Question for chandlers and number of waxes they use

I find it interesting in reading chandler posts about what seems to be so many different waxes you use. I understand you select your wax, containers and wicks to get the best melt pool, throw, flame size, burn time, etc and all of this can change based on your fragrance oil. Or something like that.

My question is, however you sell (shows, parties, web, retail), at any given time, how many of your candles have the same wax. Or if you were selling 12 different fragrances, are you using 12 different waxes/blends.

I was thinking about this while at the craft fair I attended yesterday. Wondered if each candle a booth had was actually a different kind of wax.

For tarts, my wax is the same. It is my own blend and I have changed it over the years and will still try to tweak it now and then but otherwise, it is the same recipe for all 300+ scents I carry. I adjust the oil (amount, supplier, recipe) to get the best throw and realistic scent, but never the wax recipe.

I continue to be amazed and delighted as I read the candle making threads.

I use the same wax and wicks for all my scents. If the FO doesn't work with my wax and wicks then I don't use it. HTH :-)

This makes perfect sense to me!

But when I read some of these posts, it seems to me that they use this wax and that wax and mix and match. Maybe I'm reading the posts all wrong or misunderstanding. I see advice about try this wax with that wick and fragrance oil and if that doesn't work, add some of that wax, etc. To me, just don't use that scent instead of testing with all these different waxes. I'm with you, Jackbenimble!

Same for me, I use one wax blend for everything - and if a FO doesn't work it goes in the reject pile. I have enough variety already! I basically use 2 different wicks, depending on size and FO as to which gets used. I like my system, and don't see any reason to change. But, I don't do containers - if I cave in and start carrying them, then I'll have to consider a second wax I suppose.. :wink2:

For me I use different waxes for different "types" of products. For container candles I use 464 straight up (thinking about a little beeswax to possibly help with frosting) but when I started with containers I used CB135- still not totally sure why I switched but I did and I am now to far into testing to go back

For my wax melts I did use 464 with PB- in all my reading on this forum it was for the reason of being able to get a better HT and hold more FO- well I didnt care for the looks of it- it frosted alot so I switched to CB 135 and PB and that is working perfect for me

For votives same thing only more PB than 464 and I recently switched to CB135 for those as well and love the results

In containers if I cannot get a good HT along with good burn I table it and continue on- those ones that I absolutely LOVE and HAVE to have I am willing to try in a different wax to hopefully achieve good results (I am trying those in C3) and if that doesnt work, well then I have to give it up- but I always stick with the same types of wicks- CD, HTP and now CDN

I think most of us have a primary wax we like to use for a specific application. I make and sell palm wax container candles so I use container palm.

But if I want to make tarts, pillars, etc. I may use a different wax for that. Again, over the years I have used several types of waxes in paraffin, soy, and palm. It all comes down to what I am making and my wax preference for that application.

Edited by Candybee

I think most of us have a primary wax we like to use for a specific application. I make and sell palm wax container candles so I use container palm.

But if I want to make tarts, pillars, etc. I may use a different wax for that. Again, over the years I have used several types of waxes in paraffin, soy, and palm. It all comes down to what I am making and my wax preference for that application.

I use 2 different waxes. One for containers and one for melts.. It doesn't make much sense to use so many different waxes for different scents, what a waste of money. If that particular scent doesn't work in my wax then I try and find similar FO's from different suppliers or blend my own. I remember years ago when I started making melts I used my container wax and they rocked but nobody was into the clamshell tarts yet and they wanted the molded ones. I had a heck of a time constantly having to stick them in my freezer to get them out that it wasted alot of my time so I switched waxes for my tarts.

I understand you select your wax, containers and wicks to get the best melt pool, throw, flame size, burn time, etc and all of this can change based on your fragrance oil.

Not exactly. I learn to wick the particular wax to the container and wick first. Then I match FOs that all wick the same to arrive at the size I use for that container & wax. The FO has to conform to that because I am not going to use umpty different wick types and sizes in the same container and wax just to suit a persnickety FO. The FO works within the system or I find another that will. It's as simple as that. I'm not gonna wick up or down; I'm not gonna use more than 1 oz. PP. The FO either works with my system for that wax & container or it goes on the reject shelf. Time is money and I don't have the time to fiddle around with the system to suit a peculiar FO. That's what I call the tail waggin' the dog.

how many of your candles have the same wax. Or if you were selling 12 different fragrances, are you using 12 different waxes/blends.

Absolutely NOT. THAT'S the tail waggin' the dog!!

I make containers (NatureWax C3 & "Glass Glow" container palm wax), Votives (EcoSoya PB, NatureWax C3, Container or pillar palm wax, depending), Tarts (Ecosoya PB, NatureWax C3 & pillar palm wax, depending), Pillars (Pillar Palm wax, sometimes EcoSoya PB rarely). So I'm using: 4 different blends of palm wax & 2 kinds of soy.

Edited by Stella1952

Try to narrow your waxes to a minimum. The more experience you have with a preferred wax, the more precise your candles will be. I use one votive, one pillar and one palm wax. You begin to learn the characteristics of each wax the more you work with it. It is amazing what you can do with one wax once you make mistakes and learn from them.

