What do you do with your FO samples?

pjb31apb

I notice that a lot of people post for sale in the classified ads their FO samples. I was just curious what everyone does with them? I just got a bunch from SW and I have already used one of them just because I couldn't stand how good it smelled and it needed to be soaped and used on my body! LOL But do most of you just smell them and then order larger sizes or do you use them up as well?

I just stick mine in a box I have sitting along with my other FO bottles and about once a year I offer them up for free "just pay shipping" and/or I toss them in for free with other FO bottles that I'm selling off. It's rare that I end up liking a sample that I get for free, but when I do I usually make a small soap with that and put that finished soap in my stack of "thank you" stuff that I send out with completed orders.

I don't usually bother with samples much anymore. But sometimes when I get them for some reason, I'll use them for body butter, or sugar scrubs. Something that doesn't require much scent. I hate to make soap batches that small. I've also been know to take samples sitting around and small amounts of leftover FO and put them all together in a batch of soap! Sometimes it turns out really well!LOL

For the most part I don't do anything with them. It's great to get them and sometimes I'll throw it into something like a moisturizing bar, tarts, very seldom votives and never candles. Rarely I'll do soap, unless I happen to have quite a few samples.

I've only gotten one free sample ever! I used to order them, but now the least I will get is a 2 ozer, most of the time a 4 ozer. I read up on the scent review board before buying. 2 oz will make one log and 4 two so that is good for me. If I hate the fragrance soaped it goes to my clearance page...

I usually make up a batch of votives with mine, because then I have a couple to test burn for myself and then when I get a candle purchase, I usually throw one or two in with their order.

If it's a scent I like, I will buy a bigger bottle, test it in other waxes and if I still like it, I will add it to my line. Otherwise, I have good "freebies" for customers/friends and family. :)

Rarely (in fact I think I never have) do I make a soap or b&b product with a sample scent I've had. It's just not worth the oils and ingredients in case it siezes, rices or otherwise goes awry.

:)

Wow. I never realized people don't like to use small samples. I haven't gotten any 1 oz samples at all yet, but if I did, I would at least use them in some potpourri or even make a sachet with it from scent beads. Free fo is a good thing. I look at my fo's like they're gold to me. The free ones would be like free gold. LOL

Wow. I never realized people don't like to use small samples. I haven't gotten any 1 oz samples at all yet, but if I did, I would at least use them in some potpourri or even make a sachet with it from scent beads. Free fo is a good thing. I look at my fo's like they're gold to me. The free ones would be like free gold. LOL

You've never ordered any Peaks FO's?? Oh man are you missing out on some terrific oils! :shocked2:

I've bought some Peak's but they were from someone else that I bought them off of, so I never got the 1 oz samples because I bought them second hand. I made sure in fact to buy all of her Peak's stuff if I remember correctly. I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw all the Peak's to choose from and just said I'll take them all please how much do you have to spare of each? LOL :laugh2:

I've bought some Peak's but they were from someone else that I bought them off of, so I never got the 1 oz samples because I bought them second hand. I made sure in fact to buy all of her Peak's stuff if I remember correctly. I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw all the Peak's to choose from and just said I'll take them all please how much do you have to spare of each? LOL :laugh2:

LMAO!

if its a nice scent i usually mix up rock salt, color, and the scent, put it all in a ziplock baggie over night, then put it in little sachet drawstring bags and give them to people as car air freshners (i secretly hang some in my 14yr old sons room) since i can never find the sorce of "THAT SMELL" in there LOL

You've never ordered any Peaks FO's?? Oh man are you missing out on some terrific oils! :shocked2:

Peak is one of my main suppliers! I love their oils, and the free sample they give with orders. I am SOOOOOO lucky that I live within 15 minutes driving time from them, so when I pick up my order (or my hub picks up my order) if it's a scent I already have, or if I'm looking for a particular scent to try I just ask them to replace it. Usually they are able to get me what I need/want. :)

if its a nice scent i usually mix up rock salt, color, and the scent, put it all in a ziplock baggie over night, then put it in little sachet drawstring bags and give them to people as car air freshners (i secretly hang some in my 14yr old sons room) since i can never find the sorce of "THAT SMELL" in there LOL

I'm going to start doing this! I have 2 boys and there always seems to be a funk about them. I'll have them start wearing a sachet around their necks and tell them it's a spirit bag!

Peak is one of my main suppliers! I love their oils, and the free sample they give with orders. I am SOOOOOO lucky that I live within 15 minutes driving time from them, so when I pick up my order (or my hub picks up my order) if it's a scent I already have, or if I'm looking for a particular scent to try I just ask them to replace it. Usually they are able to get me what I need/want. :)

Boy do I envy you! LOL Lucky!!! :)

Since I make and sell a lot of M&P soap I tend to use a lot of my 1oz samples. For me its a great way to market test a new fragrance and if it sells I know its a keeper.

I also love mix samples to test new scent combos. I've created quite a few combos for my soap and candles that way. Mostly its just fun to mix and match!

I am SOOOOOO lucky that I live within 15 minutes driving time from them, so when I pick up my order (or my hub picks up my order) :)

And some of us are jealous about that lol! But it's probably a good thing because I would want to hang out there all the time and they would eventually turn me in as a stalker me thinks.:o