Is this normal for Glass Glow? Photo of Huge flame

I have been testing Glass Glow for several months and I've had some major issues with it. I am aware that every wax burns differently and this one is a bit of a challenge. I have tested LX, Eco, CDN, RRD and the wicks suggested by CS for this wax. All wicks burn further down before burning out so the flame grows taller quickly. Air pockets aren't suppose to be a problem with the wax but just to be sure I have tried keeping the area around the wick open while it sets up and then doing a repour. I cool the containers very slowly in the oven. I have tried just letting the wax cool on it's own without doing repours. When testing a larger container I tried double wicking. In other words, you name it I've tried it!

The photo below is of a glass glow candle in a 2.5 diameter container using a RRD 37 wick. The candle burned for 35 min. when I noticed that the flame seemed too tall. I trimmed the wick and this is what it looked like 15 min after trimming. This has occured with the other wicks I have tested. Either the wick is too small and tunnels or it seems to be too large. I do test several burns and burn for at least 3 hours, most of the time 4 1/2. I don't like the height of the flames! It's difficult to get people to trim wicks at all let alone to require constant trimming to keep the flame from turning into a torch. I have tested, and tested and tested....This seems to be the problem I keep running into. So I would like to know if this is just normal for this wax?

GlassGlow2.jpg

The photo below is of a glass glow candle in a 2.5 diameter container using a RRD 37 wick. The candle burned for 35 min. when I noticed that the flame seemed too tall. I trimmed the wick and this is what it looked like 15 min after trimming. This has occured with the other wicks I have tested. Either the wick is too small and tunnels or it seems to be too large. I do test several burns and burn for at least 3 hours, most of the time 4 1/2. I don't like the height of the flames! It's difficult to get people to trim wicks at all let alone to require constant trimming to keep the flame from turning into a torch. I have tested, and tested and tested....This seems to be the problem I keep running into. So I would like to know if this is just normal for this wax?

The container is a 8oz tumbler.

I got huge flames with LX, CD and CDN wicks as well. I just poured a bunch of different fos with CSN wicks from CS, since they are treated for palm wax, I'm hopeful that they will burn with a more manageable flame...waiting for the dang cure time to burn them! I'm sure there are others out there that have already tested them though.

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I have also tried several wicks with palm (glass glow being one of them). I found that the CSN wickes from Candle science are the best so far. Yes, I will get a big flame for the first 10 minutes or so, but then it dies down when it starts consuming the wax and it's fine. I hate to even admit this, but....I don't trim my wicks either.:eek:

I have found that in my 8 oz. jar (2 3/4 diameter) I can wick most fo's with a CSN 14.

HTH!

I tested the CSN 14 and got the same results. I am just very concerned that these tall flames are not safe. The photo was taken after the wick was trimmed down to a nub. I can only imagine how tall it would have been without trimming.

I have been testing this wax since day one and have found the CSN wicks work best. I tried the RRD but I got huge flames also. I would try a CSN 11 or 12 in that container.

I use a CSN 11 in the 2.5 jj and it works great. I do not do re pours either. It will have a shell for at least the first burn and then should melt down.

Occasionally I will still have a very very thin layer of wax left on one side about half way down but I consider that a good burn with this wax.

I am so glad you brought this up! :highfive:

Although I love the way Glass Glow looks in containers, I am not comfortable with the way it burns. Because I used other brands/sources of palm wax before using the Glass Glow, I am surprised at the difference in the way it burns versus the other stuff I have used.

The wicks DO become like torches in GG and I don't understand why! Even when wicked down, they do not exhibit the same tendency to settle down and burn slowly in the GG the way pillar palm wax does.

I'm not ready to give up on it yet. My next set of testers will be wicked down at least three "steps." I wanna get the container so underwicked, it's anemic! :tongue2: Then I'll try one size up from there!:wink2: That's the plan, anyway...

Just for grins, I might pour a container or two in the other palm wax I use and see how it burns with the same size wick in the same size container with the same FO and dye...:tongue2:

Initially, I thought that I needed a larger wick than I was accustomed to using in the same size soy candle because palm wax is so much harder than soy, but I am finding that it's more like it needs to be wicked at least one step down from soy... at least with CDNs, which are the only kind of wicks I generally use.

Back to the lab... *super banana*

...who spilled pizza sauce on my lab coat? :undecided

or is that cranberry chutney...:o

So it's not just me that has this problem! :) The height of this flame doesn't sit well with me at all. IMO it's not safe! I poured some of the palm pillar wax I have into a container just out of curiosity. The flame wasn't as tall but it also didn't adhear to the sides of the glass. After a week or so I could just slide it right out of the container.