Oh, I don't make candles and not planning on it, I just enjoy reading candle posts and was curious. I was just making an observation that it seems to me, based on posts I read on this board, some people use several different waxes for the same type of candle.

Now that I've read these responses, seems everyone mostly used one wax per type of candle, with the exception of Stella.

I use two types of paraffin, one for containers (which takes one formulation and is a different wax than the rest), and one for pillars/molded candles. Those two are the main waxes. The only difference is that if I'm making mottled pillars/molded candles, I use a different formulation than I do for regular "non mottled" candles. And to an extent, with fragrance oil, the formula can be different. Mainly on how much FO I put in. Sometimes I need less FO for good throw than using another FO. But that's incidental I suppose.

I use paraffin for the majority of my work, but also palm. I tried soy and don't care for it. I also use beeswax when it is requested, but it's almost always unscented and in natural color. Just depends on the shape, which I also limit on availability.

I am along the same lines as most I guess. We do use currently 6 different types of waz across all of our products. Each has its place. I am with Stella on the FO. If it does not work in my system I wont use it. I will not use more than 1 oz / lb, I will not use 600 different wicks in one jar type to match every FO I use. if the FO does not work at 1 oz with the 2 standard wicks that I use, then it either goes into tarts or into the discontinued pile.

The testing of new FO's and containers is a long enough process as it is, not to mention carrying so many different scents. I really do not know how some of you manage to carry 200 or 300 scents. To me that is just insane, thinking of how much money is tied up in oils sitting on the shelf. If something is not selling well for me, out it goes as I cannot afford to be having oils sit for slow sales.

I use one type of wax for my melts, and two types of wax for containers. That's it. Someday I may cut back to one wax for containers, but for now I have plenty of each kind. I like 4630 because it is a little bit cheaper, but I also like J50. First I test with 4630. If I can't get the burn I want, I try J50 which works better on heavy scents. If that doesn't work, I use up the FO in melts and don't reorder it. In the beginning I tried a lot of different wicks because I was learning but now only use a couple kinds. Wicks are cheaper than FO, so I try to make most FO's from my suppliers work. Once I figured out what I was doing, it isn't as hard to get a good burn. I guess I'm a slow learner because it took a lot of tests and a lot of wicks to figure it out. :tiptoe:

Well, a lot of us are still experimenting and learning. I've used just about every kind of IGI wax and most of the soy wax. I've used every kind of Palm and a healthy sampling of proprietary blends from the suppliers.

It depends on what I'm making.

For pillars, I'm happy with 4625. IGI 1274 mottling wax is fun. Sometimes a feathering palm.

For cut/curl I like IGI 1343 or Candlewic 4045EP

For tapers I like IGI 4807 for dripless. Feathering or starburst palm makes for some interesting patterns, but they drip like crazy.

For hurricanes I have not settled on a wax yet, but I think the IGI 1260 will be just fine (I've been using a lower MP and obviously need to raise it).

For forever candles that have a glass tealight insert, same thing, high MP wax, doesn't matter which one.

For containers, I have not settled on a wax yet. Front runners are J50 and J223 followed by IGI 4786 and then Harmony. Just about everything else I've tried is not the real me.

Tealights work with just about any container wax.

Tarts - still experimenting.

For votives I'm still experimenting.

The left over goes into firestarters.

For restaurant type table candles, any kind of soy with no scent is fine for me.

For gel's, I'm still experimenting. There's pretty much only one game in town though and the choices are low, medium or high density.

I choose a wick series for the wax and go up or down in that series depending on the FO. Rarely do I change series just for an FO, but if I make an EO candle, well, that's a whole different story.

So is it appropriate to use 12 different wax products for 12 different candles? I guess it depends. 12 different types of candles from hurricanes to containers to pillars to tapers might necessitate a different wax. But 12 different containers will probably all get the same wax and I don't change wax to accommodate an FO.

Edited by EricofAZ

The testing of new FO's and containers is a long enough process as it is, not to mention carrying so many different scents. I really do not know how some of you manage to carry 200 or 300 scents. To me that is just insane, thinking of how much money is tied up in oils sitting on the shelf. If something is not selling well for me, out it goes as I cannot afford to be having oils sit for slow sales.

I have to agree here. Too many scents makes inventory/production control challenging.

Too many choices are not always good for customers. People get confused and frustrated and actually walk away purchasing less, or none. The magic number for choices to maximize sales from the customer shopping behavior studies is something pretty low, like less than 12.

I use 2 different waxes. One for containers and one for melts.. It doesn't make much sense to use so many different waxes for different scents, what a waste of money.

Hmmm.. I'm a little confused as I never posted that I use different waxes for different scents. Unless you were referring to a comment made by someone else.

So far only one for us, GB464. We've only done container candles, although one of the sisters would like to venture into pillars, that will be all on her :)

The only reason that I have not tried other waxes is that I would like to limit my testing to a few hundred variables, just kidding, but really, I have enough to worry about with container/wick sets, then onto wax and FO, etc. So I like to keep it simple :)