Not happy !!!!!

flair

Well now... You guys do know what you are doing!!!!!!  I just went back and lit the candle from Saturday and it is really filling the room with scent.... So I have learned a valuable lesson, soy takes some cure time.. I have a few others that I am going to wait at least until Saturday to lite, that will be 7 day. The cold throw is awesome now on those we made.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thanks so much for the cure time on the soy... going forward I am looking at 10 days I think. What about a paraffin candle cure time??????

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME.....

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

That's why we're all here... to ask questions about things that we need help with and to answer questions we have some experience with. Pretty soon you'll be jumping on a thread and suggesting a 10 day cure time to someone who asks why their soy candle isn't giving a good scent throw! It's the crafters version of "the circle of life".

Also consider you may develop "candle-nose" (adapt to the fragrance in the air and then not be able to smell it) - especially if you are in mad-candlemaking-mode and have fragrances in the air a lot.  And that there are certain scents you may just have difficulty judging.

I'm glad you are making progress - the cure really really does matter (so when you get into sharing or selling mode, you need to build that into your timeline).

• Like 1

I only make paraffin (I don't use soy at all not even in a blend) and I cure for at least 4 days - most times 7-10. But I think 4 should be sufficient. You could always make 3 candles and cure 1 for 4 days, one for 7 and one for 10 and see how they turn out for you. 

• Like 1

I've been making soy candles for 5 years.  When I first started, the candle making instructions from the first supplier I ordered from said to let the candles cure for at least 12 hours.  When I give someone a newly made candle, I tell her not to burn it until tomorrow.  :)  Like yesterday, when I gave my friend a pumpkin candle and it was still slightly warm.  When she took the lid off, the whole car smelled good.  She was going to go home and burn it, but I told her to wait a day.  She said she would just take the lid off and sniff it until then. :)

I've never noticed an issue with burning candles after 24 hours.  But I guess all this time, I should have been letting them cure longer? 

I've been making soy candles for 5 years.  When I first started, the candle making instructions from the first supplier I ordered from said to let the candles cure for at least 12 hours.  When I give someone a newly made candle, I tell her not to burn it until tomorrow.   :)  Like yesterday, when I gave my friend a pumpkin candle and it was still slightly warm.  When she took the lid off, the whole car smelled good.  She was going to go home and burn it, but I told her to wait a day.  She said she would just take the lid off and sniff it until then. :)

I've never noticed an issue with burning candles after 24 hours.  But I guess all this time, I should have been letting them cure longer? I 

I find that soy candles do best if left to sit for a week or 2 with the lids on them.  i would never move them when they are warm, as the candle is not completely set.  This information should be soy candles 101 for a seasoned candle maker.

• Like 1

I don't get a chance to see this friend very often, she is so busy. We were meeting just a little while after I made the candles, so I went ahead and gave one to her.  I don't normally give people warm candles.  I do know that much....it was set up, just a tad still warm.  :)

• Like 1

I don't get a chance to see this friend very often, she is so busy. We were meeting just a little while after I made the candles, so I went ahead and gave one to her.  I don't normally give people warm candles.  I do know that much....it was set up, just a tad still warm.   :)

I'd have done the same thing. Most people have such busy schedules & the price of gas, you have to do what what works, as long as you're not selling it.  I'm sure you did know that.

• Like 1

Remember that all waxes are not created equal. My Clarus 3022 (70% soy/30% paraffin) is good to go on the next day but only gets better with time. I like the fact that the ct/ht is there without the extended cure time but if a week goes by before a sale; the candle is just that much better. Light fragrance oils rarely get better with extended cure time, unfortunately. So I pour 1 oz testers and for that very reason. HTH

Steve

• Like 2

These chandler's are the BEST Flair! I hope you are doing well with your chandling now..the only thing I haven't seen mentioned..that is a personal prefferance of mine is to store your "set" (already cooled) candle's upside down...this way the fragrance oil will stay evenly disributed within the whole candle while curing. :) 

Happy Chandling! 

Kimmer

• Like 1

These chandler's are the BEST Flair! I hope you are doing well with your chandling now..the only thing I haven't seen mentioned..that is a personal prefferance of mine is to store your "set" (already cooled) candle's upside down...this way the fragrance oil will stay evenly disributed within the whole candle while curing. :)

Happy Chandling! 

Kimmer

WOW.... Thanks for the great suggestion.. I will do that as soon as I get home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember that all waxes are not created equal. My Clarus 3022 (70% soy/30% paraffin) is good to go on the next day but only gets better with time. I like the fact that the ct/ht is there without the extended cure time but if a week goes by before a sale; the candle is just that much better. Light fragrance oils rarely get better with extended cure time, unfortunately. So I pour 1 oz testers and for that very reason. HTH

Steve

What is a 1oz tester??? Does that mean you use 1oz of the FO and make a 12 oz candle to check the throw??????

No. Most suppliers will offer you a bakers dozen of one ounce bottles for testing purposes. Generally, you pay $2.00 up for a tester plus shipping charges, which makes it expensive (everybody rides the 99 cent sales train) but cheaper in the long run. DO NOT DEPEND ON REVIEWS OR RECOMMENDATIONS! Opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one and they are all biased by personal preferences. If I tell you this is a good fo and you're customers are going to make it "fly off the shelves" that's evidence for trying a sample. These days, I only buy skin safe fragrances and they have to perform reasonably well in both wax and bath and body products. I make two candles (8 oz) from a one ounce tester. One for me to test and one for another tester. Two thumbs up and I get a pound. I have about 40 or so little bottles patiently waiting their turn, depending on need. HTH

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes. My turkey fryer keeps the wax at 200 degrees and I measure out on my scale the amount to be poured and then keep the pour pot (pyrex coffee pot) on an electric double burner with the thermometer probe for monitoring. You'll find that some fragrances are practically the same, no matter where you buy them. Black Cherry is a great example, as well as most almonds or other blending oils. Customers do not, as a rule, sit around and analyze what note opened first and how did the fragrance finish; they just want to know that the fragrance will smell reasonably good all over the house or apartment. I know people who sell a straight, plain jelly jar with no label at trade or flea markets for about $5.00 a jar and sell the hound out of them. I see candles in specialty shops and boutiques that need dusting. Marketing is fine but the average Sheila just wants thing to burn right and smell good. HTH

Steve

Steve,

Are the JJ's you see for 5.00 from Walmart with the design in the glass or smooth like candle science? Just curious about what their cost is. Also, are the lids the two piece or one piece TY

Edited by Oceangazer1

The cheapest glass is going to be bulk with the one piece lids. I haven't seen any of the regular Mason or Ball jars in a long time. The exception to that rule are the square Masons with one-piece lids. I know that a minimum for free shipping seems like a lot of jars but its the best way to go for saving a lot of money on jars IMHO. HTH

Steve

• Like 1