Do you wear safety goggles for soaping?

supergirlll

I don't wear them. Why, who knows, I just don't. But I certainly do not need the lectures going on here about the dangers and the implications that those of us who don't wear them are bad people (notice I said implications because it is being implied but not outright stated). I know the dangers and I still choose to go the way that I do. Nothing anyone says here could steer me into a different direction unless it is a direction I choose to go in :)

Angi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wear them. Why, who knows, I just don't. But I certainly do not need the lectures going on here about the dangers and the implications that those of us who don't wear them are bad people (notice I said implications because it is being implied but not outright stated). I know the dangers and I still choose to go the way that I do. Nothing anyone says here could steer me into a different direction unless it is a direction I choose to go in :)

Angi

I am not understanding the drama in this post. Please explain. I'm not seeing the "lecture" directed personally at you.

Did I miss something in this thread and what lye really is?

If you choose to not soap with eye protection, yes, that is your choice, but I think it is an irresponsible choice. Good people, and good soapers can make this choice so it is not indicative that you are a bad person. Further, my point was that it should not be advocated at all, especially since this is a teaching board. When someone teaches soaping, I also think it is their responsibility to provide and use all safety gear for the class participants.

I wear regular glasses with goggles over them, absolutely. It is super scary, some of the stories (and just letting imagination run wild)!! I've been pretty fortunate, but back when I first started making soap, I was coming up the stairs and almost tripped (I have a tendency to trip up stairs). After I caught my footing, I stood still for a bit, just breathing and centering myself - it could have been a bad fall; I was fortunate.

If I have my contacts in goggles are a must! The only time I havent worn my goggles is if I am soaping in the summer and it is humid and I have my glasses on....seems if I put the goggles on over them they fog up and I cant see what the hell I am doin!

Always wear some sort of eye protection!

The ones I cringe at are the gloveless soapers...lol

Of course. I am not risking my sight due to a batch of soap. I love making soap but I love my ability of sight much more. Anyone who doesn't well that's on them. I guess I have a better appreciation for the eye since I understand it's physiology. I refuse to wear gloves though but that is my choice and I understand the implications of not doing so because it's hard to work with them. I do use them to unmold to avoid getting fingerprints on the soap.

Guest Ox_B_love

So in soap making you have to wear goggles or is it just with lye because im new at the soap making and im not trying to go blind. ill buy a scooba diving mask before i lose my eyesight. This is the first im hearing of this so maybe im not going to touch my soap base until i hear back from this post. :D

So in soap making you have to wear goggles or is it just with lye because im new at the soap making and im not trying to go blind. ill buy a scooba diving mask before i lose my eyesight. This is the first im hearing of this so maybe im not going to touch my soap base until i hear back from this post. :D

YES ! You must wear goggles (eye protection ) if you want to protect yourself from a possible lye splash. :(

I think that the last 7 pages have given some great examples of the many types of accidents that can happen!

Regards.....

Carol

I think she is asking is it ok to not wear them if you are making M&P soap. She said soap base so I would assume she is not mixing lye.

I didn't see that she said "base".:embarasse I guess for M&P you really don't need goggles unless you might splash hot soap mix in your eyes.

Regards

Carol

Guest Ox_B_love

hahah okay you scared me there for a minute. So its lye that you mainly have to protect your eyes from when making soap?? I have been reading recipes on soap but i always start with the base of everything first and then i work my way up. So thanks for letting me know that. Just needed to know i was safe not wearing goggles with my base.:bliss: