Name that screw-up

jaybyrd

What's your most memorable soaping fiasco? I've only been soaping for 2-3 months, and I've already got a few under my belt. There's my Coffee Kitchen (a.k.a. Gaggy Garbage) soap, but it's a close tie with my first attempt at swirling.

I was using the MMS purple raspberry colorant, the stuff that tints bath water. Thing is, I used it like a pigment. About a teaspoon. Dry. It looked pretty cool, and I was all proud of myself & eager to try it out. After the obligatory 4 wks cure, I go romping into the shower with a bar and it starts dripping red goo the second it gets wet. Oh, maybe that's just on the surface, let's scrub it up in the pouf. Ah, nope. Now I'm covered in this gory slime, and the bar keeps oozing red, beacuse I have to rinse off the slime before I can put it down, but rinsing makes it wet which is what makes it bleed. I looked like an Aztec priest after a busy day at the altar.

Needless to say, I disposed of the batch. It occurs to me now, though, they would have made good practical jokes. For people you really dislike. Who don't know where you live.

I'm nearly at my first year mark of making soap and had only read stories about soap gremlins and fairies and all that..yeah yeah whatever..didn't care because I had soap angels...ahhhh well these angels must have thought that I didnt' need any help for a while so I guess they turned their heads. and in rushed the the gremlins and faries and they posted flyers for all their family to join them at my house for a reunion..whoo hooo! it was time to par-tay!...LOL and the party began when I decided to pour my first kitchen sink drawer soap.

I had three batches to mix. I had measured everything and they began playing in the lye.

Turned it into a crystal/gel stony substance. Ok, no problem. After I tackled that issue, my brain went on vacation and all of my fo"s melted the plastic cups they were in and wouldn't you know they were sitting on the stove!..ah damn ok stop and clean the stove and do it well.

Refusing to be defeated I began to mix the first batch and it seized and turned into a brick in a matter of seconds. Ok, I still have 2 batches left. I mixed the second batch and it looked ok and had beautiful swirls..so on to the third and right after I poured the lye into the oils, my wrist decided it didn't want to soap anymore and I had a sharp pain that went from my wrist to my elbow that said, I told you I don't want to do this! but I work through pain and that's just part of RA...so I decided I would call this batch RA surprise! and give a whole new meaning to "hand" made soap..LOL..I put on my brace and said, oh I will finish this!..and I did with nearly one hand and the soap was beautiful but both of the final batches had lye pockets:mad: and that's my worst soaping experience, EVER!

I decided I would only do LS for a few days and I think that confused the gremlins and fairies and they went away...and I have since had three successful cpbs batches.:yay: I ask the angels to never leave me alone like that...shoot somebody could get hurt!..:laugh2: :laugh2:

Definitely my "Pee & Puke" soap. Goatsmilk full strength, and when I added the lye, it smelled like a million wet diapers left in a garbage bag in a car on a hot day in August. Then I forgot to stir it and it formed this orange curdy crust on top (the puke). I actually poured it into my oils and made soap, and the soap was a little odd. The middle of the soap in the log mold rose up, and then collapsed, leaving a very dense centre. It did make a usable soap, which I used in the bathroom at work (maybe that's why someone went out and bought some commercial liquid soap?) Luckily the smell disappeared. I still have a couple of bars.

My first and definitely last experience with CP soap found me mixing my lye and water in an ALUMINUM candle pour pitcher! At the time I had no clue that you couldn't use aluminum. My husband informed me I had a volcano in the kitchen and the family had to flee the house for a couple of hours cause the smoke and fumes about killed us ROFL! Then my husband decided to inform me I couldn't use aluminum with lye, thanks for telling me after!

I have never tried CP since rofl!|

Angi

The Soap Box

What's your most memorable soaping fiasco? I've only been soaping for 2-3 months, and I've already got a few under my belt. There's my Coffee Kitchen (a.k.a. Gaggy Garbage) soap, but it's a close tie with my first attempt at swirling.

I was using the MMS purple raspberry colorant, the stuff that tints bath water. Thing is, I used it like a pigment. About a teaspoon. Dry. It looked pretty cool, and I was all proud of myself & eager to try it out. After the obligatory 4 wks cure, I go romping into the shower with a bar and it starts dripping red goo the second it gets wet. Oh, maybe that's just on the surface, let's scrub it up in the pouf. Ah, nope. Now I'm covered in this gory slime, and the bar keeps oozing red, beacuse I have to rinse off the slime before I can put it down, but rinsing makes it wet which is what makes it bleed. I looked like an Aztec priest after a busy day at the altar.

Needless to say, I disposed of the batch. It occurs to me now, though, they would have made good practical jokes. For people you really dislike. Who don't know where you live.

Jaybird, don't throw your soap away. You could just cut it up into pieces and use it as embeds so you wouldn't have so much colorant in it.

