Interesting question

The only thing I would do different would be to learn the business part sooner. Like taxes, how to track inventory, keeping the business records more coherent, stuff like that.

As for the actual candlemaking, nothing. I've made lots of mistakes, but wouldn't have learned what is good without seeing what's bad too.

Now... what would the SMART thing to do have been? Less FO's until they're all tested. Would I really do that? Nope! Every box of new scents is like Christmas morning and just too much fun to pass up :grin2:

I agree with most of you, not buying so darn many FO`s. Definitely a mistake, having too many scents. Also keeping my notes more organized. I have everything written down, but sometimes it is not in the right place, LOL!!:confused:

Other than that, I wish I would have joined this board earlier, a lot more info and a lot more fun than others.

Karen M.

The only thing I would do different would be to learn the business part sooner. Like taxes, how to track inventory, keeping the business records more coherent, stuff like that.

As for the actual candlemaking, nothing. I've made lots of mistakes, but wouldn't have learned what is good without seeing what's bad too.

Now... what would the SMART thing to do have been? Less FO's until they're all tested. Would I really do that? Nope! Every box of new scents is like Christmas morning and just too much fun to pass up :grin2:

Ditto for me on what SatinDucky said.

Definitely taking better notes. I will be trying to organize my messy thoughts that are in my notebook now into more understandable notes.

Learn more of the business aspect, as far as use tax, inventory (will be getting soap maker soon to help with that), etc.

Perfect one thing before moving onto another.

I am sure there are more, but it is late and i can't think!

Steph

I don' think I would change anything that I started out doing in the beginning as it has led to my "candle" success today. BUT, I have to stop wanting to try to make everything! Votives, electric candles, votives, pillars, tarts and the like. I just don't have the time and now I have tons of "stuff" I don' use. Oh, yea, and the FO thing too! Still doing THAT to this day! LOL That won't stop, I know that for fact!

Interesting question.

So much of it was a learning process that it would be hard to change anything. Getting obsessed with scents is part of the fun.

Looking back, though, I think one of the things that I changed and would advise to others, is to streamline and not do too much too fast. If at all!! If you can make one good thing, stick with it and do your one good thing well. Nothing wrong with that.

Not wasting so much money on constantly ordering so many different FO's. The shipping cost alone for all of that was a major waste. I would also stick to testing one size container until I got the wicking down. In the begining I purchased several different styles and sizes and tried testing all of them at once. I would also try and get most of my supplies from one or two suppliers to keep the cost of shipping down. Last, I would not try to be all things to all people. Many times I've had a request for one certain FO. I would order it, which would often mean ordering just that one FO from one supplier.(There's that shipping cost again). Test, test, test. Only to have that one single customer purchase that one candle.

For me it would be several things, like most everyone else...I've got way too many FO's as well, and a lot of them aren't being used at all. I've also got far too much equipment, WAY too many spools of raw wicking, several different kinds of wax that I will probably never use again but can't seem to bring myself to throw out or sell in the classifieds, and far too many pillar molds. I think I went over board on just about everything related to candles. I used to sell, but the market is so saturated with inexpensive candles that I just cannot produce them cheaper than the big retailers can sell them, so now I just make them for myself, family and friends. I am still very much into tart making and almost always have one burning in my house. I still love the craft but have slowed down significantly from producing as much as I used to.