Update on CS whiskey and leather

Trappeur

I know it has been a while since last August when Puma brought up a post on those new fragrance of Candlescience, whiskey and the leather and others were getting the scents in too.  I got the fragrances in myself and was wondering how many have tried it and what combinations they came up with as I want to get going on testing these scents....So could some of you put up what you have done and made and give your input of what you did or didn't like about these scents?

Trappeur

• Like 1

I got a sample of the whiskey and put it in a melt just to see if I would like it using 4786.  It was not really all that strong but none the less I did not really care for it so I am going to pass on it.  I have not tried the leather.  

Hi Trappeur,

When I got the whiskey in last year, I used most of the bottle for the chunk melts. I did the chunks in green apple (I think the macapple would be awesome too!) and overpoured with the whiskey...they sold fast and people just loved them. I also had orders for just the plain whiskey and one person told me (and I totally agree), that when she burned it, it smelled like the big ole whiskey barrels that she had been around as a kid...she just loved it. I just ordered from CS yesterday and ordered another lb of the whiskey and I am going to do a blend in both the green apple and mac apple chunks overpoured with the whiskey for Spring. I wonder how the whiskey and caribbean teakwood would smell...could I throw some coconut in w/that? I am also doing a blend of leather and whiskey, whiskey, leather and tobacco. Whiskey has been like Patchouli to me...the more I work with it, the more I like it. :)  I am going to have a sit down sniffing party with whiskey and some scents that I think may play nice with it and I then I am going to do some blending! On the CS site, people had blended a vanilla, lemon and whiskey for a whiskey sour, someone else had blended masculine scents with it and another person blended it with fruits, another blended with a sweet dessert scent. It seems like it is very versatile , we just need to get it figured out for ourselves. What about blending it with the apples & maple bourbon that they sell? I have a bottle of that too...hmmmm :) The whiskey sour sounds very interesting. :)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Lol

i got mine last week and it went right in the "probably won't use" bin- yuck!!

Dig it back out Moonshine, PCBrook and TallTayl! :) I feel a best-seller is at your fingertips! :) Just need to find the right blend.

Edited by puma52

Oh....Black Canyon...Black Tea! Definitely leather! Oh that sounds nice!....we do need to figure out some blends here on this. I think what really makes it difficult for me is the super strong whiskey smell...I really need to wrap my brains around using the fruits..blood orange and lemon sounds nice! You know what will happen Moonshine...you will create a hit and then you'll be going back to CS for more. LOL :)

Edited by puma52

I'm going to try the Whiskey, Thanks for the enabling!

Jesusismygrace, what did you try the Whiskey in?

I have Kentucky Bourbon from Flaming but haven't tried it yet...maybe today :) . It sounds different from the CS Whiskey, though.

On 2/8/2016 at 5:16 PM, moonshine said:

Lol

i got mine last week and it went right in the "probably won't use" bin- yuck!!

I poured it and tested it. All I could smell in my wax blend (all paraffin) was old school black magic marker. I just could not do it. I am just adding a Leather scent to my line. I added a sweet note to it to make it tolerable. 

I'm going to try the Whiskey, Thanks for the enabling!

Jesusismygrace, what did you try the Whiskey in?

I have Kentucky Bourbon from Flaming but haven't tried it yet...maybe today :) . It sounds different from the CS Whiskey, though

Hi Marta,

I tried it alone and with chocolate. I was hoping for a stronger scent.

MOTHER'S MARVELOUS WHISKEY SOURS  
1 (6 oz.) can pink lemonade concentrate
6 oz. water (use lemonade can to measure)
6 oz. orange juice (not concentrate)
1/4 or 1/3 c. light Karo syrup (to taste)
6 oz. blended whiskey
7-Up (opt.)
Maraschino cherry juice (opt.)
FROZEN WHISKEY SOUR  
6 oz. blended whiskey
1 (6 oz.) can frozen lemonade
6 oz. orange juice
WHISKEY SOUR FREEZE  
1 (12 oz.) can frozen orange juice
1 (6 oz.) can frozen lemonade
1 (12 oz.) can water
1 (12 oz.) can blended whiskey or bourbon
Gingerale or seven-up
WHISKEY SOUR  
1-1/2 oz  lemon juice
4 oz Simple Syrup
1-1/2 oz whiskey
Maraschino Cherry for garnish

Tropical Whiskey Punch recipe

rating
6 votes

Here are some recipes. The candle scents to sub for the items in the recipes should be extremely easy to do. I am excited! :)

I have both the CS whisky & leather. Haven't tried the leather yet, but poured the whisky (C3, jelly jars). I know it was a bit early to light after 24 hours, but I'm impatient so I did. Gotta say, I don't like it. Slightly like tobacco, slightly like leather, but dull somehow. Maybe I want it to smell a little woody like a whisky barrel. I'm not a drinker, but I've made fruitcakes soaked in whisky and I remember it having a more appealing scent.  However my grown son likes it. I gave him the candles and I'm THINKING about using it. He said the scent wasn't very strong when lit, but there was little cure time. I'm thinking maybe it smells different to men (if that's possible).

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Flaming's Kentucky Bourbon in wax...was a dud. Throw was good (as all of Flaming's are for me) but the scent was dull. A lot like those coconut fos that smell a little stale. Really disappointing since it is so different and great oob. I ordered the Whiskey from CS (not tried yet) and now wish I had also ordered the Apple & Maple Bourbon, too!

• 9 months later...

This is an old thread but apparently I was out of commission when it was posted.  Just wondering if anyone actually used the CS Whiskey.  I have Flaming's Bourbon which I use in melts and it sells but it is on the light side.  Many customers don't want heavy scents so it works for them.  I want a bit stronger one to use as a blend so if the CS is stronger OOB I'd like to try it. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2016 at 7:04 PM, moonshine said:

I have been thinking for chunk melts to use it up.....what to mix that stench with I am lost! Lol

maybe cherry and almond 

lemon-honey and black tea

pomegranate- blood orange and lemon

leather and black canyon 

Ooohhhh ... I love the lemon honey + black tea - what FO's you use for that ? Also - pomegranate - blood orange combo YUM ! I love love CS Blood Orange 

whats WSP tea like - have you tried it, I think its called Iced tea twist ???? What about a good cucumber or cuc mint ?? Im going to try the CM from WSP .

The cherry almond too YUM ! Man of man is it cold - its suppose to be 8 degrees tonight + - 3 by Sunday/Monday Brrrrrrr :( 

I know I'm freezing!! At work all day I had the heat on 80 and a space heater but can't get warm 

I use daystars black tea - never tried wsp

I am now hooked on pops pipe from PFO rather than the cherry almond- lol

cucumber mint sounds good- I haven't tried one of those 

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2016 at 9:34 AM, Trappeur said:

I know it has been a while since last August when Puma brought up a post on those new fragrance of Candlescience, whiskey and the leather and others were getting the scents in too.  I got the fragrances in myself and was wondering how many have tried it and what combinations they came up with as I want to get going on testing these scents....So could some of you put up what you have done and made and give your input of what you did or didn't like about these scents?

Trappeur

I came across this post today as I was getting ready to make a test candle of the CS Whiskey blended with CS Very Vanilla.  I use 6006 wax in an 11 oz rocks tumbler, just fyi.  I just poured the candle and I must say it smells FABULOUS!!  These's just something about that Very Vanilla that adds a sweet, creamy touch that isn't over the top sweet.  I blend it with CS Lavender and is one of my best sellers.  I'll light this one up in 2 weeks and update if anyone's interested

• Like 1

I apologize for sending us off-topic for a moment but you all reminded me about the distinction between Scottish whisky and Irish whiskey:

http://www.whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/whisky_or_whiskey.html

Whisky or whiskey? ... The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies.

I only know this because I love all things Irish (I have ancestry there) and I drink Jameson.  :)

• Like 2

I have been considering purchasing whiskey scented FO also, so I’m certainly interested in an update! I’m looking for a really great vanilla FO to use as the lone scent in a parasoy container- would this be a vanilla you would recommend? I have French Vanilla from (I think, I’m can’t quite remember ) from VCC  and I don’t care for it much after the sniffy test (all though I haven’t yet blended it with wax- I plan to pour a sample and reevaluate)