Please critique my plan, plus a few newb questions

20ish years ago, my wife and I were making candles as a hobby and it was something we really enjoyed doing together. Our local supplier went out of business, and before the days of the internet as we know it, finding a new supplier was more effort than we were willing to make, so we moved on. I found this forum a few days ago and have read a whole bunch before deciding to join today.  Y'all have a great community here.

I've recently been brainstorming business ideas because I really hate working for someone else. Fortunately my wife is well employed and supports many of my crazy endeavors, some successful and some, well, not so much. Finally, candle making popped into my head, I remembered how much we enjoyed it, and thought this may be what I've been looking for. So I headed down the rabbit hole.

I realize this is going to be a long process before I can even consider selling my wares.  I'm figuring a minimum one-year and more likely a 2+ year time line before I can get to that point. But it's time to take the first step and begin R&D.

To begin, we'll be making container candles.  We will start with one type of wax and one type of jar and work until we are successful with that.  I've settled on starting with 4627 and will not let myself become distracted by all the other shiny things.

First thing I'm doing is putting together a spreadsheet with a few suppliers so I can compare costs, shipping, etc. to see who I want to use for supplies. Since CS is (relatively) close with their Reno warehouse, I'm hoping I can get decent shipping rates from them, or take a weekend getaway and pick up from them.  I'm still going to compare with others but I'd really like to stick with one supplier in the beginning.

Now a couple questions:

1. How granular do I need a scale to be? I have a shipping scale that will weigh up to 400 lbs. in one ounce increments.  I also have a small digital scale that will weigh down to 1/10000 of an ounce, but it's max capacity is only 50 grams (a bit less than two ounces).  Should I be looking at a new scale that's somewhere between these two?

2. Is there any particularly recommended thermometer?

3. I want to start with just a few relatively easy to work with FO's. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure more questions will be coming soon.

• Like 1

So far sounds like a prettygood plan. Light FOs are easier to wick. Bakery fo tend to be heavy. Scales should be fine to start out. 1 lb of wax can make a few testers. Smaller jars can be testes quicler. Good luck! 

• Like 1

I can't speak to 4627 wax, (I use 464 soy) but I can say candle science is great! I am in Northern CA and the shipping from Reno is the lowest I can get.  I sometimes do pick up and the process couldn't be easier and they are SO nice!  I have tried many of their FO's (as have lot of others on here) and haven't found a bad thrower yet. 

• Like 1

Welcome! Good start I would say.

scales: a scale is at its most accurate in the middle of the weighing range. For candles, if working larger amounts .01 increments are fine. If working small amounts gram measurements work bear. I have been using MyWeigh KD 7000 scales for the last 9 years or so for soap and candles. They serve me well and are inexpensive. The only downside is when filling large melters I need to do it in stages, but there is where a shipping scale comes in.

easy to throw scents IME, include cologne types of almost any kind, lemon, apple, florals like lilac. I do not use your wax, but have much success in my various waxes using those types. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Like you I was dead set on 4627. I spent an entire year working and testing that wax but eventually went with 444 soy. I fou d no matter what wick and FO % I used, that wax would just soot like you wouldnt believe. Others may have had better luck, but others still have said the same thing. Its also messy as all hell. Has the consistency of warm vaseline jelly. Do yourself a favor, if you really want to work with this wax, go to Lowes and buy a few of their 5 gallon blue buckets. It will hold a 25lb bag of the 4627. When you get the bag of wax cut it down the sides and with a long bread knife start cutting chunks of it out and into the blue bucket. Once you have all into the blue bucket, use an ice cream scooper to portion out what you need as you weigh it up.

On the plus side, 4627 throws fragrance like no other wax ive ever tested. Hot and cold throw is 2nd to none. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Welcome Nick and good luck in your journey.

My contribution to this subject is you picked an awesome company (Candle Science) to start off with.  I've been using them for 10 plus years.  Their oils are quality and I highly recommend them.  Customer service is pretty good too.  Don't know what jars your using, but starting with 1 jar, 1 wax is the best thing  you could do starting off with.  Perfection doesn't come over night and why make yourself crazy with different jars and all sorts of different waxes to try out and blend together when you don't even know how to make a candle???I never could understand to this day why people do that....just makes no sense to me what so ever except drive one's self nuts......

I only use 464 and c3....(soy)....have never done a parrafin.  I did read up on 4627 which you said you are starting with....Wow!  Candle Science reviews are awesome on this wax I see, but extrememly messy....oh well...everything has it's challenges.  Reading up on this wax makes me want to try a blend with 464....who knows...maybe some day I will.  Good luck and hope you will join the gang here....Everyone is super!  So much knowledge and so fun being here.  Well, with your great choices you have made and joining here at this forum, I think you have it all....Hope you stay here and get involved!

Keep us informed....

