Most quirky FO you've found?

chevril

Save On Scents and another supplier, I forget which one right now, will look into it, have a line a wacky scents. 

Some of the ones I have tried are:

Dirt/Potting Soil/Gaia - smells just like potting soil - Fragrance Buddy/WSP
Zucchini/Zucchini Flower - this one is from Brambleberry and it smells just like Zucchini, it's incredible.
Decayed Rainforest - smells like moldy plants. From SaveOnScents. 
Rubber - Used to get this from Nature's Garden but they discontinued it. Save On Scents has one but it's not good. 
Gasoline (low octave) - smells just like gas
Baby Diaper - don't even want to talk about this one. True to name. from SaveOnScents.
Tar - smells just like fresh tar. - SaveOnScents
Garlic - true to name - SaveOnScents
Permanent Marker - true to name- SaveOnScents
Seasoned Chicken - don't know how they did it but it smells like chicken - SaveOnScents
Exhaust - true to name again - SaveOnScents

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

There is a devoted following for dirt FO in the soaping communities for hunters/outdoorsmen. I had requests for it when I was making soap. What I never understood is if these men actually think a combination of chemicals (used to make the fragrance oil) will trick animals in the wild. I mean, why not just rub yourself down with real dirt? Any thoughts?

55 minutes ago, Belinda said:

The only one I've tried (and I don't even know why I bought it) is Dirt from WSP. If anyone wants it, it's theirs! It smells just like dirt.  I don't know why anyone would want a dirt scented anything but it had good reviews LOL!

Oh Belinda!!! Don't get rid of your dirt! :) Get some Cucumber from somewhere and get Tomato Leaf from BCN and do chunks and call it Spring Garden...oh it will smell divine...I am going to make this blend myself and sell it this Spring. The Tomato Leaf from BCN smells exactly like when you touch a tomato leaf and smell your fingers...oh love that smell!

I have also read where people have made soap with this scent for hunters in the Fall to disguise their human scent and people have said it works great.:)

Chevril...I would also have to say dirt. It is definitely a quirky scent and the looks on people's faces when you tell them that you carry a scent called dirt is priceless! :) LOVE!

Edited by puma52
  • Like 2

FB has a scent named Death and Decay. Haven't bought any but am curious what is smells like.

The funkiest FO I ever came across was FM's Maple Syrup. Smelled like cologne. Didn't smell any better in my candles either. Sort of a stomach turner type of fragrance. Ick!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AL83 said:

Save On Scents and another supplier, I forget which one right now, will look into it, have a line a wacky scents. 

Some of the ones I have tried are:

Dirt/Potting Soil/Gaia - smells just like potting soil - Fragrance Buddy/WSP
Zucchini/Zucchini Flower - this one is from Brambleberry and it smells just like Zucchini, it's incredible.
Decayed Rainforest - smells like moldy plants. From SaveOnScents. 
Rubber - Used to get this from Nature's Garden but they discontinued it. Save On Scents has one but it's not good. 
Gasoline (low octave) - smells just like gas
Baby Diaper - don't even want to talk about this one. True to name. from SaveOnScents.
Tar - smells just like fresh tar. - SaveOnScents
Garlic - true to name - SaveOnScents
Permanent Marker - true to name- SaveOnScents
Seasoned Chicken - don't know how they did it but it smells like chicken - SaveOnScents
Exhaust - true to name again - SaveOnScents

Wow, I had no idea! I have to check out that zucchini and the decayed rainforest and moldy potting soil are right up my alley because I do love the scent of garden soil. I've got to get over to Save On Scents. I'm already making plans for gas & exhaust as I write this!  Thanks so much for the info & reviews! (I'll stay away from the diaper... yech!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

The only one I've tried (and I don't even know why I bought it) is Dirt from WSP. If anyone wants it, it's theirs! It smells just like dirt.  I don't know why anyone would want a dirt scented anything but it had good reviews LOL!

I'm interested if nobody else want's it. How much do you want for it? 

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Horticulturalists LOVE this candle. I have many friends that love gardening and they always request this candle from me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

There is a devoted following for dirt FO in the soaping communities for hunters/outdoorsmen. I had requests for it when I was making soap. What I never understood is if these men actually think a combination of chemicals (used to make the fragrance oil) will trick animals in the wild. I mean, why not just rub yourself down with real dirt? Any thoughts?

