Scentsy & Craft Show

crazzie

Had a craft show today, it was aweful. Just lookers and no buyers! Of course the Scentsy guy was there. Previously I bought a warmer from him. He comes up to me and says hey my daughter picked up one of your tarts and they dont work in my warmer, they are too hard. I said oh really I just bought a warmer from you and I melt my tarts in them all the time and I have no problems. Then he looks at my little hot plate burner and says yeah everyone today wanted one of those melters I sent them all here. I said really, I'm not selling these and no one really ask me today for one. This is just my burner to get the place smelling good. He just walked away! Honestly, I walked over earlier by his burner and you could not smell it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to many shows and they are always there ofcourse with their warmers plugged in and wax melts in them. I was at a high school in the gym which was not a huge gym mind you and I saw the scentsy lady drop an entire package of their melts into the warmer. Now if you go off what they claim (how much space one of the pieces will scent) you'd think an entire bar would be knocking people out the door with scent. I NEVER once smelled it and she was about 4 booths away from me or so. I did smell it when I walked by her booth but it was by no means kick butt strong even that close. I only caught a faint whiff of it. They may have some strong scents dunno I never used them but you would think that the reps would be using the strongest scents they had to sell the product. Espcecially when they claim to be so strong and claim to scent huge spaces. I read somewhere I think on this board where they'd heard a rep say that it would scent an entire office building. If that were so I surely would have gotten kicked in the face with scent in a small gym. Good for you to put him in his place and call him out for bs!!

As I mentioned in anther recent posting about Scentsy....don't let them or their sales people make you mad. The people who are selling them are like sheep, regurgitating the sales pitch(es) pounded into their heads. And most of our customers will believe anything...right?

So let Scentsy's million/billion dollar marketing work for you. I made a large sign and posted it by my melts. The sign basically states that my melts will work in Scentsy warmers. My melt sales have easily tripled, if not quadrupled this year! Thanks Scentsy!!

I laugh when I hear Scentsy reps talking about how their product is superior...

First of all, they do not make their product, how do they know anything other than what they are trained? Second of all, do they even know fragrance load, melting point... anything about the product they are selling?

:rolleyes2

Personally I have not seen any snarky S reps at shows, but I suppose I will at some point. It seems that most of them set up their 2 little tables and then sit with a book and read. Their melters seem to be a big hit, but their displays are not that nice...:confused:

You would think they could set up a beautiful display because their melters really are beautiful...

You know what, Pleasureridge, you just made me think of something. In another post I mentioned how I did a show and Scentsy was there. She was maybe 15 to 20 feet at the MOST away from me. She had several warmers going and I didn't smell anything now that I think about it. I did not have a warmer set up unfortunately, but I did have a lot of aroma products and people would come by and comment on how good my table smelled. Yet she had several warmers and it surely did not fill the room as I couldn't smell it from where I was. However, I have a tart in a warmer at home and for days everytime I plug it in it fills the room. I need to rework my selling plan next craft show! Love reading the experiences and ideas here. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Jackie

http://jaxxcandles.com

Well let me tell you my experience here. Last weekend, I had my first craft show and Scenty was right across from me. She had 8 warmers plugged in

and it all had the tarts in it. I could NOT smell anything from there. I was like "huh" you'd think I'd be knocked back from the smell. Nothing, nadda.

Others who were checking out their melts and warmers, they said they can smell Christmas Tree somewhere, Well it was mine, my tarts and it's not even in a warmer!!! LOL I had tons of tarts in a big wooden bowl on my table.

Amazing how some can smell my tarts from across the isle. I sold quite a few melts that day. They didn't like Scenty. Turns out Lady only sold 4 packs of tarts and no warmers, while I sold alot of my melts. Made me Smile!!

They're not what they seem to be. All the hype about it, turns out to be joke.

now they do have cute warmers though.

Meg

See....so now just do a little promotion. And you can do it quietly. I post a sign they can read. I hear it all the time, many times over and over at each show, "Hey, look, you can use these melts with Scentsy." Then lots and lots of sales. Once again....thanks Scentsy! :cheesy2:

Gotta love Scentsy LOL We had a customer once tell us her rep told her that she could ONLY use Scentsy tarts in her Scentsy warmer. The reason why.... others would catch fire in their warmer

And thank heavens for the customers who are figuring out that scentsy is blowing smoke up their butt. I mean, really, that statement doesn't even make sense. Scentsy melters are *supposed* to work at a lower temperature than ours and their fragrance bars loaded with *more* FO than ours. So if their implication were true that ours have less FO and yet are routinely melted in our high-temp melters, what exactly would cause them to erupt in flames in scentsy melters. That's funny! :laugh2::laugh2:

