How can we compete????

HeavenScentU

With Walmart. They are now selling paraffin melts. They are $2.44 ea.

I don't know if the shelf was fully stocked but there are alot of gaps. I just noticed them today. I am not sure how long they had been there but while I was standing there sniffing. Everyone that walked by stopped and looked and started grabbing them... Huh......I don't use paraffin for the clamshells but now everyone that sees them is going to compare my soy to them....Not sure what to do other than not raise my prices this year.....

Believe it or not, I would actually raise my prices. People buy expensive things for a reason. They feel that if they buy the expensive thing over the cheap thing it will be better quality (that's not always the case, but you should use that knowledge to your advantage). If your melts are quality melts, I would price them accordingly.

The most important question when it comes to the Walmart brand paraffin melt is, how good are they (if they're like most things Walmart, then not so good)?

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if for some reason people start comparing your soy to Walmart's paraffin, here's what you do...

If you have a website, I would buy one of the cheap Walmart brand melts, whip out your video camera and expose the terrible quality of the cheap melt.

After you show the poor quality of the cheap melt, walk them through the most important steps of how you create your melts on video. Then explain to them why making them by hand and with care makes for a better quality melt. This gives people that come to your website a super easy decision to make of which they should buy.

One thing you may or may not have thought about is Walmart has no ability whatsoever to fill custom orders. When you walk into the store, what you see is what you get...period. You should definitely point that out in your video.

When it comes to repeat business, there's one thing that I always do that gives my customers a reason to come back. I request and keep the addresses of my customers on file so that I can send them something free along with a card/note every now and again just to say thanks for their business and to keep me fresh in their minds (people love, good, unexpected free stuff).

Every time I do that, I'm flooded with sales. The best part is, I can do that as many times as I want.

Hope this helps. :smiley2:

Edited by Slowburn

I wouldn't worry about it. People are still buying my soaps even though my soaps are several time the cost of the soaps in the store. It's about quality to most people:). Don't compare yourself to walmart. People that still buy candles and such at walmart are just not converts yet:laugh2:. I should know, the first handmade candle I bought turned my life around and I never bought another store bought candle again. Same went for the B&B stuff:).

I am not worried about Walmart it is not known for its quality and everything is made in China...I am more concerned with people selling their goods on e-Bay for 99 cents...with the cost of making candles and tarts I don't see how these people can make a profit...

I do not worry about walmart either. It not worth a bit of your time.

People that come to me are looking for great product at a reasonable price. Those are the ones I want to please not people that are just looking for a good deal that turn out to be not such a good deal.

How can we compete? Easy, we DON'T!!!

Having bought my share of Wal-Mart (and elsewhere) candles because they smelled oh-so-good in the jar only to be majorly disappointed when I brought it home, lit it and could barely smell it I know the frustration of spending hard earned money on something that doesn't deliver what it promises.

One day my mom brought home a handmade candle in Pomegranate, lit it and it scented the entire house. I have been a junky ever since even though we are just now getting into making our own.

If their melts are the same quality as their candles you don't have a thing to worry about. If your customers are true candle lovers then chances are good they have already had many disappointing moments such as the one I described above and know that handmade is the way to go.

Also, you get what you pay for. If people want to buy CHEAP Wal-Mart melts then they are going to get CHEAP Wal-Mart melts. OTOH, if people want quality melts that will scent their home beautifully in a variety of scents, then they are going to ask around and find one of us. They will pay more but the results will be worth it.

HTH,

Kellye

Edited by Kellye
Added signature

You guys are so right.....I noticed the melts that Walmart is selling has bubbles galore and they smell ok. I think they are made in Salt Lake City, UT which was surprising. I am sure I will get alot of people asking why my prices are higher. I just have to convince people to try and compare mine to theirs....Thanks, Kathy

I am not worried about Wal Mart.One person I know who buys Wal Mart is a jealous friend. Always talks about them so I got a BIG candle to try. The scent wasn't bad BUT it burned about 10 hours.My candles that size will burn almost 80 hours. I was seeing the candle disappear before my eyes.I have purchased a few tarts, the scent wasn't bad but I have to remelt them to get them out of the jar or else spoon them out to put another tart on my warmer. I use pillar wax for tarts so I know they will just drop out without any leftover wax or mess.

At my shows the past 2 weekends I was asked "How long do your candles burn"??? I said" the 8 ounce will last about 40 hours".They liked that. Maybe they purchased Wal Mart Candles??? Another said they got soy candles from a person.They smelled awesome when you opened the jar BUT when they got home the candle smelled good for maybe an hour but after that the candle had no scent. So I cannot count how many times I was asked how long do your candles burn.One lady said "I still have a few of your candles from last year".She said they last forever. I just hope other potential customers were around.

People say over and over they purchased last year but the new customers I hope come back. I need to start a mailing list like some of you have talked about.

LynnS