Do you wear safety goggles for soaping?

supergirlll

Wow. I have read other posts from you and you share quite lot of valuable information and seem like a good person. I can only assume you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So I'm in a bad mood and I'm not a good person now because I think you are acting irresponsible and said so? O.K. I just called you on something and apparently you don't agree nor do you like what I said. People do disagree from time to time without being in a bad mood. Disagreeing is also not indicative that a person is not a good person. My responses have not been made to be disrespectful. I'm getting here that you aren't used to being questioned.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I have read other posts from you and you share quite lot of valuable information and seem like a good person. I can only assume you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I don't believe she did wake up wrong or is grumpy - I think she is truly concerned that you might not be guiding and teaching your students ALL of the safety precautions that should be taught (if not followed) that come with this sort of buisness/hobby, that's all.

I find it amazing that someone could be so complacent with their eyesight, but as you said, it's your choice.

I had a vase from a shelf above me fall into my soap pot (there was an explosion down the street and it shook the house) there is NO WAY I would have been able to close my eyes in time or not had some get in my eyes even if I had. I was so incredibly lucky that day as it was the first day I wore my full face shield. I cannot imagine the burns I would have had on my entire face.

THAT truly was an accident. Who anticipates while soaping that an explosion is going to happen down the street? Before that, yes, I always wear my goggles, and now most of the time I will wear my face shield but not always, sometimes it is just the goggles...

I never said you were a bad person Meredith. Please read what I said. I said I think you are a good person who posts valuable information. I don't know what's going on in your life, or why you are twisting everything I'm saying and I'm sorry if I pissed you off in any way. I think you're getting worked up over something that doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of life.

I'm sorry if my answer offends anyone. I was just answering a question asked.

Now, I'm off to meet with a bunch of soapers to have a great time together swapping soap stories.

I will not respond to this thread anymore.

I had a vase from a shelf above me fall into my soap pot (there was an explosion down the street and it shook the house) there is NO WAY I would have been able to close my eyes in time or not had some get in my eyes even if I had. I was so incredibly lucky that day as it was the first day I wore my full face shield. I cannot imagine the burns I would have had on my entire face.

THAT truly was an accident. Who anticipates while soaping that an explosion is going to happen down the street?

Wow, strange accident, i am shocked!

I don't believe she did wake up wrong or is grumpy - I think she is truly concerned that you might not be guiding and teaching your students ALL of the safety precautions that should be taught (if not followed) that come with this sort of buisness/hobby, that's all.

I find it amazing that someone could be so complacent with their eyesight, but as you said, it's your choice.

THAT truly was an accident. Who anticipates while soaping that an explosion is going to happen down the street? Before that, yes, I always wear my goggles, and now most of the time I will wear my face shield but not always, sometimes it is just the goggles...

Thank you JC. I don't think Wildcrafter gets what I am saying so we have to turn this into "Meridith is in a bad mood, Meridith must have stuff going on in her life." etc., instead of seeing this for what it is. A discussion with no intent to flame, start trouble or be disrpectful. Just understand and be understood. The point completely escaped her. And I guess I was right, she's not use to being questioned.

When you post a response in a thread, you can expect responses. Not all responses will you necessarily like or agree with. That is life on a forum. I think this thread has actually been a very good thread and has been very enlightening.

And again, I'm not in a bad mood. I get to meet PA from the board so this will be a great day and one I've been looking forward to. :yay:

Wow, strange accident, i am shocked!

Somewhere out there, is a thread that talks about lye and the importance of lye safety. It shows pictures of a little kid that got seriously burned and is a great example of how dangerous lye can be. It just takes one accident. No one ever plans on an accident. My father was a professional racer and was killed in an automobile accident - not while racing too. He knew what he was doing. He was a professional and he was highly skilled. But, one day, he had a fatal car wreck while driving on regular roads and I had to grow up without him, eventually being raised by a step dad. Accidents happen. Why not be safe and try to anticipate them before they happen. And if they never do happen, well what are you really out because you were prepared?

So, for those of you who don't wear eye protection, what is your rationale behind the decision? I just can't think of any good argument for not protecting your eyes.

"I never have" and "I am careful" are not good arguments, IMO.

I've splashed small amounts of lye on my arms before, and it was no big deal. It sort of stung a bit, but I can't say that it hurt. And it didn't leave any red spots. BUT, our eyes are much more sensitive. I am not willing to risk any damage to them for soapmaking. Nor do I want to spend an evening in the ER.

