Another ? about tart wax

WaxFlower

I've been reading through various posts on soy and soy blend tart waxes and see that the ecosoya pb and Vickey's KY parasoy tart wax are popular for tarts. For those of you that have had experience with these waxes, do either of them develope a dry powdery residue over time? I've been using 415 for tarts and don't like the characteristic of dryness that developes over time. I would like to find a soy or a parasoy blend tart wax that has more of a creamy appearance without the dryness. Any suggestions?

TIA

ETA: Would mixing a 50/50 blend of igi4794 with eco pb make sense?

Hi tootie - Thanks for your reply.

No white stuff...Yeahooo!!! :yay:

I've been eye ballin Vickey's tart wax for a while now. She has some great oils too. I have a list of oils that I will need to re order from her so I will order some of her tart wax too...can't wait to try it!

Thanks!

Her tart wax seems expensive though. How do you price them to make any money??

Good question CandleMama. At this time, I strictly make tarts as a hobby. However, when I do decide to start selling, I have estimated that I would be in a decent profit percentage margin if I sold a 1 oz tart for $1.

For tarts I love using pillar palm wax. You get a beautiful crystal pattern and the throw is better than other soy or parrafin waxes I've tried.

The palm wax also pops right out of the tart burner bowl in one solid piece so the bowl is clean. I've never seen this happen with other waxes.

For tarts I love using pillar palm wax. You get a beautiful crystal pattern and the throw is better than other soy or parrafin waxes I've tried.

The palm wax also pops right out of the tart burner bowl in one solid piece so the bowl is clean. I've never seen this happen with other waxes.

Hi Candybee -

Thanks for enlightening me regarding palm pillar wax...I kind of forgot about that wax. Are you using starburst or feather for your tarts? Is there much difference between the two? I would be willing to switch to the pillar palm wax to get away from the frosting issues that you get with soy (as long as the C/H throw is good). How does clean up with palm compare to soy? Sorry for all the questions...please bare with me...I'm a palm virgin...lol...:embarasse

Any suggestions or tips with using this palm wax for tarts would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Her tart wax seems expensive though. How do you price them to make any money??

If you are gonna do alot of tarts the best way to get the best price is order 200lbs and get the UPS discount. I do sell mine for 1.25 per OZ when I sell them.

Waxflower,

I think the "exploding" is mostly with palm tins or containers melted on a warmer. Because the wax is so hard that when you melt from below the hot wax builds up inside and then...well has to come out. I know people do make tarts out of palm and don't seem to have that problem. I don't use palm, but have been researching it too. Good luck.

Jamie

I've made thousands of tarts using crystal palm pillar wax from C&S. I also know another local crafter that makes hers using Candlewic's feather palm. Both work great.

I have not experienced any exploding or brittle tarts using palm wax. It simply makes beautiful, fragrant, easy to clean up tarts.

Ky para soy tart & votive wax makes the creamiest tarts and votives. I have tried other tart waxes and found some leave a powdery residue, so I stick with KY's. Purchase 200 lbs and you can get a better deal.:rolleyes2

When I do clam shells, I use feather. When I do tarts, I use glass glow. With that said, I use silicone molds, and I have never had any problems getting them out. From what I understand, if you use the metal tart molds, glass glow does not do well in these and you may have a hard time getting them out. You may try a search, I remember there was some discussion about glass glow and metal tart molds. I love my silicone molds because I can make a lot at one time. The tarts will not be as large as the metal molds, you just have to find what is right for you! Good Luck and have fun!

Debbie :)

Does anyone know if KY's tart wax has more paraffin than soy or vise versa?...Not that it matters...just curious. Vickey's tart wax sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

ETA: Thanks for all the replies, you all have been very helpful...thanks!

Does anyone know if KY's tart wax has more paraffin than soy or vise versa?...Not that it matters...just curious. Vickey's tart wax sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

ETA: Thanks for all the replies, you all have been very helpful...thanks!

I would say more soy than parafin -- I also use this but am having a bit of trouble getting them to pop out of my tin molds unless I let them sit overnight -- and I am very impatient so I might have to mix more par. wax in with the next batch.

But the scent throw is very good.

Waxflower..according to Ky's message board Vickey said the para-soy tart/votive blend is a little more than 30% paraffin. I just received my 10# bag of this today and poured a few tarts with it. Not sure how they will be yet. After cooling they all had a smooth dimple-like surface on them. Did some foil liners and clamshells. I posted on the KY message board and Vickey said they sometimes do this and maybe adding a bit more soy would alleviate this. I might try this next time. They didn't look really bad but just not smooth. I'm used to dealing with an only soy product and getting nice creamy tops. Never worked with a para-soy before. HTH

Karen

Hi Karen - I've done 415 tarts, poured into liners. I love the throw both hot and cold that I get with this wax. However, I never could get used to the powdery residue characteristic that comes with the pure soy territory. I'm sure I'll be more tolerant of the dimples over dryness.

WickedWick and Barbara - Thanks for the tip. When I get my tart wax I'll try adding some soy to it to help with the dimples. Sounds like adding 20% more soy will make it an approximate 80 soy/20 paraffin ratio.