What happened to Pourette Mfg.?

The other side of this mess was the Barker Company saga and you'll see why they just couldn't hack it.

What was the story with Barker Company? I saw an auction on Ebay and got a case of dye rounds with about 20 different colors, 15-20 rounds of each for $20 and bought it. I like some of the colors but were never able to find much out about them. The auction was from an estate and the person who sold it didn't know anything other than it was candle dye. I was just curious what happened to that company.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barker was also in Seattle -- They were competitors, of sorts -- Barker bought metal molds (from what I know) -- and the rest of the stuff (middle-man) they competed...

Pourete, I BELIEVE, just after the Olsen's gave it up (Don Olsen owned it before this Kovacs (sp?) guy...) bought Barker -- I want to say in like 2000 or so. Now get this -- they close it down. Just like that. They buy it, and kill it.

STUPID. Now I'm not 100% certain of SOME of the details. I bought very little as we grew from them but for certain steel molds they were a dream, especially since we had a Retailer's Resale account with them (We had a store front that was an "Authorized Pourette Dealer" for their molds... This is going back to the days when the gold seals were still on the box and mold... Anyway...

That's the scoop -- I never bought a thing from Barker -- but my guess stands, they wasted money on Barker and on that site to compete with Binder (Stupid, they should have just striven to be the West-Coast version of Binder) -- and POOF... the money was gone. The candle business is in the crapper from most, so these are lean times -- and they had no cash left. :(

I've got molds with the gold sticker too...(smile)

I still have an old Barker catalog.....I remember when that all happened. Seemed strange to me.

I too had a retail store and sold Pourette molds. Jeff sent me tons of their catalogs to pass on to my customers.

Bill just told me that he is hearing what we are hearing and nothing definite....but now today is another story. Who knows???????

What a mystery......some people don't care in the least, but I do and I am also curious. Donita Louise

Barker was also in Seattle -- They were competitors, of sorts -- Barker bought metal molds (from what I know) -- and the rest of the stuff (middle-man) they competed...

Pourete, I BELIEVE, just after the Olsen's gave it up (Don Olsen owned it before this Kovacs (sp?) guy...) bought Barker -- I want to say in like 2000 or so. Now get this -- they close it down. Just like that. They buy it, and kill it.

STUPID. Now I'm not 100% certain of SOME of the details. I bought very little as we grew from them but for certain steel molds they were a dream, especially since we had a Retailer's Resale account with them (We had a store front that was an "Authorized Pourette Dealer" for their molds... This is going back to the days when the gold seals were still on the box and mold... Anyway...

That's the scoop -- I never bought a thing from Barker -- but my guess stands, they wasted money on Barker and on that site to compete with Binder (Stupid, they should have just striven to be the West-Coast version of Binder) -- and POOF... the money was gone. The candle business is in the crapper from most, so these are lean times -- and they had no cash left. :(

I hate stories like that, buy out the competition and shut them down ;( Thanks for letting me know, something I was curious about when I got the dyes.

This really sucks. This is the 3rd major company to have gone under that I deal with... 2 are mfg. and Pourette for molds, etc.

Look, I'm no dope, and I know this business is cyclical -- and I know dam straight that the people who manage to hold on to the next wave will be in a good spot... but when you see big names go under... Jeeze. I knew when Yankme started making car air freshners and selling in Bed Bath & Beyond that things were headed for the crapper -- (Ok, and the teddy bear in the wax thing too (sorry))... But to see businesses that at one time were doing $1-4M a year just fold... nah, sorry. It really upsets me.

Ok. I'm done with soap box, the next person can use it.

