What happened to Pourette Mfg.?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeze - this is makin' me nervous... I have an order in with them and the money has been removed from my checking account. I received the normal order acknowledgement, but no notice of shipping...:shocked2::undecided Has ANYONE received their order yet or been in touch with them? Does anyone live in Seattle who could verify whether they are actually closed or what?

Well most of their colors I use in Christmas scents so I have a while to scout out new colors if need be. The chips I use for regular scents I have in bulk so I should be able to get by for a time. Really sucks.

I thought someone's mother lived there and was going to check it out, any luck?

The problem with that article is that there is no date and it is written by the web designers to promote their own designs. Sadly, it tells us nothing about what is actually happening at Pourette right now.

I really wish someone that lived in Seattle would drive over there. I did a google map of the area but I got busy and didn't have time to go any further. I have, however, spent a lot of time searching for candle dyes today. I found one powder vendor and also called the site listed above about samples. I am not thrilled about using dye blocks but I am going to give them a shot. I have GOT to have something that I know I will have access to.

I am not thrilled about using dye blocks but I am going to give them a shot.
The trouble with those dye blocks is that they are intended for coloring 20 lbs of wax. If you are making just a small batch it is going to be hard to cut it to the right size. In this sense, the liquid dyes are easier, but the cash outlay is quite a bit more.

Switching from chips to blocks might not be such a bad option. They're very similar apart from size. The chips are pre-measured so you'd have to bring a scale into the picture. I think about 1 gram of block per chip should be well within the ballpark.
I can measure 1 gram but would the block crumble apart when I cut it? This was what I was worried about. Whenever I try to cut the chips in half they crumble. Fortunately I don't usually have to do that which is why I prefer the chips as I can use a whole one at a time.

I can measure 1 gram but would the block crumble apart when I cut it? This was what I was worried about. Whenever I try to cut the chips in half they crumble. Fortunately I don't usually have to do that which is why I prefer the chips as I can use a whole one at a time.

Yeah the chips are convenient that way. The biggest loss is for the casual hobbyist who probably doesn't have a sensitive scale and can't justify the investment. Buying the cheapest one will give you headaches.

But if you have the scale it really isn't much of a hassle measuring out the blocks. You can cut chunks reasonably neatly with a straight razor. You do get some shards. I keep each block in a little ziploc and any leftover pieces go back in the bag.

At this point maybe it would be best to stock up on chips while you can. Buy yourself some time to find out if they're coming back and work out an alternative if they're not.

I know I'm relatively new, but I always use blocks, they are so easy to do, I have a sharp knife and sort of slice a piece off the side. I add it till I'm happy with the colour.

I have a few chips, in fact I used one today, those triangle reddiglo? ones. Cut it and the darn thing shot off in 2 different directions :)

Just had a look at that pourette site, although I'm in the UK, would be a shame to close down as it looks a really great site.

I'd be tempted to find somewhere close by and ring them, ask them to nip over ;)

I use all kinds of color. I like the blocks. I score them into 8ths and let that be my guide. One block will color 15 to 20 lbs depending on what you want....so if I cut an 8th....it is easy to calculate how much for a 4lb pitcher or a 20 lb pot or whatever. Of course you can play with it and make it very light or very dark....just like with the chips. I do like the purple chips but if I use the violet chunks and add a little red....I get a nice purple too. I love to play with color anyway....that keeps things interesting....usually. :wink2: I keep all of my yogurt cups to test colors in. Donita Louise

I called the city clerk there and they looked into it and couldn't find any information either. Their registrations are all up-to-date. The chamber of commerce has no information, she even looked up the county information. At this point she said there is nothing to indicate they have closed. She did give me another number to call but I am running out the door, I will try it tomorrow and let you all know. Too much time on my hands today LOL :D

I wonder if they will sell off any of their formulas and, if so, how to get them. Also what about there mold making equiptment. There are some formulas I would like to get a hold of and start manufacturing.

If they are in tax/financial trouble then their property and equiptment my be auctioned off.

Tahlula, I heard it from Jim. He is the owner of Letitshine. He told me yesterday. I guess Letitshine sells wax to Pourette. He does or did business with them

Would have been nice to include that in your original post instead of saying "I heard" without any details... we love details ya know. I have no idea who letitshine is but with as large as pourette is/was I dont know why they would need to buy wax from someone that most of us have never heard of.

Bruce

I just filed a complaint to BBB about them..I don't know if that will do any good..and yes such a shame to go out like that. They should just take the site down. I talked to the guy from Euporia (the webmaster) and he said as far as he know they are are still in bussiness. This sucks raw eggs!!:cry2:

At this point maybe it would be best to stock up on chips while you can. Buy yourself some time to find out if they're coming back and work out an alternative if they're not.
Thanks for the advice. That is what I ended up doing. At least this way I won't have to rush to re-test new colorings.