Why , are so many people crazy about Yankee.

this week, i bought some yankee votives off a young couple at a yard sale. i thought i would put them in my bathroom & bedroom , i had just changed colors in. for decor.... i had a couple left that didn't match my colors, so i decided yesterday to see how they smell, smells wonderful in wrap. i put one in bathroom, checked back after about 10 mins, still no smell, i kept checking and i never did get a smell from it. finally gave up , blew it out and went back , put one of my tarts in my warmer, had Baby snuggle coming out of there within 5 mins. why does people buy these if they don't smell good when lit ? i knew this young girl and asked her why she had all these yankee votives if she didn't burn them... she said just for looks, i told her , you can go walmart and get pretty ones just for that , plus a lot cheaper. i have had a few of the yankee container candles , the kids had bought me and they didn't burn well at all , this girl was buying them just because it had Yankee on front and is a big co. these wasn't real old , she had bought them this year , that was my first thought, too old. i guess its just that some people has to have name brands on everything.

It's just the appeal of the brand name. Plus a lot of people simply don't know what it is supposed to look/smell like when it's lit. They don't know you're supposed to still be able to smell it when lit, and that it's not supposed to leave a lot of extra wax behind.

I have bought MANY MANY of their candles and tarts and never once had a problem with the throw. They have all been fantasic. My only complaint was the soot I was getting. I just got tired of spending so much money on their candles and decided to try and make them myself. Well after all this time and money, I think I would have saved enough money to bought all the candles they had in my local store vs buying the supplies I have bought :laugh2:

I know the wealthy people in my area will not buy from me. I have tested all my candles against Yankme & other Nam Brands and they will out bun them in every way and at a better price. These rich people in my town don't care about a quality candle, they have got to have a Name Brand (no matter what the $Price$), so when their friends are over, they see the name brand.

I can offer them custom color (to match their decor), special & unique glassware, better quality product and they still won't buy.

People think Name Brand is a better product until they try my candles. I have a display in my store of side by side comparrison to show how much better my products are. That way they can see first hand how my product compairs to others. Then when the customer takes my candles home ,they can smell the difference.

I used to be a huge Yankee Fan

My fav was the blueberry

Well that was until I started doing my own.

I have been told many times over by my customers that mine are way better.

I agree now. lol

I love my blueberry alot more than theirs now.

a yankee franchise store opened in my nearest town bout a year or two ago. It is always full of people browsing and buying someone i know knows the owner and says she does very well!! It kinda annoys me that someone could buy into a brand that easily and the minute that they open the door have a fantastic reputation because of the brand they're selling! (even though i do not buy yankees not wot i like). I have a shop-non candle related- and it has taken nearly two years of hard work to make sure that we build and keep agreat reputation and repour with our customers,we always go that extra mile and pay sooo much each year in advertising so that people know what we are about,its so frustrating that someone can just set up a business and already have that? I've been thinking about opening my own store for candles but i'm not sure i could compete against the branding ect of yankee!!! in england yankee just keeps getting bigger,luckily my family and friends agree with me about their candles. (Only my thoughts hope i dont ofend anyone!!)

I have people around here that love Salt city candles and that is all they will buy. Even though they come up to my booth and smell and look at what I have. They will walk away and always mention "Oh I only buy Salt city or Yankee!" Like I care!!!

I have people around here that love Salt city candles and that is all they will buy. Even though they come up to my booth and smell and look at what I have. They will walk away and always mention "Oh I only buy Salt city or Yankee!" Like I care!!!

You need a display of burned candles Name Brand & yours side by side, to show customers the crap they buy and what they can get from you.

I could never convince Name Brand customers to switch just by telling them the difference. I had to show them the difference, to get them to switch.

I agree that Yankee candles tend to be pretty hit and miss on good hot throw in jar and votives. But, I do think there tarts are very good. I love Yankee's patchoulli, cannot find a dupe. Anyway, my sister bought me one for my birthday, a 24 oz jar, and that thing doesn't even smell. I think they have changed something because years ago, I used to think the jars were so much better, but I would say the last 6 years haven't been so good. I also had someone tell me that they wished they hadn't wasted their money on Gold Canyon's sweet pea because it won't throw at all like mine does.

