Your candle business name

moniek

I would like to know how everyone got their candle business name. I will start with mine. When I first started, my husband had a dream, he seen my "name" on a sign. My business name is "Ramona by Candlelight". I thought that was very unique!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I could come up with was "That Girl Potions" or something equally as lame. I wanted something that was kinda playful but relevent to candles, and not limiting in case i ever wanted to expand to soaps and such. Something kinda urban, maybe a little hipsterish, definatly not country, homey, prim or gender specific. Something that allowed for changeable packaging styles. So...nothing. Finally, I decided to stop trying so hard and just let it happen. Then one day it just came to me, while alphebatizing our ridiculiously massive cd collection..."i melt with you". It can mean whatever I want it to mean, and I can go in any direction. Maybe a bit dated, if ya even get it, but I am happy with it. Domain name was avail and that settled it. :cheesy2:

We used the first initials of our family members names... Terri ~ Victoria~ Brianna and Kevin to create an acronym for The Very Best Kandles. When Cameron came along last year, we unofficially added the word company.

Most people know us as TVBK.

Mine is "Candles Soaps & Stuff", basically because that is what I sell and I am the worst at names. Let me give you prime examples -

I started out making gift baskets, company name - "Baskets & Stuff"

My dog's name was "Chow" (guess what kind of dog he was)

My 1st son's name is Darren (yep, after his daddy)

My 2nd son's name is Zachary (ran out of alphabet, so "Z"achary it was)

I like it, because it doesn't limit me to anything, and when I open my retail store, I can sell whatever the heck I want in it, because "stuff" pretty much covers it all. And when I look, alot of people have the words, stuff or such at the end of their name. But mine was first!!!!

I could've gone with Candles, Soaps & Beyond. But they would of thought of BB&B or worse, Light Buzzyear!!!!!

Anyway that's my story.

Tracy

I didn't want to fuss with getting a web name, or having someone want to steal my name, so I picked one that I doubted anyone would ever want ;) - the name of the street where we live. There's only 5 houses on a dirt road, and the only other Waters Gulch is a trail around Lake Shasta in CA.

Plus, I didn't know how far I wanted to expand, so I wanted a generic name that didn't really mean anything. So I'm Waters Gulch LLC, and DH has his web business as Waters Gulch Digital. It's a well known name around here in the valley, so it's recognizable to my local customers.

FEMM Candles stands for my siblings and I first name initial, Felix, Elmys (that's me), Mayra and Michael. I lost my sister, Mayra, almost 10 years ago and my mother came up with the name. Her wish is for the other siblings to start businesses with the FEMM name. So it’s kind of a sentimental kind of thing.

I too didn't want a name someone could steal so I took the first 2 letters of each of my kids' names to come up with my business name: JaCaMo Natural Scentsations. I also wanted something that would grow with me since I knew I would eventually expand from candles into B&B. I've wanted to do this for as long as I can remember so the name had to be really special.

Years ago when I first started candles...I was Special Creations by Nikki..I took a 12 month break. When I started back up, I said I wanted something that didn't sound home-based (even though I am).....DH said think of something the candles represent....then he said he thinks of illusions....so we got it Ellusionz Candles. I can always count on his creativity!

I posted this on the old board once. I named my business Thumbwick Candles, because my last name means thumb (or finger) in Czech. So I played around with Thumb - Thumbthing, Thumbody, stuff like that, and finally settled on Thumbwick, which I think sounds like it could be a small village somewhere in England, although it's not as far as I know. I wanted to create a new word, so I could be fairly sure no one else was using the name. I googled it, and not a thing came up! Can you believe it? Well, then I knew it was the name for me, plus it's a lot easier to spell than my real name:)

I wanted a name that expressed my love for God. I was a teacher in the public schools for 9 years ago, before I got up the nerve to quit and be a business woman and a better wife and mom. Throughout my years teaching I could never share my love of Christ openly with my students. I am blessed to be able to do so now. I was going to be Cornerstone Creations or Capstone Creations but those were both taken.

I decided on Pathlight Creations - taken from one of my favorite verses in the Bible, which is also the source of the song, Thy Word, that Amy Grant made popular years ago. Chris and I had that song as part of our wedding which makes it even more special

Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

These are great stories, it's fun to see where our origins are!

I wanted my business to include my son's name, Henry. I also wanted the name to reflect my business ideal, which is a traditional, elegant, timeless, non-trendy type of business. Henry & Co. was the best one that I heard, and I instantly loved it. My husband and I are the "Co." and Henry is, well, the Henry!

I looked up words that had to do with candles (light, flame, etc) in foreign language dictionaries and found "iluminare" which I think is Portuguese (can't remember). It got a lot of attention and people seem to dig it. :-)

My name is after my two daughters Katrina & Trinity, they are my inspiration. Several years ago when I first started out it was going to be Fruits of the Spirit, but I just wanted a change and since my daughters are such an important part of my life I just had to use their names.