I wear goggles, apron, rubber gloves, and a face mask that fits over my nose and mouth. The face mask I use when mixing the lye in conjunction with everything else. I don't wear the mask over my nose and mouth when mixing my soap. One time a little tiny splash caused by my stick blender caused a tiny bit of my soap mixture to land on my cheek. I washed it immediately but it still hurt. I can't imagine if that had landed in my eye. I am very careful, but that was an accident and I was surprised it happened. I am even MORE careful now and still wear all the gear. I learned from the best, here and from published authors, so I am glad I listened! My motto is "Better safe than sorry!". :smiley2:

Hi guys,

I don't wear gloves....a few times I've had some on my skin but I know about it soon enough, and since I work within 3 feet of a sink and 12 feet of a shower, I just wash my hands.

Now...as for the eyes. I used goggles initially and then became lazy. One day, a small portion of lye flicked up inot my eye when I was stirring it...AND I was stirring gently.

I bolted to the shower, and my poor eyes were washed and washed...it feels TERRIBLE washing out my eyes, and even now I remember whilst I was in the shower (shoes and all).....how *&%^$#$^ stupid I was not to have had my goggles on.

I NEVER not use goggles now. I even went so far as to buy a really cool looking pair of safety goggles that are comfy and just claimed on my tax.

The problem with my old goggles is that they were thick, scratched and really uncomfortable.

PLEASE wear eye protection. The membranes in our eyes is so thin......

Cheers,

Hells

Well I don't like to wear any kind of eye protection. (fogging up, it looks like an alien)

and the seconde one;

I'm careful. (you don't want to hear that)

I wear safety glasses because of that. My face is exposed since it is just like I am wearing a pair of glasses but my eyes are covered and like was mentioned, your eyes are much more sensitive. DH wears his regular sunglasses when he soaps. Or you can get the shield type that protects your whole face. I don't like goggles.

I wear goggles, apron, rubber gloves, and a face mask that fits over my nose and mouth. The face mask I use when mixing the lye in conjunction with everything else. I don't wear the mask over my nose and mouth when mixing my soap. One time a little tiny splash caused by my stick blender caused a tiny bit of my soap mixture to land on my cheek. I washed it immediately but it still hurt. I can't imagine if that had landed in my eye. I am very careful, but that was an accident and I was surprised it happened. I am even MORE careful now and still wear all the gear. I learned from the best, here and from published authors, so I am glad I listened! My motto is "Better safe than sorry!". :smiley2:

I do the same, but admit, I've gotten lazy with the face mask since I have the type that are for the fumes and look like a surgical mask. But I always wear rubber gloves, an apron and eye protection. I have all of this for class participants too.

I'm new to this forum, I am a newbie to soapmaking, and - sorry, I really do not understand what this discussion is all about. :angry2:

Didn't we all read about safety instructions, about how to... I simply do not understand why someone doesn't protect him- or herself knowing what stuff one is working with. :mad:

Even my teenage daughters wouldn't be that thoughtless and all. Sorry, but I don't have much compassion with people who should know better. At least you are reading this forum, so you should know better.

I am very fond of dogs but already have 5 so getting a trained guide dog is not the overwhelming goal for me as it may be for others. And there is the whole horrible pain and scarring and lots of surgery that just puts a big damper on the lye splashing the corneas challenge. So yes I wear goggles.

Think of it this way a less than thirty dollar investment and the two minutes it takes to put on the goggles could save your eyes. I say that is a win win trade.

For those of you who do not wear goggles and you carry insurance for your soaping activity I think if your insurance company finds out you are not following standard safety procedures for working with sodium or potassium hydroxide they will cancel your policy. They want to avoid claims.

Well I've seen three "eye accident stories" in this topic (Tall Blonde, Jcandleattic and hellen), this scared me a little!

I will get some safety goggles as soon as possible... :embarasse

Trust me, you're better off wearing some type of eye protection. I was being careful and somehow the raw soap splashed up into my eye. I rinsed and rinsed and my husband ended up taking me to the ER. I had to lay there for a few hours with a cup on my eye and solution being poured onto it. For a week (at least) I couldn't see out of that eye, had to go to an eye doctor to make sure I didn't do any permanent damage. I wear gloves and long sleeves, because I somehow always manage to get lye on me and the skin on my arms is more sensitive than anywhere else (but that's another story). Anyway, you can be incredibly careful and still have an accident. More likely, if you can soap without splashing on yourself you've been lucky. So far.

OMG that story had me in tears the whole time. I really hope that little boy is ok now, does anyone know how he is doing now? I just couldnt imagine this happening, I would be a wreck.

When my nephew was just a little over a year old my sister spilled boiling water down his back, she was making tea and turned around and didnt notice he was there and tripped on him and spilled it. It was crazy, and I will never forget that day. The worst part was when they got to the hospital the Dr actual made a comment that she did it on purpose. I thought her husband was going to hit him, and my mom gave him a few words. It was horrid and my sister blamed herself and thought he would have scars and that he would hate her when he grew up. But he is 11 now and no signs of it.

Well sorry for the little story, my heart goes out to that mom and I really hope he is doing great.