Importance of testing

This shows how important testing is, even for wickless candles. The jars are nice looking, but I suspected the glass may possibly be too thin. I put the warmer in the sink with the plug down for testing. Good thing!

wicklessTest.jpg

This was a hurricane shell test. 1343 with gloss poly and stearic added to raise the MP and make it harder. Obviously not hard enough! It's a 4" shell with just a tealight inside. Will try again with a 5", but I'm not holding my breath....lol

HurrTest.jpg

Ducky is that jar a 10 oz apothecary jar ? i was wanting some of them for wickless but like you thought they were thin. yet have seen them on a lot of candle sites that sell wickless candles. glad my mold is 6 " for my cane, if i ever get time to make one. good test and thanks for posting results.

I'm glad you posted your pictures. Going to show them to my family. They are very supportive of what I do, but just can't understand why I have to test, test, test. I think your pictures will drive home the point. Thanks.

Another thing to consider is the warmer that you put your candle on. Some people use coffee warmers as candle warmers, which it states to only use with mugs. Another thing is the inexpensive warmers you find in discount stores are only made to hold a certain weight and dimension of candle. From your picture it looks like the candle extends over the warming area.

I sell decorative candle warmers in my store, and I can't tell you how many I've sold to customers who complained that the $4.99 warmers they bought at Walmart or Michaels don't work.

This one is a candle warmer, it says so beside the on/off switch. I got a dozen in the co-op a couple months back. Now quality, dunno. This is the first one I've ever used. Until today it had a iron skillet on it with left over chucnk of wax.

It shattered like a spiderweb, all across the bottom and a couple cracks going up the sides some, then circling around. Now that it's completely cool, I took a couple more pics...

jarBottom.jpg

warmer.jpg

Hi Satin,,I was wondering (as I have never used these) if the jar was possibly cold and as it heated the glass it broke??? My mother-in-law bought one of these and I have told her not to use it till I found out more about them. My 26oz apothocaries are seamed (from candlewic) and I am now hesitant to try this jar on them.:undecided She does not like the fact of burning with the wick and I have made Scraggly bears for her but she wanted something different. By the way,,I am VERY happy that you were not hurt.!!!!!

Also has anyone tried these warmers with the wide mouth Kerr or mason jar as they are a wee bit thicker?? TIA

Breanna, I wouldn't use the 26oz. apoths on there even if they are thick enough, since it just takes those big dudes sooo long to melt that it kinda defeats the purpose KWIM? ;)

Now I HAVE used my big apoths on my candle warmer (from Walmart) that is known to get VERY hot, even have a pot holder underneath it so it doesn't singe my hutch, but I've never had a problem with them **knock on wood** but like I said, it just takes them so very long to melt and release the scent that I've now decided to use only tins on them, since they heat up really quick, even the big 16 ouncers. ;)

Thanks for posting those pics Cheryl!!

Breanna, I wouldn't use the 26oz. apoths on there even if they are thick enough, since it just takes those big dudes sooo long to melt that it kinda defeats the purpose KWIM? ;)

Now I HAVE used my big apoths on my candle warmer (from Walmart) that is known to get VERY hot, even have a pot holder underneath it so it doesn't singe my hutch, but I've never had a problem with them **knock on wood** but like I said, it just takes them so very long to melt and release the scent that I've now decided to use only tins on them, since they heat up really quick, even the big 16 ouncers. ;)

Thanks for posting those pics Cheryl!!

Thanks so much!!! I think I will get the tins and try those for her,,,

Though I haven't tried them, I'm pretty sure the jelly/canning jars would be fine. They're thicker and designed for the heat of canning. That is probably what I'll try next(or tins), since most glass I wont have any way of knowing if they'll withstand the heat.

Ducky,do you know what watt it is?I have three differant ones.One is 15 watts,17 watts,24 watts.It will tell you on the bottom.I wonder if that makes a differance.I'm glad you are alright.I have gone to work and leave mine on,won't do that anymore.Thanks for sharing.

Anna

It may not be dramatic for some, but imagine how somebody would feel if a jar full of hot wax shattered and spilled wax on an irreplaceable piece of antique furniture. Your pictures show everyone how important it is to test everything, no matter what the product may be.

Ducky,do you know what watt it is?I have three differant ones.One is 15 watts,17 watts,24 watts.It will tell you on the bottom.I wonder if that makes a differance.I'm glad you are alright.I have gone to work and leave mine on,won't do that anymore.Thanks for sharing.

Anna

I just pried the wax off the bottom and looked. It's 15 watts. I'm sure it's just cheap glass.

Broken glass, a few drops of spilled wax. Nice try, but when I saw the title I was hoping for something more dramatic. Come back when you get something to go up in flames.

I'm thinking of testing a lard candle. Flames may be in the works yet :laugh2: