Who/What is the best "Virtual" Mentor

Judy, USMC

There are so many information sources for a newbie but not all sources are the same. Some books are better than others ~ same with YouTube; soooo many of them have a lot of mis-information or use their own non-standard terms. In one book it even refers to trace as "the pudding stage." Problem is I (along with a lot of others) don't know enough to filter out the bad ones.

There are kits available ... but I don't want to just follow directions. I want to start off on the right foot by learning not only what to do but what not to do.

So can you recommend the best starting point for someone who wants some serious direction on where to go to start their research into general soap making? Where would you send them?

Is there a specific book title; or a link to a blog; or maybe even a reputable supplier's site? I know there are several great places ... just have to find them!

Thanks!

Judy, the first book I picked up was 'Smart Soapmaking' by Anne L. Watson. She covers the equipment that is needed and breaks everything down into steps. There are even some very simple recipes. Alicia Grosso also has a book called 'The Everything Soapmaking Book'. There are several editions on Amazon. Her newest version is due out in December but I haven't bought her book yet. She is a well-respected member on another forum and when she mentioned she was updating her book, I decided to wait for the new one.

One of the best websites is Miller Soap. http://www.millersoap.com/ A lot of good information including troubleshooting, info on rebatching and a section of other people's horror stories. As you know, you can learn a lot from your mistakes.

I have this blog marked because she is very creative with her soap designs. She usually has a video on how she makes the soaps as well. Not starting from scratch but once you have the batter made.

http://soapandrestless.blogspot.com/search/label/Cold%20Process%20Soap

I agree with Lorelei, Soap Queen is very good as well.

And of course, you need Soap Calc. Even though you get a tried and true recipe from someone, it's always best to run it through Soap Calc to check the lye. One reason is an experienced soapmaker may use a more concentrated lye solution. Or, the recipe could have been typed incorrectly. For your first batches, you will probably want to use full water or close to it. I think I started with a 30% lye concentration. I now do 33-35% depending on the recipe or fragrance oil. More experienced soapmakers will go as high as a 40% lye solution.

http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

I think Brambleberry and a couple of other places have a lye calculator as well. I prefer Soap Calc. The one from Summer Bee Meadow I use if I need to resize a batch for a mold. You enter the recipe and click the button. After the recipe redisplays, at the bottom you can enter the dimensions of the mold and get your recipe resized for that mold.

http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/lye-calculator-and-recipe-resizer

Other than that, a good scale, stickblender and work in grams. I absolutely love to make soap! Hope you enjoy it as well. :)

J

eta: Forgot this link. Good place to calculate a different lye concentration or determine a lye concentration.

http://www.rivercitysoaps.com/dwcp/watercalc.php

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Thanks Lorelei and MarineMom - Both of you have given me some great places to start!

Just in those few places there is a wealth of info that I've tagged in my Favorites file. Now off to look for Anne Watson's book. Guess the Grosso book will be my Christmas present to myself. I'm sure I'll have enough research to keep me busy til then! Bless you for sharing.

This is kinda OT

This thread got me to thinking, even though I only do MP in the soap, "Where did I get most of my info from... online? Youtube? Soapy Love? the book by TKB Trading's owner?... ?"

Honestly, while all of those things did help me tremendously and it was really nice having a book to flip through immediately to find something out , or a video I could pull up.. I got the vast majority of any sort of knowledge, from on here !! Then I thought.. wouldn't it be amazing if some of the really talented soapers and candlers made a book and sold it .

Then I got to thinking............... we couldn't afford it if they did ! OMG there's SO much knowledge in these ladies and gents heads that they've shared, it would be more like a full enclyopedia set of books LOL

Thank GOD for this forum !!

