Opinions on pillars

Wessex

Hey All,

I have a wholesale account asking for "prim" type palm pillars, whatever the heck that is, LOL. Here is the first try, not really my cup of tea. Also, the candles labeled "1" and "2" were made using different techniques. Which looks better to you? They are wrapped and labeled to show to the customer, not to sell (not tested yet). Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Steve

post-12326-139458477426_thumb.jpg

post-12326-13945847743_thumb.jpg

:tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:I have no experience with pillars, other than the lovelies Lorrie made me that I refuse to burn. That being said, I have to say, from a customer pov, I would pick the #2. It looks like a deliberate pattern, whereas the other looks (from my chandler view) as a situation where waxes melted together (which is fine, when it is desired effect? once again, no harm intended:tiptoe:).

If I was a man, I just would have said #2. And then I would have laughed, because I said "#2". :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hi there. Well I like #2 and as it happens I've just been pouring my small pillars exactly like that recently (instead of tilted layers) and I really like that layering effect with the spill that happens as the layers pull back.

I wouldn't call these 'prim". As far as I understand it - and correct me if I'm wrong all of those from the US who know far more than I :).....but prim stands for "primitive" ?

As in country/grubby, more sort of rustic or simplistic like? You know.....something with a bit of tea stained gingham tied round it? When I think of prim I always think of tea stained gingham :)

VERY hard to achieve with palm I reckon as palm wax with it's crystallizing tenancies always looks more 'pretty".

BUT, I shouldn't think they would object to these unless the rest of their products are totally "prim"? They look very nice to my eyes :) Depends exactly what they are after.

Edited by Tracy68

Steve, I love both techniques. They are really, really pretty. However, there's no way I think of these as prim. As a candle customer, I'd gravitate towards these in about 2 seconds, but they're not "messy" enough to be prim to my way of thinking.:tiptoe: Great job, though!

Thanks for the replies. I personally do not want to dabble in the "prim" look, figured this was as close as I am willing to get, LOL! I'm glad most people prefer number 2, the other one is more work.

Thanks,

Steve

Nice work Steve, those both look great, I personally like #2 and agree with others that I'm not really getting a prim feel but more of a tropical feel, it might be the colors. Hmmm...those would sell real nice in my neck of the woods..lol :cheesy2:

I'm thinking I am just not the prim type chandler. My latest line is the more upscale look and I do the hex/jelly/classic jars. My pillars have always been simple one color "boring" pillars. Since I work with Palm, decided I want the scent and patterning to be the selling point. I do kinda like these pillars, think I will test burn a few and then see how they sell. But as far as making a prim type for my customer...take these or nothing, LOL. Thanks all.

Steve

I have to agree that these are not so prim....but they are beautiful!

Maybe try some in deeper colors, it may make all the difference. When I think of prim I think shades of tan/browns, charcoal grey/black, cranberry, deep purples, blues & greens and MAYBE a little cream/ivory.

I'm thinking I am just not the prim type chandler. My latest line is the more upscale look and I do the hex/jelly/classic jars. My pillars have always been simple one color "boring" pillars. Since I work with Palm, decided I want the scent and patterning to be the selling point. I do kinda like these pillars, think I will test burn a few and then see how they sell. But as far as making a prim type for my customer...take these or nothing, LOL. Thanks all.

Steve

I love them both, #2 more and I think these candle make a statement about you. They are really beautiful. Start your own trend. Hope that makes sense.:laugh2:

Your pillars are beautiful. Love both techniques so I can't choose. LOL

I have to agree with the others that I would not put those in a prim category.

For prim I would do a grubby but you would have to buy the mold for that. If you want to go with a regular smooth pillar instead I have a friend that sells country prim and she rubs cinnamon on her pillars to grubby them. She also tea stains gingham style ribbons for wrapping or uses raffia, burlap, etc. for different textures.

Other techniques that would make great prim pillars are the rustic or marbled looks. You can rub the finished candle in cinnamon and wrap it with a tea stained gingham ribbon or piece of raffia or cut up burlap.

If I were going to do the rustic I would do 2 to 3 level layers going darker with each layer. Make sure your mold is chilled thoroughly before your initial pour and swirl the wax after each pour so there is no clear definitation between layers. Then finish with a spice rub and mabye a tea stained prim ribbon bow.