Store Bought Candles

Hey guys,

I bought a soy candle from Target today, just to see how it burned in comparison to the candles I have been making.  It kind of rocks.  I mean, I thought mine burned just fine and I have been loving my scents, but I don't know...

The Target candle is a little 4.4 ounce glass jar, soy wax, coconut scent.  The smell isn't insanely strong, but it scented my small kitchen, and it was pretty nice.  It mushroomed like one would expect.  But the WAX.  Is it possible to have soy wax be a perfectly creamy, soft-looking wax, free of imperfections?  Because this little $6 candle has the smoothest, softest looking soy wax I have ever seen.  If there is such a wax... I would like to start using it rather than the 444 I am using now.

Pics: left candle is store bought, right candle is one of mine. :mellow:

IMG_0519.jpgIMG_0521.jpg

Edited by ehatch1
  • Like 2

I'm not one who cares much how the wax looks after it has been burned and I don't think customers care much either, they just want it to smell good and burn right .  I'd be more concerned about the hang up on the sides and it appears in the pic that yours has less hang up.  Keep us posted on the full burn please. I often wonder about those store bought candles that say "soy", unless it says 100% soy wax, that doesn't mean they haven't got other stuff in there too.  

• Like 3

Everytime I but a candle Im always amazed at how nicely scented it is, I mean within a few minutes. The Easy candles are amazing that Ive bought/

I have bought a few of the Target candles your talking about and as far as it being soy, I hardly doubt that its all soy as franu61 mentioned. Its most

likely a blend. I read somewhere that as long as 51% is soy it can be called a soy candle. Not sure how true that is though. 

• Like 2

I never buy store candles ever.  I like to sniff them but that's it.  I know what I'm looking to achieve in my candles; one that burns correctly and safely.

Your candle is lovely Hatch and is burning very nicely so far.  I wouldn't  waste my time and get aggravated because the top is a little rough after blown out.  Customers don't care.  There is nothing wrong with your candle what so ever.  Your wax is nice and smooth too.

Trappeur

• Like 4

Im looking at my post and theres a few typos but I can't to back any longer and correct it. It was suppose to read the Etsy candles Not easy candles lol ! 

Trappers right, your candles look amazing and I love how rustic and charming your labels always look ! I think its human nature to "compare" I do it all

the time :( 

• Like 1

A couple times a year I'll pick one up in a store if the scent intrigues me, usually I want to see if I can duplicate  it if I like the store sniff!  And I can almost never pass up a bar of homemade soap that looks or smells good.  I try them all.

Thanks for the input, everybody.  I feel much better!  I still wish mine could be that soft and creamy and perfect, but I think you are right - I bet it is a soy blend.  However, now that I've gotten a whiff of the coconut candle, I want to find a good coconut... yum!

• Like 1

Looking at the store bought candle pic offhand it looks like a parasoy blend to me-- part soy and part paraffin. Adding a little paraffin to soy makes a kick azz looking creamy candle with little to no frosting- but then its no longer 100% soy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Looking at the store bought candle pic offhand it looks like a parasoy blend to me-- part soy and part paraffin. Adding a little paraffin to soy makes a kick azz looking creamy candle with little to no frosting- but then its no longer 100% soy.

This makes me so tempted to do a soy blend, but I like the 100% soy concept I've been working with (although I know 444 has additives, and that makes me want to try 415, but I'm going to stick with the my 444 anyway).

• Like 1

I think the additives in the 444 are soy additives (2%) -- going by my memory.  Doesn't a soy candle (all soy) burn for a longer period of time than a parasoy candle of the same size?

It seems the thing that stands out to some people is the length of the burn (as well as other attributes, of course) -- but the amount of time a candle burns seems to impress people when they experience a long-burning candle.

The other thing about some store-bought candles has to do with the quality of the paraffin that is being used.  For instance, if it's from another country, it may not be as well refined and emit more chemicals into the air. 

I'm afraid I have to admit I prefer the look of a soy blend. I love the creamy, flat look, and smooth feel of them. It does not matter to me if a candle is 100% soy.  I don't know what the benefits of 100% soy are supposed to be. Are they safer or is it the 'renewable' aspect? 'Natural' vs 'synthetic'?

I think the attraction to soy is all the hype soy candle makers made about it being "safer" to burn, allegations of poisons and toxins in paraffin being a fuel byproduct...