Good luck Stella, if anyone can get this wax to burn correctly I bet it will be you! ;)

Initially, I thought that I needed a larger wick than I was accustomed to using in the same size soy candle because palm wax is so much harder than soy, but I am finding that it's more like it needs to be wicked at least one step down from soy... at least with CDNs, which are the only kind of wicks I generally use.

Stella, have you tried the CSN wicks? They are designed to burn in palm wax.

I guess I am in the minority but I have no issues with large flames when I wick properly with the the CSN's. Anything under 3 inches I single wick. 3 plus I double wick.

The CSN wick is the only wick I use in the palm wax also. Though I have found that I normally wick down from what CS recommends. I think Lisa has tested more than anyone I have seen with the palm from CS so I tend to sorta "use the info she post on this wax" Thanks Lisa:D

Also thanks to Stella - She is my expert on the C3 :D

I experienced the same thing when attempting to wick a 3" tumbler. I ended up with a great burn in a double-wicked rectangle jar so I stuck with that. I'll try to post pics of the jar in the Gallery...the have been turning out quite nicely and 2 CSN7s make for nice comfortable sized flames.

I tested double wicking with 2 CSN 7 wicks in a larger tumbler. The flame was not as high but I got a full melt pool in less than 1 hour(more like 30 min) and my container was extremely hot. Mine wasn't a rectangle container, don't know if that makes any difference or not.

There is a CSN 5 but it only is available in the 3inch. Maybe if enough people request, CS will make it available in the 6 inch. I think it would be perfect in the 3 inch round containers.

I have tried the CSN 7's in the 12 oz Status jar (3 inch) but it is a little hot. I think the CSN 5's would be perfect!

With my 16oz layered GGLow apothecaries (4inch) I use 2 CSN 7's. I started with 11's and worked my way down. One thing that I have found is if it is a taller container you can under wick a bit because it will eventually catch up near the end.:D

Stella, have you tried the CSN wicks? They are designed to burn in palm wax.

No I haven't, jakalex. I have had such good results with CDNs in both palm and soy waxes, I had not tried CSNs... but I DO have a sample set...:wink2: I will give them a try. CDNs are designed for veggie waxes also, but if I cannot get the burn I am looking for, I will give the CSNs a whirl. Might do it anyway just for MORE grins. :D

Well, I tried the CSN wicks and didn't get results that I was pleased with so I tried other wicks. Maybe I just haven't tested the right size yet but the CD and CDN wick always give me an uneven melt pool. I think it is because the wick bends to help prevent mushrooming. Stella has good luck with them, I'll have to try a few sizes smaller than usual and see if that helps.

So it's not just me that has this problem! :) The height of this flame doesn't sit well with me at all. IMO it's not safe! I poured some of the palm pillar wax I have into a container just out of curiosity. The flame wasn't as tall but it also didn't adhear to the sides of the glass. After a week or so I could just slide it right out of the container.

Good luck Stella, if anyone can get this wax to burn correctly I bet it will be you! ;)

Phew wow thanks for starting this thread cause my flames are huge also. Havent tried the CSN wicks yet so I am hoping that will change but yeah those 1st 10 min or so are very dangerous, and I wick down and the flame is still high but I dont get the MP.

Cant wait to follow this all the way through to see what the magic is lol

I don't do palm but I've looked at those products and wondered how a 144 MP material is gonna work with a single wick in anything but the smallest diameter containers. You would expect it to do just what it's doing -- have flareups and/or burn down the center. That Frost Palm they sell says 130 MP. Seems much more reasonable. That's the one I was thinking of playing with when it's back in stock.

Starting burning the 3 1/2" container with a CSN 16 today...not waiting since I want to test burn more than HT. First burn it was a huge flame (no different than Cotton, CD, LX or RRD wicks). Same shell on top with MP underneath. 2nd burn into it at 2 hours, and still a huge flame although it's probably 1/4" shorter than it was the first 30 minutes. So far the container is still just barely warm to the touch, same after the 1st 4 hours. Since these wicks are specific to palm wax, I think it's just the nature that this wax burns with a huge flame. I know for sure I won't be making any palm pillars anytime soon, the containers are hard enough to wick. One thing I can say about these wicks, I got a tiny, tiny shroom on the first burn and nothing now. They do self-trim, but the flame stays really straight so they aren't burning to one side like most self-trimming wicks. Not really sure I like them any better than cotton wicks.