Your candle business name

moniek

I really wanted something different for my company and my name. I simply adore the Prim and Country angle, which is so popular down South (of course, where I am transplanted!). However, I wanted to be little more edgier...sexier...and modern. I thought "indescent" would be a great reflection and a play on words that would make people look. LOL as you can see from the image on the webpage, it certainly grabs your attention. After that everything else just flowed--- when you have candle names like "Lust", "Papparazzi", and the like your name has to match up. I wanted it to have a "girlfriend" kind of feel to it, which is why in certain areas of the site you'll see what appear to be little post it notes written from "Indescent".

Anyway, of course, when DH saw it he says, "Hey...you spelled it wrong".

LOL ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband chose the name, he wanted us to not sound home based, and wanted the website address to be easy to find. When we first started out, we were going to simply be resellers of Mia Bella Candles, which at the time, we were told were soy. Back then I knew nothing about candles, turned out they were palm. So, my husband and I agreed on the name Soyscents.ca.

By putting the .ca in there , we are hoping people avoid putting .com on the end and going to a competitors site. Plus it lets everyone know we are a canadian company. It commits me to offering soy candles , but dosnt hold me back from offering paraffin candles and b&b either.

Neways, I dropped Mia Bella once i learned the guys didnt have the greatest of business ethics, (that and I had to charge atleast $2.50 for a votive and $28.00 for a jar to make any profit, OUCH) and have spent the last year mastering candles and soap. We hope to get our site online and start selling this fall.

I live in the middle of Nebraska Prairie, surrounded by sagebrush, hay, sunflower fields, and corn. I wanted my business name to reflect the way I feel about my home, and where I grew up, so it needed to be wholesome and country. I stressed about it for weeks and weeks, and one day it just hit me when I was driving up our lane..I knew where I was~ Sagebrush Junction :)

Originally I was going to call my candle company Holly's Candle Cottage because we live in a very unique Victorian home which looks kinda like a Gingerbread house (cottage house) tucked in the trees. I figured I would most likely not have a store front -- not anytime in the near future anyway -- and thought that since I make my candles from home with my own hands that name would fit. As I began to think it over, it looked too personal and too common with someone's first name in the beginning -- even though I do like names like that. So, I started to want something that had a little more of a professional name -- not that a single person's name is not professional - can't quite find the right word to describe the difference bewteen the two at the moment. I then thought about Newman Lake Candle Cottage since we live in Newman Lake, WA. I love the sound of Newman Lake. It reflects a beautiful treed lake area in the Northwest. I talked with my husband and when I went to test out some tags for the candles I noticed that it was somewhat of a long name. So, my husband said, "have you thought about just Newman Lake Candles" and I told him that I did think about it but was unsure. So, that is what we decided -- Newman Lake Candles. :smiley2: I hope I made the right choice. I am not real creative when it comes to names. lol

the name Im going with is the name of our home so it was easy for me

Pine Lodge Candle Co, I used a photo of our home on the label too. It'll be a long time before Im ready to sell candles but I plan on having cabin/lodge decor also, its something not easily found in our area when I decorated our home I had to get everything online.

My husband came up with Raccoon River Candle Company after he got frustrated that he had the website all done, except for a company name. We live in Iowa and both grew up somewhat close to the river. I wanted a company name that sounded professional, but that everyone would reconize locally. I also have to give him credit for coming up with the idea of putting a picture of a river on our candle and soap labels.

Kim

I live on a 40 acre hobby farm in central Minnesota in a 110 year old farm house. I started doing B&B first then also got into soy candles. At first I wanted something "up northy" but couldn't find just the right name, then I cam up with Farm House Formulas and that one stuck!

My son also came up with our name, Simple ScentSations, which wasn't very original and I knew that, but it made my son soooo proud when I said I liked it, (he didn't think I would) that I didn't have the heart to say I wouldn't use it!:smiley2:

Now, it's who we are!:)

Funny~ sometimes kids know "who we are" before we get it all figured out!! I love your story :)

Mine is Countryside Candles, but it doesn't really mean anything! I had the HARDEST time coming up with a name, had a whole page full of choices. I finally narrowed it down to three, and my husband liked this one the best. We do live out in the country, so I guess it does sort of fit my situation

;) Wanted my love for God included in my name and how he keeps me calm when I'm ready to freak. Wanted something like serenity, serene, etc. When I looked up those words on the computer, "quietude" showed up. Hence the name Quietude Candles+.

The plus allows me to expand.

Thanks for sharing,

Asjiah

post-310-139458378105_thumb.gif

Well mine started out as Warrendale Wicks.. Warrendale because i live in warrendale and i added the wicks cause i hated them at the time LOL Now that im doing B&B i added the washes. So full name is Warrendale Wicks & Washes. It looks pretty cool on my business cards, cause its WWW :D i know im cheesy LOL

I really don't have a "story" behind my name, but I came up with Scentiments by Debbie and it stuck. I was kind of down because of a relationship ended, and it was my first and only choice. (Sorry it's not very exciting)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thought I would bump this and see if we could get some more replies.

When I decided to sell, I sat down and thought literally for hours for a name and Southern Scents just kept "hitting" me in the head or somehting. Well, I checked to see if there was webspace available and, there was not so I sat back down and came up with a few more names, none as elegant as Southern Scents so I added the hyphen when searching for a website and it was available and I have been Southern Scents to this day.

Seven years ago this month my Mom died very unexpectedly out here in her country home on her farm on Bugtussle Lane. We felt we had to take care of her home and moved from our gorgeous 2-story brick home in Sugarland (w of Houston) to her home. What else can you do with that strange of a name?? We began Bugtussle Lane Candle Co. I would never go back! Carole

I started making candles during an adoption loss. We'd fostered 2 sisters the oldest twice for 3yrs total. As we were approaching the hearing to terminate parental rights the social workers had a change of heart and decided to try to reunite the girls and their mom one more time. They sent the baby home first :angry2: as she'd only been with us a year. We knew if the placement with the baby was considered a success the oldest would be leaving too but we didn't know when. Jan. to May when she finally was returned "home" we went day to day week to week never knowing if she was going or staying. I needed something to destract me from the stress and remembered making candles with my mom as a kid. I decided to get some books from the library and it grew from there.

My name is Never Forgotten in honor of my two almost daughters.

I had a brain storming week! with my kids, parents, hubby and myself involved. Kept drawing up lists etc.

The kids had it pinned at Rainbow wax, but whilst I like that it didn't sound professional enough for me.

Then I thought about what I would be selling, not just wax, but other items, (I intended having a section on there at one point, selling things I would have sold on ebay, kids clothing, household etc) and thought well its all the other stuff too, etcetera.

Hence, WaxCetera was born :D

I like it, its catchy

Mine is CT River Candles....we moved to a new home on the CT River shortly after I had lower back surgery. While recuperating, I started researching candlemaking on my laptop while stuck in bed. I found it fascinating and decided it would be that fun job I always wanted to have. My husband kept taking photos on the river and the combo of river photos and candle names was born. My first candle name was "Strong Currents" - Candlescience's Wildberry Mousse Scent. And the addiction was born.....my back is alot better thankfully :smiley2: