Status Jars Lids

I recently read a post where someone suggested buying the lids for these jars from Lonestar or Fillmore containers.  I am referring to the Status Jars they sell in the Dollar Tree.  I buy them there and would like to buy the lids for it.   I am attaching the picture here so you can see which jar I am referring to.   How do I know what size lid to purchase?  Lonestar doesn't describe the measurement.  Thanks guys

20151226_065724_large.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Out of curiosity, how much are the dollar tree jars?

....kidding.   :)

In all seriousness, how do the Dollar Tree ones compare to those from candle suppliers? Anyone?

I use them for testing. I've heard people say that they are at Dollar Tree for a reason, meaning they aren't "as good" as those from suppliers, but I've never had an issue with the ones I test with. I use status jars for my woodwick candles and test in the same ones over and over again with no problems.

• Like 2

if you aren't having issues with repeated use, especially wood wicks, I imagine they are fine.

I dont know that because they are at dollar tree means they are less quality. I mean, they cost a buck right?

That is more than I pay from suppliers online per jar. Just something to think about. Maybe till give em a try.. at least for testers

• Like 2

They used to be Libbey jars, but they are another brand now, and they aren't the same quality visually.  I've heard that some stores still have the Libbey jars, but none of mine do, so I don't know that for sure.  I have bought loads of them over the years.  At $1 each, if you catch it when they have a $4.95 per order shipping sale, they are much cheaper than ordering from a supplier. 

• Like 5

On 9/8/2016 at 0:53 PM, wthomas57 said:

Out of curiosity, how much are the dollar tree jars?

....kidding.   :)

In all seriousness, how do the Dollar Tree ones compare to those from candle suppliers? Anyone?

that was funny.  I almost responded.  Haha

Edited by YAMS

Honestly they look the same to me.  The ones I buy look the same as the picture I posted on top.   Being $1 and no shipping cost is great but they don't not sell the lids (or at least I haven't seen them).   Sometimes if I only need a few (which is all the time because I don't sell candles) it's good to have the option of picking up just 5 or 6 of them.  Perhaps if I ordered them from a supplier I would notice a difference but these are the only status jars I have ever purchased.   I received the lid from LoneStar for the sample Lid.  I ordered a sample lid from LoneStar following Candle Guy's suggestion.   I actually ordered 3 different types and I am very satisfied.  The glass on the lid matches perfectly the Dollar Tree jar.   Again, I am a newbie so perhaps to some of you the quality is substandard.  I would like to know what everyone thinks about the Dollar Tree jars.   Thanks guys.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 3:29 PM, bfroberts said:

They used to be Libbey jars, but they are another brand now, and they aren't the same quality visually.  I've heard that some stores still have the Libbey jars, but none of mine do, so I don't know that for sure.  I have bought loads of them over the years.  At $1 each, if you catch it when they have a $4.95 per order shipping sale, they are much cheaper than ordering from a supplier. 

The ones I bought are Libbey.

44 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

The ones I bought are Libbey.

I wish I could get them.  I was at DT yesterday, and I looked at what they had on the shelves.  The ones that had labels on the bottom are the other brand...I don't recall the name, but they are made In Colombia.  They also had some that did not have labels on the bottom, so I don't know what they are.  The cube jars are still Libbey, and they had another style Libbey jar that I'm not familiar with.  I'm not afraid to use the non-Libbey jar for me or for testing, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to sell it.  I need to try to find out more about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM, bfroberts said:

Who has this sale ?

• Like 1

On September 13, 2016 at 0:36 PM, wthomas57 said:

I did last night and bought about 10 solely for testing purposes.

Wont use them other than testing, not to mention cant rely on them to carry enough in stock consistenty.

Plus no lids. 

