What happened to Pourette Mfg.?

So I hear the word is they're moving and will be letting people know after they've landed in a new spot. :undecided It might have been nice to know before hand.

Can you share with us where you heard this? I would be a lot more comfortable knowing more. The entire thing smacks of cash problems.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to one of my suppliers stores in Vancouver they had a TON of Pourette molds. They usually dont sell Pourette but I noticed they had an entire back shelf area FULL of their molds. So maybe they are selling stuff of cheap to other retailers before they move or close out or what ever is going on....

Has anyone tried faxing them? I have a fax at my office and would be willing to fax them to ask them if they are still in business if someone sent me the number. I just emailed my supplier. I will let you know as soon as I do. I didnt think anything of it until I saw this post about the molds. They never used to carry Pourette and when I was there March 14 they had A TON of molds from there.

Well....I just have to tell someone because I think it is funny and have to share.......I did find the name of the systems administrator for Pourette and I emailed him with a very polite email and asked him if he knew what was happening. He was very rude and angry that I am a "snoop" and doesn't' like "snoopy" people checking on him. He asked how I got his email. I told him that in this age of high technology why wouldn't I be able to find his email. I just typed in Pourette and his resume came up. He asked me if I was going to hop on a plane from "Charlottesville" and come and bug them. I guess he wanted me to know that he knew that I live in Charlottesville. Well I told him that I don't live in Charlottesville anymore. It is on my website that I live in California......so I told him that I am a lot closer than he thinks and he better be careful because I may sneak up during the night. This guy is something else......must have very low self esteem due to.........well I won't go there (smile).....anyway...I just went to the link that I sent him to his resume and it had been removed. He must really be afraid of something.....we are such a scary bunch of people here on CT....:wink2:

Donita Louise

Donita, you are too funny!! Just to let everyone know ,I filled out a complaint to the Better Bussines Bueru. They told me Pourett has till May 5th to correct the problem. We will see what go's on from their. Maybe it would be a good idea if all the people who got burned to do the same!! Maybe they will take it more seriously.I will keep you all posted. Thank ya'll. Tee

Well....I just have to tell someone because I think it is funny and have to share.......I did find the name of the systems administrator for Pourette and I emailed him with a very polite email and asked him if he knew what was happening. He was very rude and angry that I am a "snoop" and doesn't' like "snoopy" people checking on him. He asked how I got his email. I told him that in this age of high technology why wouldn't I be able to find his email. I just typed in Pourette and his resume came up. He asked me if I was going to hop on a plane from "Charlottesville" and come and bug them. I guess he wanted me to know that he knew that I live in Charlottesville. Well I told him that I don't live in Charlottesville anymore. It is on my website that I live in California......so I told him that I am a lot closer than he thinks and he better be careful because I may sneak up during the night. This guy is something else......must have very low self esteem due to.........well I won't go there (smile).....anyway...I just went to the link that I sent him to his resume and it had been removed. He must really be afraid of something.....we are such a scary bunch of people here on CT....:wink2:

Donita Louise

Too funny!

What the hell was he thinking?

Anyway an angry bunch of candlemakers can be really dangerous!

I got word back from my supplier. All they would say is that they are carrying Pourette molds but that is it, that they are stocking up their supply. I guess you can read between the lines. Pourette sure does have people hush hush about whatever is going on!

Oh glad you clarified that it is your opaque wax cause I know Mike has never had to use that much liquid dye for dark colors.
He uses a soy blend
and most of his candles are fairly dark colors and we have no wick clogging problems with liquids.

Glo

I don't know how he can get dark colors in soy with just a little color, soy is opaque, so you would need more color to get s dark color.

I have to double my amount of color from my paraffin votives to my soy blend containers, to even get close to the paraffin color.

Can you share with us where you heard this? I would be a lot more comfortable knowing more. The entire thing smacks of cash problems.

On another forum. THere was some chatter. Someone went to the warehouse and guess someone told them they were moving and would be contacting their customers.

This is exactly why it smacks of money issues to me. I am really afraid they are gone for good. It may be that they are trying to savlage the business by selling it off - or the bank is trying to sell it. There really is no way of knowing right now. Word of mouth is all we seem to be getting.

Monday I spoke with Andrea James of Seattle Post Intelligencer - she wrote an article on the company in Februray of this year. She has had three phone calls this week from other customers. She drove to the company and there is a note on the door that they are relocating. She also stated that there has been a death in Mike Kovacs' family.

As with everything else, this is second hand.

My educated guess?

They spent a ton of cash to Eporia for that site -- they did it to compete with Candlewic. The big money makers for them are the two-piece plastic and the "other" stuff. The were getting hosed on the steel molds -- especially with the discounting. Steel prices were jumping like crazy and they didn't have the "heart" to keep bumping price -- which they should have.

Put this together with an industry right now (candles) that is in the tank for most folks, and you've got a bad mix.

Candlewic and the that steel mold outfit in California are going to take the prize.

The other side of this mess was the Barker Company saga and you'll see why they just couldn't hack it.

Do I think they'll come back? Perhaps. But the days of giving away the house on steel and other things are over.

We'll see where it goes from here. When I used to call them for custom work (and stock work as well) -- I never got a "warm and fuzzy" feeling -- it always seemed like THEY were doing you a favor. I didn't care -- I got what I needed, but I think many folks did care.

Oh Well...

I agree with you completely about the warm fuzzies - they didn't exist! I used to hate calling them to order because it was always like I was interrupting their precious time. I don't remember the guys name that always answered but he shouldn't have ever been allowed to answer phones and represent the company. It was at least two years ago that I ordered molds from them.

BUT, I like the dye diamonds. I no longer use the molds but the dye was just something I have formulated and easy.

I purchased many novelties from them....then one day I poured at 150 as always....and a nickle size hole popped through the mold....they wouldn answer my email or the phone.....

That could have been from poor quality plastic and that spot had a thin weak spot or a flaw.