Soy wax appearance

I think it may depend on the type/brand of soy wax.  The tops of my candles don't look so bad after a burn, but if they sit unburned for a while, they might get a little more drier or pitted-looking, which is probably just a good way to be able to tell that it's really a soy candle.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is, after FO throw, the second “worst” characteristic of soy wax, for me.  I’m experimenting with a little bit of beeswax and/or coconut wax to improve the appearance. But I might just switch over to coconut wax. 

Edited by chapguy

Chapguy, does it really make a difference what the tops look like after you have burned it?

Customers don't care and have never said anything and it certainly doesn't bother me.   It is what it is and is a natural characteristic trait that you should just accept.  

Trappeur

• Like 4

If it bothers you that bad then soy is not for you....to answer your question, no there is not a soy wax that doesn't have a flaky or pitted look after burning aside from maybe the new quantum waxes which I do not and will not use -you would have to test those or ask people that have used them to see 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So are you saying these people are looking at candles that you have already burned and hate the look and don't buy for that reason?   Very strange.  Never heard of anything like that.  What do they actually say?  Do you not show them a candle that is for sale that is not burned?  In all my 12 plus years when I had my store, never not once did anyone ever say anything like that.  As soon as they hit my store and smelled the candles that I had burning, that was all that mattered and they were sold.

Good luck.  Let us know what wax you finally end up with that has a smooth top like an unburned candle after burned because I don't know of any soy wax that does that.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try not to write a book here. The reason for my question is that a friend of a friend started making and selling candles and says they are 100% soy. I'm thinking they have some paraffin in them. When I made my first "100% soy" candles, I didn't label them as such because KY said there was a tiny bit of cottonseed oil in their formula.  But this wax was all I used, the candles had a flaky appearance (which I have always loved) and when I put them in a craft co-op I belonged to, the people who worked in the shop told me that people thought something was wrong with them. This was before soy was popular and so I decided to go with a soy-paraffin blend. And they sold well. Seeing these supposed 100% soy candles from my friend's friend, made me doubt her truthfulness, but I thought maybe things had changed since I first made them. I know in some circles you can claim your candle is soy if there is a certain percentage of soy in it.  But to label them as 100% soy is misleading at best. I'm just making candles for family and friends now. Thank you for your post, Trappeur! :)

• Like 2

Well, I'm one who won't buy candles a second time that look bad after they're burned. That goes for a pitted appearance, or black soot on the rims.  In fact, I bought 5 candles from a local candle maker, burned one and found it left a pitted appearance - and the remaining four are left untouched. (should give them away so they won't be wasted).  

However I don't think I am a typical candle buyer because I don't buy candles for the scent unless it's Thanksgiving/Christmas and that was never a habit until the crackling wicks came out.  My idea of a perfect candle is unscented, uncolored, big crackle, glass container - and since I've never seen one anywhere for sale I have to learn to make my own!    

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2018 at 6:32 AM, lenarenee said:

Well, I'm one who won't buy candles a second time that look bad after they're burned. That goes for a pitted appearance, or black soot on the rims.  In fact, I bought 5 candles from a local candle maker, burned one and found it left a pitted appearance - and the remaining four are left untouched. (should give them away so they won't be wasted).  

However I don't think I am a typical candle buyer because I don't buy candles for the scent unless it's Thanksgiving/Christmas and that was never a habit until the crackling wicks came out.  My idea of a perfect candle is unscented, uncolored, big crackle, glass container - and since I've never seen one anywhere for sale I have to learn to make my own!    

hi lenarenee ... did you find a suitable wax?  Only smooth setter time after time I can think of is Advanced ... but my last batch was a dud . It needed to be wicked up and wouldn't burn well, it was bought last year. I would be interested to hear your results.

I did end up mixing 30% Advanced with a cocosoy I had ... that was a good setter too

On 11/30/2017 at 7:38 PM, chapguy said:

Personally it just bothers me. I’d rather exhaust a number of different wax blend testing before I commit to something just so I can stop wondering if there’s something better on the other side of the fence. 

LOL, I know what you mean. Seems like I'm always thinking, what if I do this or that or the other? Will it be better? So off I go testing. I'm finally starting to realize that once I find something I like and does perform well, then I need to just call it a day and go with it. Otherwise I'm like that little hamster running on it's fast wheel. LOL. 

My 2 cents regarding soy wax, I don't have a problem with the rough after burn tops, and I even expect it from a candle that claims to be all soy or at least a large % of soy. You certainly can tell a lot about a "soy" candle that way. Another way of looking at it, it's a "characteristic" of soy as opposed to a "flaw" because it doesn't have any negative effects on the rest of the candle, it's burn nor it's scent throw. :)

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 5:57 PM, candleaddict said:

I'll try not to write a book here. The reason for my question is that a friend of a friend started making and selling candles and says they are 100% soy. I'm thinking they have some paraffin in them. When I made my first "100% soy" candles, I didn't label them as such because KY said there was a tiny bit of cottonseed oil in their formula.  But this wax was all I used, the candles had a flaky appearance (which I have always loved) and when I put them in a craft co-op I belonged to, the people who worked in the shop told me that people thought something was wrong with them. This was before soy was popular and so I decided to go with a soy-paraffin blend. And they sold well. Seeing these supposed 100% soy candles from my friend's friend, made me doubt her truthfulness, but I thought maybe things had changed since I first made them. I know in some circles you can claim your candle is soy if there is a certain percentage of soy in it.  But to label them as 100% soy is misleading at best. I'm just making candles for family and friends now. Thank you for your post, Trappeur! :)

the description of your wax tells me it was a vegetable blend and not straight soy. There are 100% soy waxes on the market so if that is what you are looking for you might want to try a new wax that is actually all soy and not a 'vegetable' blended soy.