Juice bottle mold

Donita

Happy New Year everyone!......I haven't posted here for a long long time. Haven't been working on candles. I almost threw out an Oceanspray juice bottle yesterday but instead decided it looked like a cool candle mold. So....cut it in half and proceeded to make a red mottled candle on the first day of the new year. It is scented Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. I had to cut the mold away this morning. So it is a one time use. I wouldn't do this for selling....but for myself or a gift it was fun. I will light it tonight. So many of the "old" members here are gone.....but for those of you who don't know me......I started making candles about 16 years ago. My first mold was a salt box out of the kitchen garbage. I love to find unusual things to use for molds.....just because (smile). Girls just want to have fun.

post-248-139458461013_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458461016_thumb.jpg

This is just something I rigged up. You can buy wick holders. I used a lampshade ring. Put a piece of metal tape in the center then poked a hole with a wick holder metal rod. Center the holder on top of the mold....put the rod into the center of the holder and it sits at the bottom in a hole that I poked with a hot pointed metal skewer. I used putty on the bottom with tape so the wax doesn't leak out. Then when you unmold the candle you slide in a piece of wick that has been dipped wax and left to cool and harden. I cut some wicks extra long and save them for vestas. I use those to light candles. Easier than a match or lighter. I don't waste anything. (smile)

...and thank you Billie for the nice compliment!

Happy New Year to you, Donita! What a rich red color you got there! I have trouble throwing out any containers without eyeing them for "mold potential." That's a nice one!! I have been oogling the disposible water bottles from our local Winn Dixie - they have a pleasing ribbed design and I keep seeing candles like that on a dinner table...:laugh2:

Best wishes to you in the coming year! Hope you get to make lotsa new stuff this year as your projects are always so pleasing to me!! :)

Thanks for looking everyone....and the nice compliments. I have to admit that I got inspired because of Margaritamama posting her candles. Being a caregiver 24/7 just took it out of me. But....this is a new year and I am going to try to keep up on this forum and try to make some pretty candles. I can always keep them for gifts for the coming year. I don't have time to be in business anymore. But playing with wax is sooooooooooooo much fun.

Donita

Happy 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well hi there Donita! Now if we only had Garf back... :shocked2:

Nice candle there girl. Im putting my thinking cap on this year because the regular scented stuff is selling very slow. I'm going to have to cut some wax and get creative to continue this candle making business.

Bruce

Edited by BruceCarvesWax
duh

Just checked in here. Thanks again everyone for your kind words. I just don't have much time for myself these days......however.....there are wax pots, flowers, paper making pulp all lined up in the kitchen.....just waiting for me to find a moment. I am thinking about doing some flower candles. All of this snow is depressing me. If I could play in it....then not so bad....but it is just a hardship. I want flowers and my garden.......I made a bunch of half and half beeswax orbs and they look naked. After I finish my valentines I am going to put some pretty flowers on them. Then just give them away for gifts.

I just looked out the window and noticed footprints in the snow. On a second look....hmmmmmm looks like bear to me.

Donita