;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Like you I was dead set on 4627. I spent an entire year working and testing that wax but eventually went with 444 soy. I fou d no matter what wick and FO % I used, that wax would just soot like you wouldnt believe. Others may have had better luck, but others still have said the same thing. Its also messy as all hell. Has the consistency of warm vaseline jelly. Do yourself a favor, if you really want to work with this wax, go to Lowes and buy a few of their 5 gallon blue buckets. It will hold a 25lb bag of the 4627. When you get the bag of wax cut it down the sides and with a long bread knife start cutting chunks of it out and into the blue bucket. Once you have all into the blue bucket, use an ice cream scooper to portion out what you need as you weigh it up.

On the plus side, 4627 throws fragrance like no other wax ive ever tested. Hot and cold throw is 2nd to none. 

Good luck

Just about every wax I read up on had some who were super successful and some who crashed and burned. Scent throw is the most important thing for us, at least at this time, so I figured we would try to tame this particular beast.  I don't mind messy, maybe in time I will. Thanks for the advice about the buckets, I already have many of the orange ones from the other place. :D

Thanks to everyone for your input so far! I truly appreciate it.  Here is my initial shopping list.  I know there are some things here that I don't absolutely need, but I'm all about being efficient so I added some things that I think will help. I have not included pour pots because we already have two 4 lb. and a 1 lb. from before. Please let me know if I'm missing anything critical.

1. New fire extinguisher
  2. The scale recommended by TallTayl.
  3. Presto pot and ladle
  4. Electric griddle
  5. 25 lbs IGI4627. Interestingly, if I get this from Bulk Apothecary and everything else from CS, I save $7 on shipping plus a $10 first time order coupon from BA.
  6. 8 oz. Macintosh Apple FO
  7. 1 oz. red liquid dye
  8. Thermometer
  9. EZ wick setter, single wick
  10. 12 piece bag of wick bars
  11. 1 roll of wick stickers, large. CS website says the small are for tealights.
  12. LX wick sample kit. I also wanted an HTP sample kit, but that's the only wick series that CS doesn't carry a sample kit for, so I'll just start with these.
  13. A case of twelve 8 oz. apothecary jars.
  14. A case of twelve flat lids
  15. A free 1 oz. sample of Fraser Fir

All pending my wife's approval.  She is on an airplane heading home from visiting her sister and nieces in NJ and should be landing in about 20 minutes.

Thanks for reading!:read:

• Like 3

Good luck with your R&D phase! Sounds like you have a good plan to start out with and have thoughfully researched what you need to start out with. I would just add a pour pot in the mix. I use the griddle to keep my pour pots warm while I am mixing in fragrance, color, etc. Then pour the wax from the pour pot into my wicked jars.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Good luck with your R&D phase! Sounds like you have a good plan to start out with and have thoughfully researched what you need to start out with. I would just add a pour pot in the mix. I use the griddle to keep my pour pots warm while I am mixing in fragrance, color, etc. Then pour the wax from the pour pot into my wicked jars.

Thanks Candybee. We already have two 4 lb. and a 1 lb. pour pot from when we made candles way back when.

• Like 1

I don't make candles (just tarts/melts) but wanted to say welcome!

I do use paraffin though, just not 4627 but have read good things about this wax. 

You can't beat the FO's from CS and Peak also has some good ones (not trying to enable you right off the bat :))

I like your plan and if/when I ever decide to make candles that's the way I want to do it too!

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

Welcome Nick

your plan sounds good, simplified and financially smart - if only I had started that way, lol

CS is probably one of the most reliable, stable and quality suppliers out there so you chose good on that - I still use many of their oils and never have issues with consistentcey like I have with others

The only thing I can think to add down the line when your successful and ready to sell is to use the red permatex gasket sealer for your wicking, wick stickers for starting out and testing are perfect as you can easily get them out and recycle your jars for more testing 

I don't use paraffin but have heard great things about your choice - keep us posted on how your coming along and have fun! 

You might want to add some disposable pippettes also for heavy handed pouring of fragrance and going over the mark 

• Like 1

Nick, if you are in the testing phase as you say, I would get a bit more than just that 8 oz of Mac Apple FO. 8 ounces wont get you far amd if you are getting 25lbs of wax I would figure what FO % load you will be testing for and get enough to make 25lbs worth of candles. Maybe get two or three more FO's, it wont change your shipping much if any

• Like 1

Welcome to the board.  Having a plan before you begin is about 60% ahead of where most start. Choosing 1 wax and 1 jar to start is smart business for a beginner.  I learned the hard way and now when people ask I suggest exactly what you are doing.  The other members made great suggestions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

You might want to add some disposable pippettes also for heavy handed pouring of fragrance and going over the mark 

That's something I actually already have. I vape and mix my own liquid so I have lots of tools to measure and transfer small amounts of liquid.

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Nick, if you are in the testing phase as you say, I would get a bit more than just that 8 oz of Mac Apple FO. 8 ounces wont get you far amd if you are getting 25lbs of wax I would figure what FO % load you will be testing for and get enough to make 25lbs worth of candles. Maybe get two or three more FO's, it wont change your shipping much if any

Excellent suggestion, thanks! I will add more FO's before I order. 6% is 24oz., 8% is 32 oz. and 10% is 40 oz. I will order somewhere in that range.