I was doing a show one time were the scentsy was accross the room from me. Well I went over there to check out her tarts. Well she had 2 tart warmers going both with the same scent. She used a whole pack in both warmers and man did it stink. It stunk so bad the crafters were getting a headache from it. Well the crafters got the people who were runing the show to get her to shut them off. It was funny cause while I was standing there she asked me If mine were made by me. I told her yes and she tells me I don't like handmade tarts there not as good as scentsy's Well I turned and told her my warmer is still going what happened to yours. Needless to say I sold way more than she did. I think she only sold two packs plus she ended up the talk of the show cause her tarts stunk so bad. :yay:

Edited by Dolphin146

I was doing a show one time were the scentsy was accross the room from me. Well I went over there to check out her tarts. Well she had 2 tart warmers going both with the same scent. She used a whole pack in both warmers and man did it stink. It stunk so bad the crafters were getting a headache from it. Well the crafters got the people who were runing the show to get her to shut them off. It was funny cause while I was standing there she asked me If mine were made by me. I told her yes and she tells me I don't like handmade tarts there not as good as scentsy's Well I turned and told her my warmer is still going what happened to yours. Needless to say I sold way more than she did. I think she only sold two packs plus she ended up the talk of the show cause her tarts stunk so bad. :yay:

You know, with this gal who had her 8 warmers going. same scent, wasn't even Christmas related scent, I can't describe their scent but it was icky.

Customers were saying I smell Christmas Tree scent and lady rep said no I don't have them, then they turned and saw my booth loaded with tarts. The one they smelled was FOH Mistletoes kisses. Love that scent!! but even with 8 warmers, it didn't knock your socks off. I'd be embarrassed to run 8 warmers and not have that "in your face" scent going.

I forgot to mention that we were in a very small room for this show. So whatever she was burning really stunk. It even gave me headache. OMG that is to funny 8 warmers and you still coulden't smell the tarts. Man thats really bad for them and good for us LOL :cheesy2:

Edited by Dolphin146

There's absolutely nothing to dread so don't get too psyched out a head of time. It's not like they're some monster in the room - some of them are very nice, some not so nice but ultimately that makes them just another competitor which we all should able to deal with anyway if we want to be in business. Smile, let shoppers know you love your product, smile some more and wish everybody a happy holiday.

Have a great show!

I don't see commercial companies at my craft shows... it's probably because I do only "handcrafted" juried shows or my own boutiques/open houses or other select show that do now allow commercial buy sell.

Usually juried shows cost a bit more.. but well worth it because buyers like the unique handcrafted items AND they buy.

If you are at a handcrafted show report that one of the vendors is a commercial business and they will usually be asked to pack up and leave or at the very least , not asked to attend next year.

Good luck...

You know what, Pleasureridge, you just made me think of something. In another post I mentioned how I did a show and Scentsy was there. She was maybe 15 to 20 feet at the MOST away from me. She had several warmers going and I didn't smell anything now that I think about it. I did not have a warmer set up unfortunately, but I did have a lot of aroma products and people would come by and comment on how good my table smelled. Yet she had several warmers and it surely did not fill the room as I couldn't smell it from where I was. However, I have a tart in a warmer at home and for days everytime I plug it in it fills the room. I need to rework my selling plan next craft show! Love reading the experiences and ideas here. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Jackie

http://jaxxcandles.com

She may have had more going I only saw here dump into one burner but I really wasn't paying that much attention to her. I too have comments all the time saying how good my booth smells and I don't have anything lit or using a warmer. Just my candles, my tarts and air fresheners so that should tell people something that if you can smell our "inferior handmade" products and you can't smell the high priced hype with one or 8 burners going then what should you buy??? Things that make you go hmmmm. But as a customer if I'm gonna pay that much for some machine made stuff it better kick me in the face like Bruce Lee with scent!! :laugh2:

I don't see commercial companies at my craft shows... it's probably because I do only "handcrafted" juried shows or my own boutiques/open houses or other select show that do now allow commercial buy sell.

Usually juried shows cost a bit more.. but well worth it because buyers like the unique handcrafted items AND they buy.

If you are at a handcrafted show report that one of the vendors is a commercial business and they will usually be asked to pack up and leave or at the very least , not asked to attend next year.

Good luck...

Not all juried shows are that way. You are lucky. I have done many "juried" shows....that cost a bit more....and have seen resale items there.

yeah I've done lots of juried shows that resellers end up at. If they dont fill up the slots, they let anyone in... and sometimes there is some favoritism. Someone on the juries cousin sells scentsy, so on and so on. Its easy to say "I'll never do this show again.." because they let scentsy in.. but if the show makes you money, and you dont have many other show options in your area.. you deal with it.

I did get my booth fee refunded by a promoter once because of my anger over scentsy being at a STRICKLY promoted handmade juried show.. but thats rare.

Just had to share my scentsy experience from this past weekend's show...

A man and woman walked by my booth, the man stopping to smell the fragrances commenting "nice", "that's good", etc. When right in front of me his wife/girlfriend says hatefully to him loud enough for me to hear "we don't like these, i sell scentsy and mine are better..."

Him and I look at each other, me with a look like "ok, then" and him shaking his head no and whispering to me he likes my scents better.

LOL - I just snickered to myself and thought poor guy. Some people amaze me.