Importance of testing

Three yrs. ago when we first started our wickless we used the same jar except the ones that "Wally World" have at Christmas time with the seasonal images on them. We did test, albiet just one and it was fine. Sold a few over the season and had four come back with burst glass.

We still use exactly the same warmers but a much thicker glass and have had no problems since. It is the glass in my opinion. We too found the larger glassware not only took some time to melt but would often form a bubble in the bottom while still having a "crust" so to speak on the time. The melted wax at the bottom would heat up and when it burst through to the top would often splatter. A thicker, shallow glass seems to be the key, here is what we use now:

Wendy

Ducky,this may be a dumb question,but why is there a hole in the middle of it?

Anna

I'm not exactly sure why it melted that way. It seems as though the middle was hotter. The wax on the sides still went almost to the bottom. I don't know if maybe it had to do with pressure or what. It is odd...

Three yrs. ago when we first started our wickless we used the same jar except the ones that "Wally World" have at Christmas time with the seasonal images on them. We did test, albiet just one and it was fine. Sold a few over the season and had four come back with burst glass.

We still use exactly the same warmers but a much thicker glass and have had no problems since. It is the glass in my opinion. We too found the larger glassware not only took some time to melt but would often form a bubble in the bottom while still having a "crust" so to speak on the time. The melted wax at the bottom would heat up and when it burst through to the top would often splatter. A thicker, shallow glass seems to be the key, here is what we use now:

Wendy

Those are very nice containers. They look strong and durable. Maybe I'll find some like them one day.

Ducky,this may be a dumb question,but why is there a hole in the middle of it?

Anna

I think I just spotted why. I suspected that the unit is not sealed, so I opened it to check for wax inside. The heating plate is just a small 2" square piece in the middle. The middle would be much hotter than the rest...

OOOhhhhh That's not good!:shocked2:

Were they made in China or imported? It's so hard to find anything american made these days.

Does it have a UL label on it? I'm sure you're right about it being the container but the thought of it just warming in the center like that doesn't sit well with me either. I've never used a candle warmer myself but once and I discontinued using it because I thought I would forget to turn it off. But I have a tart melter and I pull the plug when I getting ready to leave. I just personally didn't care for the warmer.

A good example of why you can't take anything for granted. And a good reminder that any change in container, wax, FO, wicks and additives has to be tested. I like being able to tell a customer that I have tested everything I sell.

Another reason I've gone to the 8 oz round tins for wickless. Tried the 4 and 8 oz jj and they were OK. Just feel the tin is safer. For 'canes I've found you really need to have a mold with a diameter of at least 4 3/4". That puts the interior diamter at 3 3/4 to 4". Then I marathon burn votives in my 'canes to test them.