Do you wear safety goggles for soaping?

supergirlll

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look like something from outerspace when I soap....goggles and all!!:shocked2: It is easy to get comfortable....then a disaster happens...like the time my glass pitcher broke with the lye water in it...luckly it was in the sink!!:shocked2: So better safe than sorry!!

I don't wear goggles, always try to be careful with my lye mixture.

And when you go blind you can say "But I was trying to be careful"...

No seriously, they dont' call them "accidents" because we WANTED it to happen or did it on purpose...

I value my eyesight too much to hope that something doesn't go wrong. It is a MUST for me or else I just won't do it.

I also look like a space creature LOL I always wear my googles and rubber gloves. Once I was wearing flip flops while soaping and had a tiny granule of lye fall on my foot and took a min to realize it had and it started to burn a little hole on the top of my foot so need to say I won't make that mistake again and now I always have on my tennis shoes too. I am very comfortable working with lye but still make sure I take precautions when using it.

Sandy

Let me tell you - I had picked up my lye canister (with gloves) and the plastic label that was on it slipped off and the canister hit the floor. I had on flip flops, too. I kicked them off real fast and ran to the bathtub to shower off my feet. Fortunately, no burns, but quite a few stings. My kitchen floor has never been cleaner. Used vinegar to clean up everything after sweeping. Had to wash my broom and dustpan, too. Some got on the lower cabinet doors and now I have one door that it took off the varnish. You cannot be too safe with this stuff. That was awful.

As someone who has gotten raw soap splashed in the eye and then spent several hours in the ER getting my eye flushed and not being able to see for a week and frying my eyelashes...yes, I wear goggles. From the time I need to pick up the lye canister to pouring the soap into the mold. And proper shoes and jeans and long sleeves. Which makes soaping in summer a ton of fun.

TexasBrat, you know better...

Anyway, yes, I do wear my goggles. I put them on before I reach up to the top shelf to grab my lye. Then I keep them on until I carry the lye water over to an unused corner of my shop and set it down on the concrete to cool. Only after I remove my gloves (that my have some lye on them) do I remove the goggles.

Then I weigh everything, melt the oils etc. When it's time to go pick up the lye, the goggle so on once again.

I don't take them off until I have the soap in the mold and all tucked in for the night.

Speaking of safety - Has anyone ever watched the soap making videos on YouTube? There is one lady in particular on there that is really nice and kinda funny to watch. But she is also kinda scary. She makes and sells her soaps. She is making "How To" videos and she is a wreck. Everything is stacked up and messed up. There is so much clutter around her that she loses things when she is showing what she is doing. Now normally I would not criticize anyones techniques, but she is showing other people like me to make soap with lye. You have to also watch the Hot Process video. Pots are being used that are still dirty because "it is just soap" and you are putting the same thing back in the pot. If I had not read other like this forum, I would have probably have had to make a hospital trip by now.

@Misty,

So I don't need my eyes because I don't protect them??? :lipsrseal

Is that what you mean?

Only you know why you don't protect your eyes. By not wearing goggles you are running a risk. Of course, everything we do in life is a risk of some sort. If you are willing to risk loosing your eyesight for some soapmaking, then you are free to do so.

I am a professional chemist, and I use chemicals that are much more dangerous than sodium hydroxide every single day. I think it is crazy not to protect your eyes. At work, I don't have the option. I will be fired if I don't follow the safety protocols. But that is not why I protect my eyes. Eyesight is a precious gift, and should be treated as such.

Well then, I must be crazy. I have been soaping consistently for my business for 20 years and I've never worn glasses during soaping nor do I wear gloves and wear short sleeves if I'm having a hot flash. Lye is something to be respected, sure and I don't go splashing it around irresponsibly like some crazy lady, I am careful. I have had bits of soap splash while I stickblended, but am always amazed at how quickly my eyes close even before the teeny bit even makes it halfway to my face. Our bodies are wonders!

I have a galfriend who has been soaping as long as I have and her batches are 400 pounds each. She doesn't wear glasses, either.

What everyone does is their choice. Yep. If someone wants to wear all that gear, I say more power to them!

I think we all now know that you've been soaping for over 20 years and we can appreciate your experience. But to advocate soaping without safety equipment on is just plain irresponsible. Do you teach your students to do the same? Do you provide them with safety gear? I'd say you've gotten lucky for 20 years.

I too teach soaping classes (although I've not been soaping as long as you). I not only wear my soaping gear (goggles and gloves), but I provide this for my students. I also require them to wear long sleeves and pants to class. I can only imagine the lawsuit I may have to face and defend if I taught a class where I not only did not wear soaping gear thereby setting an example, but I did not provide it and someone goes out and makes soap on their own and get a serious lye burn all because they did not think it was necessary based on my actions during my soaping class.

BTW - none of us "go splashing it around irresponsibly like some crazy lady." Accidents happen. That's why are called accidents.

I don't write that I've been making soap for 20 years to brag or boast. It's to say that I have been doing this for 20 years and have that much experience. No other reason. I teach and talk on forums from this experience. I don't care if someone has 1 day or 100 years experience. If I can learn from that person, I do. I love to learn.

I didn't say that anyone splashes around irresponsibly. I said I don't splash around. I didn't say anyone on this forum does or that anyone said they do.

I said I don't wear glasses/goggles. I didn't say no one should wear goggles. I said it was a choice for everyone to make themselves.

When I teach people how to make soap, safety issues are discussed. I'm in no way irresponsible. You have never taken a class from me, so please don't think you know what I do or say in my classes.

Lye is to be respected. I respect lye. Plain and simple.

I've been lucky for 20 years? No, I've been careful for 20 years. Luck doesn't last 20 years and I don't believe in luck, anyway.

Please don't read more into what I wrote. I write what I mean with no hidden agendas or meanings.

Lastly, the question was asked Do you wear safety goggles for soaping?

I saw nothing on that question that ended with....so we can blast those who don't.

If you teach, then IMO you should NEVER advocate not wearing glasses even if you don't. Ecven when you add something to the effect that its everyone's choice. When you preface a statement with "I've been teaching/soaping for 20 years..." people listen to you and they might not wear safety equipment because you don't and well, she's been doing this for 20 years so she should know. I think that is irresponsible on your part.

Further, I ASKED you if you use safety equipment and provide it for your students. I never said you didn't. But you never answered that question and only said safety issues are discussed when you teach so I assume now that you don't.