help me on here in public forum or private message with any tips on ANY of the waxes I would appreciate it so very much and it will never go  unforgotten. Thanks again for accepting me here and I look forward to getting to know each of you.  I have a facebook page too if any of you want to request me there. Sorry for any typos from typing from this little phone. Sincerely, Pam Weldon

• Like 3

I'm new here too, and everyone has made me feel very welcome! 

I've been pouring GW444 -- similar to the GW464, with a couple of differences.  I've never poured GW464, but jumped from GW415 to GW444. 

(From what I understand, the GW444 has a higher fragrance load than the GW464.)

I've been repouring candles for some nearby neighbors in my small town, and next week, I plan to post a little notice at the Post Office bulletin board to offer my services.  :)

Welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome to Craft Server Pam! Glad to have you with us! Sorry I don't use your wax but there are members on this forum that do. Check out the wax sections, we have a general wax and a natural wax forum. You can pose your questions re your wax there and get some help and tips on it. Good luck and have fun learning how to make candles!

• Like 1

Hi Pam ,I am a newbie as well. I am also disabled with spinal stenosis& fibromyalgia. I know how you feel going thru the chronic pain. I have good days & bad. I  lost both parents & my brother within a 2 year time frame . It has caused me to have severe depression & anxiety .Life has been a struggle for me & I to wanted to do something to pass the time. I started making wax melts ,chunks & other unique items. It helps me keep my mind busy. I do make candles occasionally ,but mainly stick with the wax melts. I love making tarts & candles are such a challenge. There is so much more to learn about candle making & you are in the right place. I to have been reading this for a while & decided to join. This board is full of pros & they can be very helpful ,you can learn so much here. I can tell you my favorite wax for candle making has been the 4630 & zinc wicks. I like it because it is a one pour wax ,takes color well & has great scent throw. I know the wicking has been my biggest challenge. Each scent has to be tested & every oil differs .You are in the right place to learn  & the members here are so helpful & kind. I admire your ambition & never give up on anything you want to do. You will be a great success with your wax adventure. God bless you ,Kathy

• Like 1

Welcome to the board, Pam! 

The best kind of wax starts with what you are interested in making :) I know, how helpful is that? 

I got into candlemaking to fight against depression in the 1990s and now it's simply part of my creative outlet. 

I hope you enjoy your time here! 

• Like 1

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome and such wonderful inspiration. It's about 4:30 a.m. and I just woke up and decided to check the forum out and y'all have me wanting to crawl out of bed and practice now. I just might! I have a wonderful fragrance called old fashion banana pudding from natures garden that smells delicious from the bottle and has such high reviews on the website. I am going to make some in the 464 8 oz jars today. Of course I'll have to impatiently wait on them to cure to test. Thanks again!!!

Yes patience is definitely something you have to have when making candles. I wish you the best & never stop pouring...Please post results for us .Banana pudding sounds yummy! I have never ordered from NG & will be soon. I am going to try their Tangerine Dreams & Sea salt Caramels. I am looking for replacements for TCS in these scents. I have read nothing but good reviews about this company. Keep on pouring & never give up . God Bless ,Kathy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

I am going to try their Tangerine Dreams & Sea salt Caramels. I am looking for replacements for TCS in these scents. 

Hi Kathy and welcome to you too!  

NG is not one of my usual suppliers so I would love to hear about your findings on NG Tangerine Dreams as I am also looking for a TCS replacement. :)

• Like 1

HI Pam! Welcome to the board! It's always nice to meet new members. We are a great big family of FO addicts so welcome to your new addiction! LOL!

Seriously though, you will make a lot of new friends here and get loads of help. People on here are always so willing to help each other and give tips about things. I've learned so much and am still learning.

I surely do admire your determination. You are an inspiration to me for sure!

I've never used 464 wax but have made a few candles with 4630. I really like it. I use it to mix with another wax for my clamshells and molded shapes. I mostly make melts/tarts and am not an accomplished candle maker right now. Maybe one day I will be!

Don't hesitate to ask questions and again, welcome and glad to have you here!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 0:03 PM, Belinda said:

HI Pam! Welcome to the board! It's always nice to meet new members. We are a great big family of FO addicts so welcome to your new addiction! LOL!

Seriously though, you will make a lot of new friends here and get loads of help. People on here are always so willing to help each other and give tips about things. I've learned so much and am still learning.

I surely do admire your determination. You are an inspiration to me for sure!