WThomas57 I am glad you bought them at least for testing.  Now that you have them do you find them to be different quality from the ones you get from suppliers ?  Mine look so good that I am not sure I am buying the ones that some say to be poor quality from the dollar tree.  They look very good to me.  Perhaps they sell different types at Dollar Tree?  I should probably just order a sample from any of the candle suppliers I get my FOs from like CS, Peak, Lone Star to compare.  I have never ordered anything from Filmore.     Also you mentioned tumblers?  Which ones are you referring to?  And when you say thicker but not visually appearing which ones are you referring to?  Thanks

On September 14, 2016 at 5:47 PM, bfroberts said:

I wish I could get them.  I was at DT yesterday, and I looked at what they had on the shelves.  The ones that had labels on the bottom are the other brand...I don't recall the name, but they are made In Colombia.  They also had some that did not have labels on the bottom, so I don't know what they are.  The cube jars are still Libbey, and they had another style Libbey jar that I'm not familiar with.  I'm not afraid to use the non-Libbey jar for me or for testing, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to sell it.  I need to try to find out more about them.

BFRoberts so the square ones are still Libby's?   How can I tell which ones are?   I guess I need to order a sample from the online candle suppliers to compare because the DT ones look perfect to me.  Perhaps I haven't tried the real good ones and that's why these look so good to me. Lol.  Or perhaps the ones sold in my local Dollar Tree are the the original Libby's?  

If they are Libbey, there should be a sticker on the bottom. Libbey as a brand is sold at other outlets, like Walmart and Target, so it is very possible they are the exact same first-run jar at all locations. They seem awfully popular with local candle makers, so maybe DT keeps them in stock directly. The only down side is the lack of lids. I bought a case from EAP along with the tiny 2oz status (so cute!) for a special project.

i have bought the libbey status and square from DT for testing in the past too. Have not had any problems yet. My assumption (only an assumption) is they were at an outlet like DT for being considered a second or overstock. No proof of anything, just a personal perception. 

When I make something in that type of jar for sale, I buy from Candle suppliers for several reasons: 1) consistent supply,  and 2)if anything possibly goes wrong with the finished candle jar, during the investigation process I won't feel like I tried to cut corners. Again, not that there is anything different about the DT, just makes me feel better.

• Like 1

The last time I was in Dollar Tree, I spotted the square glasses and vowed to return on a day that was not so hot to pick some up.  It might be easier for me to have them delivered, I'll have to see ... carting around glass is such a hassle.  I bought some little tumblers years ago at Big Lots (was Pic'n'Save), they were made in Turkey, they are wonderful little glasses.  It's the thin glassware you have to careful with, as it's not suitable for candles, as most already know.  Anyway, Libbey is not the only quality glassware out there, imo.

https://www.dollartree.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=32572

4 hours ago, YAMS said:

BFRoberts so the square ones are still Libby's?   How can I tell which ones are?   I guess I need to order a sample from the online candle suppliers to compare because the DT ones look perfect to me.  Perhaps I haven't tried the real good ones and that's why these look so good to me. Lol.  Or perhaps the ones sold in my local Dollar Tree are the the original Libby's?  

The cube jars that were in stock at my Dollar Tree were Libbey.  They had the Libbey sticker on the bottom.  There were also several other Libbey containers in stock, but the status jars in stock were varied.  Some status jars had no sticker on the bottom and some had the Made In Colombia sticker on the bottom.  My store had no Libbey status jars in stock and hasn't for a long time.  I have heard reports that some DT do have them.  IDK.

I have ordered from DT online several times.  What you get varies.  I have ordered and received Libbey's status jar.  I've ordered and received the Made In Colombia status and I've also ordered and received status jars with no labels.  I assume this means they have several suppliers for this jar, because it all jives with what I, and others, have seen in store.  I ordered 2 cases of jars at 4th of July, and what I received were two cases of the unlabeled jars.

I had one case of status (and I do not remember which brand - just that it wasn't the Libbey) that had bubbles in the base.  Not all of them, just a few and a few had flaws around the lip.  Nothing major, and nothing I would hesitate to sale, but the quality was lesser by a degree.  I guess you get what you get.

From time to time, DT will run a $4.95 shipping sale.  It usually coincides with a holiday.  The last sale was Labor Day weekend.  I usually take advantage of the sale to order cases of things we use at our campground, magic erasers mostly...lol...because they never have as many as I need at the store.  I do order the status jars from time to time.  I use wooden lids that I purchase elsewhere, so lack of a lid doesn't matter to me. 

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 2