Oh, I had no idea that hunters use it! I'm interested because I like the scent of garden soil. I hate hunting (hope I don't offend anyone saying that), so I'll be sure to market in a different way. I appreciate the info! Thanks!

40 minutes ago, puma52 said:

Oh Belinda!!! Don't get rid of your dirt! :) Get some Cucumber from somewhere and get Tomato Leaf from BCN and do chunks and call it Spring Garden...oh it will smell divine...I am going to make this blend myself and sell it this Spring. The Tomato Leaf from BCN smells exactly like when you touch a tomato leaf and smell your fingers...oh love that smell!

I have also read where people have made soap with this scent for hunters in the Fall to disguise their human scent and people have said it works great.:)

Chevril...I would also have to say dirt. It is definitely a quirky scent and the looks on people's faces when you tell them that you carry a scent called dirt is priceless! :) LOVE!

A great idea for garden! I already have a nice tomato leaf, tho it's called basil from CS (but smells like tomato leaf). The first scent that came to mind when I started out doing candles was tomato leaf because it is one of the most heavenly smells in the veggie garden! I always thought that if a man wore tomato leaf cologne he would be irresistible! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Candybee said:

FB has a scent named Death and Decay. Haven't bought any but am curious what is smells like.

The funkiest FO I ever came across was FM's Maple Syrup. Smelled like cologne. Didn't smell any better in my candles either. Sort of a stomach turner type of fragrance. Ick!

Death & decay is TOOOOO quirky! Oh my Lord!  I was considering maple syrup this morning. Guess I better not get it from FB! I love the way we can learn from each other's experience on this forum (and save time & money)!

35 minutes ago, AL83 said:

Candybee... I believe the Death & Decay by FB is a Lush dupe. A lot of people say it smells like soap. It's heavy on white floral. No death and no decay at all. Very misleading name. 

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Lush/Death-and-Decay-26630.html

How strange! Maybe it's supposed to smell like calla lilies?

9 hours ago, Belinda said:

I will take it off your hands.....I know I will not like it but have a few blend ideas I would like to try with it 

if you still have it pm me price 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chevril said:

Death & decay is TOOOOO quirky! Oh my Lord!  I was considering maple syrup this morning. Guess I better not get it from FB! I love the way we can learn from each other's experience on this forum (and save time & money)!

The maple syrup I was talking about was from Fillmore Container, not FB. FB could very well have a good one but never tried that one so don't know.

Death & Decay is actually a Lush inspired scent so I am sure there are peeps out there that love it. I just can't get past the name! If it was a scent I was going to use I would probably rename it. But that depends on how popular it is which I have no idea about. Will have to go a reread the description of it again. LOL

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

On February 21, 2016 at 0:00 PM, AL83 said:

Horticulturalists LOVE this candle. I have many friends that love gardening and they always request this candle from me. 

On February 21, 2016 at 0:00 PM, AL83 said:

I may have to ask around before I pour any of it to see if there's any interest around here. I think it would gag me to pour it! LOL! Of course, I thought leather was gross too and couldn't imagine anyone wanting a candle or anything that smells like leather but it's my biggest seller, that and leather blends.

On February 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM, puma52 said:

Puma you always come up with the neatest blend ideas! If I don't blend it then I'll send it to you and you can use it. 

4 hours ago, mindy5140 said:

Does the baby diaper smell like Luvs diapers or a stinky diaper?

A stinky diaper. Truly disgusting. I didn't think it would be that true to name. It has 5 stars though. Would be perfect as a gag gift. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, I LOVE this topic!

I am a novelty scent junkie so SaveonScents is my go to, and I've tried them all from Band Aid to Gym Socks!

I would have to say their "Pot Roast" is the querkiest based on accuracy alone. It smells more like Pot Roast than Pot Roast itself! That sauteed onion smell is captured to perfection!

OMG I never would have imagined there are so many weird scents out there and I've been doing this for 17+ years!  Now my curiosity has peeked and I need to

to look at SavonScents and see what they have, I've never bought from them.  I'm thinking Pot Roast may just be a hit, then again it would make me hungry every time I burned it.