That is what I always hear about anyways when people remark how glad they are I have soy candles....I set them straight on it because if you research it it's all BS- a huge marketing gimmick to sell soy

I started with soy and that's what I mainly make, it fits my area of what people want and it's really all I know- I have been playing with parasoy for a couple years and planned to introduce a line with colors and a different type jar because my soy are not colored but I can't seem to get it together keeping up with the soy and messing with wicking all the scents I want to offer 

advantages to soy IMO are you do not see the soot unless you wick it really bad and it does burn cooler, other than that there are many disadvantages as the parasoy takes color beautifully, it does not frost and it's so much easier to get a strong throw along with the creamy look plus you can pour hotter ?

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 8

I started out with paraffin but had to move to soy because of all the hype. I've worked with a lot of waxes and I can tell you each has its pros and cons. You have to ignore the hype and trash talk and abundant ignorance being flung around as 'truth'. There is no such thing as a 'natural' wax. All are highly manufactured, refined, and produced with the use of chemicals and don't forget the fuel used for both transport and manufacturing. Making wax, any wax, leaves a huge ecological footprint and not one type is better than the other.

What blows me away are all the dumb arguments about one wax being better than the other when the use of wax for candlemaking literally takes a waste by product and recycles it instead of creating more waste. Instead, it is cleaned, refined, and formulated for use and I am fine with that.

• Like 4

I too have recently reverted back to soy "just because" Also, the sooting in the paraffin I was using was just too much. I caved in and boarded the soy train. When I was using paraffin I used 4627. A Vaseline like wax in texture. Super messy to work with but throws like nothing you have ever smelled. Because it is suuuuper soft I tried to make a parasoy blend using 444 @ 90%, and 4627 @ 10%. It was actually all I need to complety rid my candle of ugly tops, and gave a very creamy look to the candle. Just 10%! But, I didnt know if I could then still label my candle as a "SOY WAX CANDLE" or if I would be required to label as a parasoy. 

In the end I just left out that 10% paraffin and stuck with 444.   /sigh

On 3/12/2017 at 0:49 PM, Candybee said:

I started out with paraffin but had to move to soy because of all the hype. I've worked with a lot of waxes and I can tell you each has its pros and cons. You have to ignore the hype and trash talk and abundant ignorance being flung around as 'truth'. There is no such thing as a 'natural' wax. All are highly manufactured, refined, and produced with the use of chemicals and don't forget the fuel used for both transport and manufacturing. Making wax, any wax, leaves a huge ecological footprint and not one type is better than the other.

What blows me away are all the dumb arguments about one wax being better than the other when the use of wax for candlemaking literally takes a waste by product and recycles it instead of creating more waste. Instead, it is cleaned, refined, and formulated for use and I am fine with that.

This x10. It is basically just a giant war between companies who are trying to sell Paraffin, Soy, Bees or other type waxes. Its all marketing propaganda to try and persuade the reader into buying their product.

Take this article for example, if you cant tell by reading, they are trying to push Beeswax as the best all around option. Now, even if this is true, it's how they go about bashing the other types of waxes that grinds my gears. That's the part that gets me, not whether my Soy candles are inferior to a Beeswax candle or not, just their attitude in general. In one small paragraph they go from saying that "Soy is processed with a small amount of paraffin" to "contain a high percentage of poisonous paraffin." Well, WHICH IS IT!!!!! :/

"Soy candles contain paraffin

Interestingly, even a 100% soy wax candle must be processed with a small amount of paraffin. Potentially, burning a 100% soy candle will release small amounts of the carcinogens and toxins found in paraffin. Again, most soy candles on the market are not 100% soy, and contain a high percentage of poisonous paraffin.

Soy candles often contain  fragrances and dyes

Additionally, many soy candles contain the same poisonous dyes and fragrances added to paraffin candles. (Granted, some low quality beeswax candles are dyed and fragranced, too, and they do not offer the healing benefits of 100% pure beeswax candles.) Interestingly, essential oils are not safe options for candle fragrances, either. A  soy or beeswax candle scented with essential oils will release toxins, since combustion changes the molecular structure of these oils.

100% pure beeswax candles require no added fragrances or dyes, because the pollen and honey content of the wax offer a natural orange color and light, sweet fragrance."

Link to full article: http://empoweredsustenance.com/soy-vs-beeswax-candles/

Edited by Clear Black

31 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Because it is suuuuper soft I tried to make a parasoy blend using 444 @ 90%, and 4627 @ 10%. It was actually all I need to complety rid my candle of ugly tops, and gave a very creamy look to the candle. Just 10%! But, I didnt know if I could then still label my candle as a "SOY WAX CANDLE" or if I would be required to label as a parasoy. 

In the end I just left out that 10% paraffin and stuck with 444.   /sigh

Has anyone tried adding 10% beeswax to soy wax to help 'smooth' it out?  You'd still be able to call it '100% natural' (whatever 'natural' means) and not be lying.