These are books that have helped me out in the beginning.I've been soap and candlemaking for 7 yrs and I still learn a lot every time I tackle a new project.The Soapmaker's Companion by Susan Cavitch, Soap Making It and Enjoying it by Ann Bramson ( this is an old book, still in print, not sure if I have the title right, but the author's name is correct-----real simple directions), The Complete Soapmaker by Norma Coney ( this book also shows you how to handmill soaps, but has the basic directions for cold Process soapmaking,) also has recipes. Delores Boone has an excellent book out, I have that 1 also use, it is useful for learning how to make soap using the hot process method, either in an oven, crockpot, etc.---I think the name is Handcrafting Soaps, not sure, even though I have the book :) Sandy Maine (Sunfeather Soaps) is also another good author, Casey Makela(milk soaps). Catherine Failor has several books on liquid soapmaking(gels, bubble baths, etc)

Hope this will help out. These books helped me a great deal and since they have recipes in them, I still use them a great deal.

I learned from millers several years ago & off here. I would recommend Kim from Natures Art YT channels. She has 30 years of soapmaking experience and has great tips for advanced soapers too. Her biz channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/MyNaturesArt her how-to channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/NGProductTester she tests products for NG. I really love Amanda's blog from http://www.lovinsoap.com too!

I find Youtube invaluable for learning new soaping techniques. Our own Barbara has a few vids and there are soapers from all over the world sharing their ideas but they don't ususally give out their formulas. One of the best recipes on the board is Quiet Girl's. It makes an outstanding bar of soap and most of the ingredients, if not all can be found in your grocery or wally world. Soap Queen would be my choice for anyone looking for a virtual source on soapmaking IMHO. Just type in soapmaking or swirls on Youtube and get ready to watch a lot of vids. HTH

Steve

Hi Steve,

Could you share Quiet Girls recipe? I found a thread with the recipe in it, but I was blocked from opening. TIA

I find Youtube invaluable for learning new soaping techniques. Our own Barbara has a few vids and there are soapers from all over the world sharing their ideas but they don't ususally give out their formulas. One of the best recipes on the board is Quiet Girl's. It makes an outstanding bar of soap and most of the ingredients, if not all can be found in your grocery or wally world. Soap Queen would be my choice for anyone looking for a virtual source on soapmaking IMHO. Just type in soapmaking or swirls on Youtube and get ready to watch a lot of vids. HTH

Steve

Our own Barbara has a few vids and there are soapers from all over the world sharing their ideas but they don't ususally give out their formulas.

Barbara has some excellent videos. Great mention, Steve.

Chandler, this might be Quietgirl's recipe I had found in a thread. But, I can't confirm for sure. The post said it was Quiet's except that the Kokum was Shea.

Coconut oil 15%

Safflower oil 25%

Crisco 15%

Kokum Butter 5%

Olive oil 25%

PKO 15%

Edited by ProudMarineMom

That's it and yes it's Shea but you can sub Kokum. I'm using a bar that is about a year old and it is just so sudsy and nice. A word of caution, you might find this a little soft at first but it hardens up real nice. You may need to leave it in the mold a couple of days, just check it before you unmold. HTH

Steve

I'm still learning as I starting CP soaping this year. I second Miller's soap as a great place to start reading about general soapmaking. There is a lot of great info already listed so I won't repeat. I will say that my fav soapmaker vids on you tube are from BathMistress. But you can't beat our very own Babs. I love, love, love her soaps and soap vids.

You should also get familiar with sites like soapcalc which also has lots of great info for the type and properties of the soap you want to make.

Thanks Guys!

Chandler, this might be Quietgirl's recipe I had found in a thread. But, I can't confirm for sure. The post said it was Quiet's except that the Kokum was Shea.

Coconut oil 15%

Safflower oil 25%

Crisco 15%

Kokum Butter 5%

Olive oil 25%

PKO 15%

Barbara AL - I did watch the informative videos and noticed the black brace on your hand. Hope the surgery works!

I tore a cartilage in my right hand between the third finger, also had a large cyst removed in the palm along with having Kienbock's disease in my Lunate carpal tunnel bone the doctor had to make the bone next to the Lunate shorter to take the pressure off of it he also removed the torn cartilage. I am looking at 6 months to recover.

Coconut oil 15%

Safflower oil 25%

Crisco 15%

Kokum Butter 5%

Olive oil 25%

PKO 15%

Wonder if this is new Crisco or old Crisco? Anyone know?

PS Speedy healing wished to Barbara!