Mine would probably be my meat soap fiasco but it's pretty mild. I decided to use my precious Instant Karma in a HP - was supposed to have an orange swirl and I figured out my colorants with care. I don't really do HP but I was all set and had re-read the instructions like 10 times.

No one told me I shouldn't short the water for HP (especially as a beginner, this was my 2nd HP batch and the first was unscented castile). It went from liquid to solid in about 2 minutes. I KNEW that was wrong so I added water... and tried to stir... more water... FO & colorant... tried to stir... more water... Then I realized the soap had been done cooking AGES ago - I scraped it out of the pot and into the mold and smooshed it in with both hands. Heat goes thru rubber gloves, by the way.

My orange swirl wasn't a swirl - nor was it orange.

I ended up with what looked like 3-day old bloody steaks. Smelled yummy tho!

Then there was the day I didn't seal the bottom of my PVC well enough...

Oh,and the time I got lye all down my front and stripped naked and THEN opened the front door (nice sunny Saturday, whole neighborhood outside) to tell my kids to stay out of the house till I could shower and clean up. That's my favorite I think.

Oh,and the time I got lye all down my front and stripped naked and THEN opened the front door (nice sunny Saturday, whole neighborhood outside) to tell my kids to stay out of the house till I could shower and clean up. That's my favorite I think.

OMG, that's so horrible! I vote for CareBear as the winner, hands down.

I haven't been visited so terribly by the soap gremlins, as of yet. My worst experience was the time I forgot to put the fo into my beautifully colored and marbled soap. I was able to free my soap from the mold and mix in the fo, but bye bye pretty soap.:tongue2: It was cphp, too, so it's a miracle I could incorporate the fo at that point. Knock, knock, who's there? It's the soap gremlins!*faint*

Great idea for a thread, btw.

:laugh2:LOL!!! :laugh2: I love the way you just tossed that last one out, like an afterthought. So how much is therapy for the kids running? "Stay out of the house? Nooo problem, mom. . ."

Thanks for chiming in, all!

:yay:

I have been soaping for about 2 years and have been pretty lucky as far as anything major but here are my trials:

Totally forgetting the the screws on my Kelsei and just grabbing the mold and starting to pour. Not a good idea to forget said screws!

Seaweed Muck Soap - This went to acceleration way too fast using BB's Juniper Breeze and it just looks hideous!

My first hand at using pigments was not a pretty one. I usually always have all of my items measured and ready once my lye hits the oils. My Pigment was the one thing I left out and apparently I was in the process and got distracted because the lid was on it but not screwed down. I went to pick it up and the lid stayed in my hand but the bottom part containing the Ultramarine Blue came up with the lid and then crashed back down on the counter producing a lovely blue cloud that would have rivaled anything my imagination could conjure. Once the blue cloud effect was done, my counter, me and the cat were covered in blue! It was hysterical to see the cat with these tinges of blue. Several baths later and lots of hissing he was clean.....

• 9 months later...

OMG I'm hunting down to see what size molds most people enjoy and somehow in the search came across this thread and can not stop laughing!!! OMFG My stomach is killing me!!!

Do we have any more to add to this one? OMG I'm actually laughing so hard it hurts here!!!! :laugh2:

OMG I bookmarked this thread for when I need a good laugh. Some very funny ones in this one!

A woman turning blood red in the shower. Another running to the front door naked to call the kids. Blue clouds that make people and animals look like a smurfs. Some scary stuff too, and some messed up soaps. This is a funny thread. Had to bump it in case others hadn't seen it like me. :laugh2:

I had one batch that was very lye heavy and I never figured out why. It actually got lye crystals growing out of it.

Any time I make soap and have someone in my shop I forget to put in the FO. Good thing I rarely have people in my shop.

OMG I never expected to see this first thing in the morning ROFLMAO.

I agree Carebear has this one hands down. :bow:

If that blue had been spilled on my big fat cat he would have to have stayed blue because he's an outside cat most of the time he would eat me alive if I tried to give him a bath. Hell he hisses at me when I try to get him out the door.

The priest at the altar was funny. I just couldn't imagine all that red goo just steadily running in the shower.

I think my worst screw-up was when I tried to do a blind swirl with a vanilla I had never used before. It seized and riced and made a huge mess. (I kept the batch for myself, and it actually made a really nice feeling soap, it just really looked horrible! LOL)

I've had a couple of overheated batches that caused the alien brains look and I've had more "unscented" batches that I've cared to have due to leaving the FO sit on the counter after pouring and swirling the soap. LOL

LMAO And Scented too with the pouring and not realizing she's not pouring into the mold!!! OMG I could just imagine how funny that one was, even though it wouldn't be funny at the time! :laugh2:

Alien brains!!! :laugh2:

When I was new to making soap I placed a freshly made batch on my Cherry wood dining room table , covered it and went to bed. Evidently there was a leak in the mold when I got up Liquid/soap had leaked out all over the table and ate through the finish!!!! UGGHHH I was upset to say the least. lol:o