I agreed with what everyone said, i haven't bought any of the tarts so i can't say how they are but i do know that the last big container candle, that my son had got me for mother's Day ... had no smelll , tunneled down middle and left black soot everywhere on my table . i had some little heart shaped tarts from a place , my neice had got and was selling them in her store , well i got me a few and let people see the difference in the shape, size and smell along beside mine, some still had bad edges on them, i said this is what a tart looks like being poured from a machine and this is what they look like all hand poured..lol i buy a product for the quality of it... not for the name , haveing to have brand name stuff, is something i never have worried about . i much rather have a candle that someone took the time to learn about and makes sure it is good before putting out there to sell.

Thanks Candleman for the advice. I don't buy candles from any competition, so I am going to have to ask around for some already burnt candles.

I bought from stores & crafters around here, to make my display. I have no problems with it, and I write it off as R&D. This has taken business away from some of them and I even put one hand poured candle shop out of business, with my quality products and great customer service.

When I lived on the east coast, all I would burn was Yankee.

But I always hated the tunneling they do, such a waste or you have to spend time digging it out to put in a warmer.

I know the feeling CandleMan about the rich, they can be PITA when it comes to wanting brand name. It has taken me a long time to get one or two richies here to buy from me. But hey, I have seen Oprah buy things from people that are making stuff, bake stuff and such. So there are some willing to try.

I got one customer by saying, you give me one of your new yankee candles and I will trade you for one of mine. She looked at me funny....

thought about it.....then I guess she figured, no biggy, what is $20.

So she did it, she has never bought Yankee since and I sold her Yankee on Ebay!!! Doesn't work on all though.

I don't have a shop soooo, it is really hard getting me out there. I am in two fairly big hair salons and working on a home decor shop now.

I also have people that are diehard Salt City and Gold Canyon. I have converted some but still working on a few that are stubborn.

Yankee has changed alot since I use to burn them 15+ years ago.

I think they like that they are expensive and they are a well known named company that has been around forever. Their tarts around here sell for $1.19 each. I know so many people that used to pay that much for their tarts but now don't.

I used to like Yankme until I started making my own, then I started getting compliments that my candles are better than theirs.

Mindy :)

I can understand why people continue to buy them...

Ever been to one of those southern flea markets in the mountains? Prior to making my own candles, I purchased some from a lady who made her own. They smelled great...UNTIL YOU LIT THEM. Then, nothing! I basically paid for a flame.

I would venture to say that this happens alot....a person will buy a hand-poured candle, will have a bad experience like I did.....and will go right back to places like Yankee...

It only takes one bad experience and people will not buy them handmade again....never mind the tunnelling, soot, etc. They are uneducated as to how a candle "should" burn....just like I was two months ago.

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that some of the candlemakers out there aren't testing as they should....they are simply pouring candles and selling them within a few weeks. It's giving the rest of us a bad name and causing more consumers to continue hitting the Yankee stores...

Just my:2cents:

I also started making candles because I thought I would save money making them instead of buying them. :laugh2: Boy was I wrong! One of the main companies I use to buy from was Yankee. Looking back I now know that I didn't always get what I paid for, many did tunnel. In all honesty I never had a probem with scent throw from any of the ones I purchased and I really did like their tarts. It has been several years since I purchased one of their container candles so maybe things have changed. I do believe that some people purchase from them and other candle companies because they like the idea of the name brand. I've heard people make the comment about handcrafted products "If it were so good why isn't it sold in a store?" Hard to get people like that to understand individual attention and handpoured quality over machine made. Just like buying designer clothes. But to be fair not all of these companies produce bad candles. I have also purchased some poor quality candles that were handcrafted.

One of the differences is that most of the time if your nice about it and point out a problem to someone that makes candles they are usually willing to make corrections with their product for your approval. Trying doing that with one of the big guys!

I used to be a die-hard Yankee customer. I just figured candles were SUPPOSED to soot and tunnel. I'd finish burning the candle for the day, scrape down the excess wax so there wasn't a tunnel any more, and when the glass was cool, I would clean it off with Windex until the next burn. It wasn't until I purchased a handmade soy candle at a local craft fair that I quit buying Yankee candles. I had no idea a candle could be made to burn all the way down without tunneling, without tons of black soot, and could smell SO GOOD. Don't even ask me why I thought I wanted to start making my own, but now that I do, I will never buy a store candle again!