Someone wanting to Review my products

jackbenimble

Hi Guys! A girl just sent me an email about sending her some of my tarts (which I don't sell tarts I sell mostly candles and a few clamshells) to review for her blog. Here is the email she just sent. Any opinions? Is this a scam?

Hello,

My name is Carrie, and I am running a blog called Sweet Southern Home.

http://sweetsouthernhome.wordpress.com/

I write about a little of everything, but for the most part the posts are about candles and tarts, and my honest reviews of tart companies. I am a member of many prominent candle discussion sites such as Candlefind and What Smells So Good, and the customers on the boards are friends of mine, and read my posts. My Facebook page is at almost 600 fans. I am so glad to have found your Facebook page. I was writing to you to see if you might be interested in sending me a small selection of tarts to review on my blog. I am a very experienced tart melter/candle user, and I like to give people honest, unbiased opinions. Your site happens to have a great scent list. I especially love the names of your fragrances! I would love the chance to try some of your items and give my thoughts on them. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will check out my site!

Sincerely,

Carrie A.

Here is an example of one of my reviews:

http://sweetsouthernhome.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/delightful-incense-review/

I am a "fan" of the Facebook page What smells so good so she probably found my link from that because I post on there some.

I agree this is someone wanting free stuff. I'd tell her (if you really care about her reviews) that she's welcome to purchase your products and review them. I can see if you contacted someone to get reviews to give some free samples but she contacted you basically asking for freebies. Is she going to do this everytime you add a new scent or product, want freebies to "review"? And who's to say she will really review them? I remember some time ago there being a lady that did this on facebook and she was a scammer. For some reason the name what smells so good is ringing a bell, but, I could have it confused. If I remember correctly the lady had changed the name of her facebook page a few times. There were many posts about this on this board. Maybe do a search and see what comes up to see if it's the same page.

ETA: ok did a search and this is one of the posts regarding what I was talking about.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?29532-Candlemakers-beware

Not the same name, but, the last page of the thread states she changed the name of her facebook page to "What Smells So Good".

I'd be inclined to tell her to take a hike or just ignore her altogether.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I get these requests all the time. I don't think it is worth it in most cases the blog followers never buy anything. Everyone has a blog these days and wants to do review...it is just a way to get free stuff.

I got a request from a 10 or 12 year old just a few days ago.

You'll never hear back from them.. There are whole blogs and websites dedicated to getting free stuff by offering to write a "review".

Just for a reality check-- legitimate reviewers purchase the product to sample then write a review.

I love to screw around with these smucks. Ask them for references, sample works (at least 3) of their reviews, complete biz address, ph, etc, of the magazine or ezine they are working for (legit business's always have an address), what their readership is; how many readers and their target audience, etc. This will make them disappear faster than you can say scammer.

I guess it's in the water everyone.... Got 2 of them just yesterday and since were all family, here's some info on them both:

Both from that site that starts with an E and ends with a Y but it's not on the "Bay" =)

1. Jessica Shaw

Hello,

How are you? My name is Jessica and I am the author of I Give U Get Giveaways (igiveugetgiveaways.com). We are getting ready to start our new Giveaway A Day feature on our blog and I was wondering if you would be interested in donating one item from your shop to a giveaway on our site. Each day we will feature a new giveaway on our site for our readers to enter. You are also welcome to giveaway a gift card to your shop.

Sponsoring a giveaway will increase exposure to your etsy shop and help you gain followers on Facebook & Twitter. My readers will be asked to favourite you etsy shop, like you on Facebook and follow you on Twitter for entries to the giveaway. All of our giveaways are hosted with Rafflecopter (www.rafflecopter.com/) which makes it super easy to people to enter our giveaways. Giveaways run for 7 days and I will contact you with their address when the giveaway has ended so you can ship their prize.

If you are interested in sponsoring a giveaway please feel free to reply or email me at jessica@igiveugetgiveaways.com.

And then...

2. terarose32287

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is Tera Hoseck, and I'm writing you in regards to your line. I'm currently doing product reviews on different makeup products and tools as well as skincare. I am now branching out into candles and bath and body products. I have heard many good things about your line. I would love to do a review on your products and post a video review on my you tube channel (www.youtube.com/user/shadesofneutralme) or on my blog (www.shadesofneutralme.blogspot.com)

If your Company is looking for Reviewers I'd love to take part.

You may contact me directly at this email address

Thank You for your time,

Tera Hoseck

www.youtube.com/user/shadesofneutralme

www.shadesofneutralme.blogspot.com

_______END OF SHAMELESS BEGGING FOR FREE STUFF______

Now usually when we get these either on the "E" site or on our website I just delete them but recently have took a moment (wasting my time) and did look at their blogs and youtube channel too and it just amazes me that if your going to send me a "request" to "review" anything, please have more subscribers, followers, or even uploaded videos to youtube THAN WE HAVE ALREADY! Ok, I lied... we don't have more then 5 videos up on youtube but geezs, give me 30 minutes and I could have more that you! UGH!

Anyways, this reminds me why I just delete them and don't pay attention.....It's a waste of your time and MY TIME!

**End Rant**

Yup, I get this all the time, especially from people who say they own a store and want to carry my product, would I mind sending them some samples to try first. I tell them they can purchase a tart/melt first to see if they like the scent before buying a bigger candle. For some reason I never hear back from them. The only place that I have sent free samples to is Candlefind.com because I solicited them for the review.

I just got the one from Tera Hoseck on my Etsy!!! Think I will either ignore or be rude. Don't know which yet...

Damn, just went to contact her and her account is no longer on Etsy, guess she pissed off too many people LOL!

Edited by Wessex