I've never used 464 wax but have made a few candles with 4630. I really like it. I use it to mix with another wax for my clamshells and molded shapes. I mostly make melts/tarts and am not an accomplished candle maker right now. Maybe one day I will be!

Don't hesitate to ask questions and again, welcome and glad to have you here!

I am going to make clam shells to. I have ordered the natures garden pillar bliss wax to try my hand at that since their site has high reviews using that wax with it. They sound really easy to make. Everyone on this site sounds so inviting and warm. I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone and learning with each of you!

9 minutes ago, Pamaroma said:

...Everyone on this site sounds so inviting and warm. I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone and learning with each of you!

I also just love this site, although I am also new so many people have been willing to help and offer advice.  I also think it is great that if people have info to share they do it regardless of if it is not their specialty, I have seen many Chandlers offer advice and help to the Soapers and vice versa.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WanderlustSoaps said:

I also just love this site, although I am also new so many people have been willing to help and offer advice.  I also think it is great that if people have info to share they do it regardless of if it is not their specialty, I have seen many Chandlers offer advice and help to the Soapers and vice versa.

That is great.

Welcome Pamaroma

Your story is very inspiring and motivating, I started candles many years ago for different reasons (the economy crash and I thought I would get rich learning the art of candles and selling them, well that did NOT happen as I was clueless what all was involved in making a safe candle and all the expenses and years to do so) but it has helped me as well to take my mind off all the curve balls life has thrown at me.

Over the last couple of years I developed anxiety and I am medicated now for it because it got that bad and I now have TMJ as a result of all the stress and clenching and teeth grinding - finding a correct dentist/doctor has taken me over a year, with a couple in between that made me worse but I have to believe and hope I am on the right path to getting relief now, I have 4 more weeks to get all my orthodics back from the lab 

I feel your pain even though it's a different kind and I hope the candle hobby can keep your mind busy and and give you a mental boost- it's very fun and rewarding when you nail that perfect candle!

I used to use 464, it is a very nice wax once you learn how to work with it, Trappeur uses it and makes a very beautiful candle so hopefully she can chime in and give you more advice 

I believe I used the CD wicks as well with it, I do remember for sure I did not like the HTP series in this wax - 1 to 1.5 ounces of FO per pound and I did not dye them

I did not have to pour super cool with this wax either, I want to say around 150 maybe - I would have to look back at my notes and I did use additives at the end of using this wax to harden it up some, beeswax and palm stearic, I was experimenting with both of them (not using both together) but I then switched to 415

also if you end up liking the 464 you can make wonderful melts in clamshells with this wax alone or adding some PB to it so you don't have to have a ton of different waxes to make your creations 

Good luck to you and again, welcome 

Edited by moonshine

Hi Pam!! :hello: Welcome to the group!  We are so glad you are here and want to encourage you to let your creation vibes run wild along with ours! :) 

About 1 month ago I found out my 54 year old sister is dealing with scoliosis. I have seen her xrays and films and I think she is going to have a rough road ahead of her. She hid this for a long time and worked until she just can't anymore. A shock to us all. She is going to see her Dr tomorrow to get her MRI results and we will learn of her prognosis, what options are available to her if any, what surgery is available if any.....very scary stuff. She has also recently filed for disability and was told she would definitely get it. So, I am encouraged by your determination to keep doing, keep moving, keep creating. I wish this for my sister also.

Wishing you always the very best and I am looking forward to your contributions on this site. :)   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, puma52 said:

Hi Pam!! :hello: Welcome to the group!  We are so glad you are here and want to encourage you to let your creation vibes run wild along with ours! :) 

About 1 month ago I found out my 54 year old sister is dealing with scoliosis. I have seen her xrays and films and I think she is going to have a rough road ahead of her. She hid this for a long time and worked until she just can't anymore. A shock to us all. She is going to see her Dr tomorrow to get her MRI results and we will learn of her prognosis, what options are available to her if any, what surgery is available if any.....very scary stuff. She has also recently filed for disability and was told she would definitely get it. So, I am encouraged by your determination to keep doing, keep moving, keep creating. I wish this for my sister also.

Wishing you always the very best and I am looking forward to your contributions on this site. :)   

Oh my, I will keep your sister in my prayers. Please keep me posted. In a private message if you would prefer. If you or your sister need to call me, I will not mind giving you my phone number as well. Dealing with chronic back pain is not fun and can lead to a road of very deep depression, as with I'm sure anyone with any type of disability and pain issues. Again, please keep me posted and I'm here if you need me. Thank you for your support and inspiration!

• Like 1