Tagline too close for comfort?

Bunny

Ok, I'm Lotions and Potions and Soaps Oh My, and was fiddling around the net like I always to, and came across a company with the name "Butters, Bubbles, and Bombs Oh My" and it's kinda perturbing me. I know the first three are different, but everything for me is Oh My bath bombs or Oh My blah blah.. I mean, everyone here helped create it, and it has a very special meaning to me.

Would you be miffed? Just curious as to opinions here.. No flaming or hollering, just opinions from all sides please!

I'd probably be a little miffed myself, though not overly angry. I'm assuming yours was developed first. It is somewhat different, and harder to remember than yours, honestly. Yours has a rhythm to it that I like much better. Sorry that had to happen, since I remember the thread with your name suggestions, it's disappointing someone would try to copy it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?:confused:

Nah, I don't think you can be miffed about it. Since the "*****, and *****, and *****, -Oh My" part has been around for at least 68 years or so, it's hardly original. I'm sure the cadence has been used dozens and dozens of times in commerce and it in no way means that any of them copied from anyone else or that any of them past or present has seen your site, etc.

It simply means it's a well known, catchy saying that is very easy for many people to modify to suit their own needs.

Ya'll are right, the products are not the same. And I'm not freaking out over here, just a little miffed. I'm glad to hear two things:

1. That ya'll are honest with me. I appreciate that greatly!

2. That my name has a better flow! LOL! Ok, I know it was wrong, but I loved seeing that!

I'm headed to bed, ya'll have a great night!

Ok.. Now check this one out.. Someone just PM'd me with lotions and potions oh my! It's not a business name, where you click to get to the lotions and potions. Now, that one is too close for comfort.. I can't believe! Now I'm getting pissed... But it's still not a company name, or a tagline like the above. Guess it's time to get some paperwork in order.

I've known of a 'lotions and potions oh my' for years.

There's a store in IN that I go to every now and then and the store's name is Lotions and Potions...the oh my thing is in their store window.

They sell everything from burt's bees to sugar scrubs, soaps, lotions, EOs jackel tart warmers etc...everything bath and body.

I've also seen web sites with the same name when I have seached online for their store to try and order from them.

Well, when you Google Lotions Potions Oh My, you get your site. When you Google Lotions Potions you get a site called Lotions and Potions. That's really the problem with names. Seems like someone's always got it first. Can you register it or trademark it or something?

Well, if you really want to get technical (and have a laugh)- not sure how long you've been selling but at least 5 years ago, there is an adult line of 'Lotions and Lubes' Oh My, specializing in silky smooth stuff without the sticky. :D

Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my! The "oh my" was swiped, for your tagline, so what's to keep anyone else from doing likewise?

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't be miffed. I've seen the "oh my" numerous times on many items.

Bunny, I have to agree with the rest. Yours has the best flow. It just rolls off the tongue. LOtions and POtions and SOAPS, oh MY!

I did what Tall Blonde tried, and I came up with...

http://www.lotionsandpotions.com

http://www.lotionandpotion.com

http://www.lotionspotions.com

Time to pull out that trademark rifle!

Update: Ahhh. They're all from the same company. Franchises, I guess.

For the Lotions and Potions website, a picture of their storefront from their website says they have been in business since 1969: http://www.lotionspotions.com

Wouldn't the "xxx, and xxx, and xxx, oh my" phrase already have been trademarked by whoever made The Wizard of Oz - and probably Ted Turner has the rights now?

I couldn't find the Butters, Bubbles, and Bombs Oh My website when I searched Google.

My guess is, they didn't really trademark movie lines around that time frame and if they did, they probably didn't think in the 50's to really care to renew the licensing.

They are pretty strict on certain lines being TM'ed and usually it's only logo taglines, or else we'd never see the T-Shirts we do (I see stupid people, for example - a play on the Sixth Sense, or Go ahead, make my millenium, or Bond. Bail Bond. Shaken, AND stirred).

Anyone remember Paris Hilton trying to TM 'That's Hot!'? lol :)

here's the one that I go to.

http://www.lotionandpotion.com/index.html

They have way more stuff in their store then what's listed online too. Love shopping there. They even have things like dry bubble bath that comes in small Tide detergent boxes too cute....

That's where I've seen it! I go to Shipshe a couple of times a year and I thought I saw it there but was thinking of the old Davis Hotel that burned. Thanks!

They are pretty strict on certain lines being TM'ed and usually it's only logo taglines, or else we'd never see the T-Shirts we do (I see stupid people, for example - a play on the Sixth Sense, or Go ahead, make my millenium, or Bond. Bail Bond. Shaken, AND stirred).

Anyone remember Paris Hilton trying to TM 'That's Hot!'? lol :)

I guess so, they can't run down every redneck wearing those T-shirts and yank them off their backs. :)

Paris Hilton - blech. She's a snotty-nosed brat.