The Catholic Church requires that their candles be made of beeswax. Yet their candles can be a mix - but as long as they are just over half beeswax, that is OK. Not sure if the percent used has any bearing on being able to call a candle 'soy' if there is also a small % of paraffin mixed in.  Who determines the naming rules anyway?

14 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Has anyone tried adding 10% beeswax to soy wax to help 'smooth' it out?  You'd still be able to call it '100% natural' (whatever 'natural' means) and not be lying.

The Catholic Church requires that their candles be made of beeswax. Yet their candles can be a mix - but as long as they are just over half beeswax, that is OK. Not sure if the percent used has any bearing on being able to call a candle 'soy' if there is also a small % of paraffin mixed in.  Who determines the naming rules anyway?

I think the creamy texture comes from using a softer wax to blend with the Soy. The beeswax i use typically is on the harder/firmer side of waxes so it probably wouldnt make the same creamy effect as I mentioned above. 

I'm sorry I haven't been a part of this discussion more - I went on a trip for the week; back home now.  I have really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the topic.  Personally I don't care much whether or not the candle I'm burning is soy or paraffin.  However, it's everyone else I'm worried about, and with this whole "100% natural soy" train everyone has jumped on, I feel like soy might sell better. B)

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, Clear Black said:

I think the creamy texture comes from using a softer wax to blend with the Soy. The beeswax i use typically is on the harder/firmer side of waxes so it probably wouldnt make the same creamy effect as I mentioned above. 

I know not nearly as much as others here.. but for the heck of it, I was willing to give it a try.  I made a 90% soy, 10% beeswax, and it created a very nice smooth finish. And a nice, slightly off-white color. My beeswax was lab-grade yellow. Fortunately I'm my own customer, and 'natural' does not matter to me, ...so I'll stick with less expensive paraffin. :) 

YMMV

Edited by Incendia

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Moonstar said:

Im looking at my post and theres a few typos but I can't to back any longer and correct it. It was suppose to read the Etsy candles Not easy candles lol ! 

Trappers right, your candles look amazing and I love how rustic and charming your labels always look ! I think its human nature to "compare" I do it all

the time :( 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, cindym said:

Hi Christina, welcome back , nice to see you???  How is Florida??

Read what you wrote

Now I know I am really really new here, so forgive me if I am totally wrong about what I am about to say. I have been reading so much about Soy and Paraffin and the differences, and the positive and the negatives. Supposedly as long as the soy wax is at least 20% or more, you are allowed to label it as soy candle. I don't know that i would go as far to say its 100% because everyone could easily read that it can't be totally 100% pure soy wax. Apparently the law doesn't regulate this. I plan to do my homework though...just in case!

On 3/23/2017 at 3:57 PM, Incendia said:

I know not nearly as much as others here.. but for the heck of it, I was willing to give it a try.  I made a 90% soy, 10% beeswax, and it created a very nice smooth finish. And a nice, slightly off-white color. My beeswax was lab-grade yellow. Fortunately I'm my own customer, and 'natural' does not matter to me, ...so I'll stick with less expensive paraffin. :) 

YMMV

I had to look in my notes, but just to add for reference (from my notes):

GW415 - Blends with other waxes, such as paraffin or beeswax.

GW464-   Does not mix well with beeswax, but mixes with paraffin. 

I'm not sure of the source for the above, but I made a note of it.

~~~~~~~

On 3/23/2017 at 3:25 PM, ehatch1 said:

However, it's everyone else I'm worried about, and with this whole "100% natural soy" train everyone has jumped on, I feel like soy might sell better. B)

The thing is that a candle can be 100% soy -- but, imo, it's not 100% "natural" -- for instance, soy cannot be considered "organic."

Also, it's likely that most of the soy wax that is available contains GMO soy beans, and, in turn, has had any presence of pesticides removed.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 3:23 PM, birdcharm said:

I had to look in my notes, but just to add for reference (from my notes):

GW415 - Blends with other waxes, such as paraffin or beeswax.

GW464-   Does not mix well with beeswax, but mixes with paraffin. 

I'm not sure of the source for the above, but I made a note of it.

~~~~~~~

The thing is that a candle can be 100% soy -- but, imo, it's not 100% "natural" -- for instance, soy cannot be considered "organic."

Also, it's likely that most of the soy wax that is available contains GMO soy beans, and, in turn, has had any presence of pesticides removed.

I have read that GMO soy has been engineered to not be killed by Roundup. Can Roundup be removed from wax? Herbicide drift has been reported by farmers coming from fields adjacent to their own. I had to quit eating all soy except soy sauce, and I don't know if I am allergic to soy or if it is related to the GMO issue.

• Like 1