Your candle business name

moniek

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is Ranaé Candles.  I actually named it after my then wife's middle name. Oddly enough she had nothing to do with the business in any form, she only managed to sell a couple of my products to one co-worker, meanwhile I could sell 20 of them in one day just by having them sit on my desk at work.  When we divorced I kept all the business assets since I created them all, and I wasn't about to change the name after establishing the brand.  Now I kinda get a chuckle because I know she walks right by them in some of the stores where I commission my products and she doesn't get a dime of it.

I just registered our company name this week! Sostrata LLC.

Sostrata is a class of butterfly. I came across the name about a year ago. One night while spending time with family and friends at our rustic getaway we noticed a really large butterfly or moth (it was about the size of my hand) fluttering intently about a yard light attached to an outbuilding. My mother had an insect book handy and we tried to figure out what it was. As I was thumbing through the book I saw the name Sostrata and loved it.

The Sostrata name and logo portrays our commitment to recognize the beauty in everything and everyone around us, to be mindful of the impact we all have on our surroundings and endeavor to preserve the delicate balance of nature and life.

We are Queen Bee Candle Company. 

About 15 years ago, our mom had tinkered with soapmaking and candlemaking for local craft fairs, and made a little money, but mostly enjoyed the crafting end of it.  Sales slowed and she liquidated her inventory, but we always remembered how much fun it had been to see the kitchen so busy with great-smelling stuff.   When she went home to be with the Lord in 2008, we started out making candles from a Peak's soy container kit for a project to therapeutically keep our minds occupied with something creative and productive.  We ordered another to make Christmas gifts for family, and we were hooked.

We later had requests from gift recipients for more, and landed on the idea that this neat hobby could also generate some extra pocket money.  So, we did our homeworks, got all the proper licensings, insurance, etc.  Our workshop is in the home our mother left us, and we feel such a comforting presence like her spirit watching over us, that we wanted to incorporate her into the business.  Our nickname for her was The Queen, always said with great love and affection, so Queen Bee Candle company was the only name that seemed to be a unique fit for us.

My husband is a graphic artist and free-handed our logo, which is the Queen Bee herself.  The three little gemstones on her crown represent my sister, my mom, and myself :)

• 2 weeks later...