;)

I guess it is like "What happened to the two dollar bill?".......things change...that is called evolution....and business trends evolve or disappear. When was the last time you bought a fosfate.....bet lots of people don't know what that is. Candles were such a hot ticket for so long and then the off shore companies drove the prices down to a ridiculous low.....how to compete????????? A 6" 3 wick candle for $6.00?????? Companies started folding right and left. I know the guy who does the aluminum molds in Stanton Virginia and he informed me years ago of the large companies folding. I think that this isn't terrible for the smaller candle companies....they haven't invested millions....I am still surviving because my candles are art .....not just a candle. But who knows....it all can end...like the "pet rock".....I was going to say the hula hoop....but I actually bought one last year.....so it had a revival.....Black and white TV is ALMOST gone......transistor radios....boy...am I old or what? My cell phone was two tin cans with string.....no batteries....(smile).....but....people still like candles and need them for light let alone romantic settings....so if we hang in here we can survive.........I will survive.....hmmmmm sounds like a song....and that reminds me....Disco didn't survive. Donita Louise

Its is too bad, that a company that has been in the candle supply business and from reading other posts, have such a loss, to the people it serves. It seems that the owner has just gone away, someone in Seattle went down to where they were and found a salvadge crew there. What a shame.

EEK! Salvage... ok, what was left, where is it going, and why? Fire? Flood? or did they just sell down and now they are gone?

What's the darn scoop!?!?!?!?!?!?!

From what we have been told, the Seattle source said that the salvadge crew did not have any answers on who, what, were, or when. and the owner was no were to be seen. plus the inside of building looked like a mess. But there was some stuff left but not much. and it was just thrown around on the floor.

it is a shame that a company who has it's roots in a family run business that has been around for almost 50 years has an effect on so many. "Where are the Olsons"

Monday I spoke with Andrea James of Seattle Post Intelligencer - she wrote an article on the company in Februray of this year. She has had three phone calls this week from other customers. She drove to the company and there is a note on the door that they are relocating. She also stated that there has been a death in Mike Kovacs' family.

As with everything else, this is second hand.

his father passed away in the end of march...

whatever their reasons for closing/ moving...i do send my condolences. i know my husband took it very hard when his father passed.

I call BS on the "moving" -- if you're moving you don't have your phone disconnected, and you certainly don't keep it a secret on your site -- especially if you aren't processing orders.

My uneducated guess?

Mike was pretty young. I have to think that he, along with his family must have had a bit of money -- bought Pourette, Barker, etal. Once his father died, there is much more money -- so he just walked away. And judging by the lack of "nice" they had when you ordered, I would guess they didn't exactly like working the place...

so in the end... that is my totally uneducated guess.

I call BS on the "moving" -- if you're moving you don't have your phone disconnected, and you certainly don't keep it a secret on your site -- especially if you aren't processing orders.

My uneducated guess?

Mike was pretty young. I have to think that he, along with his family must have had a bit of money -- bought Pourette, Barker, etal. Once his father died, there is much more money -- so he just walked away. And judging by the lack of "nice" they had when you ordered, I would guess they didn't exactly like working the place...

I have to agree....I doubt this is a move of location. If Pourette was simply moving they would still be answering the phone and I think there would be a notice on their site, perhaps advertising their new location.

I always received good service from them, although I see not everyone did. At any rate, I will miss this supplier....they had several items that were the best deal I could find.

Janette

Just think -- before the internet... for the most part... they were almost a monopoly... it was, for all practical purposes, them and binder. And binder really wasn't very formidable. They basically ran the business to supply the folks in the Poconos that make candles...

The internet came along and literally squished the biggest player out of the game -- if not with a little help by circumstances, but still.

Oh well... RIP - Pourette Mfg. Co.

My uneducated guess?

The seattle person just reported that the sign on there window says "CLOSED" and another sign says "MOVING". with no phone number or address.

And from what everyone is saying RIP to this company of 40 plus years.

Enough said

I find it strange that they would not try to sell the business before they just lock the doors and walk away. Seems like there would be more money to be made by selling it off for several million rather than running it into the ground. If the father died just a little while back and service has been off since last fall I don't think his passing has much to do with the whole deal.

Everyone gets in a rut, this might be a huge opportunity for development of new dyes or bring some new mold makers onto the scene.

I buy things from them and if they reopen I will buy from them again.. don't matter if I like them or not its MY customers that I'm looking out for so I can put up with lots of crap to take care of them. It truly doesn't matter to me if I don't like a company or not, if they have something that makes my customers come back to me and buy more I don't care what problems they have they will get orders from me unless I find better some other place.

It took me 3 years of testing before I found one of the scents that I buy from pourette, if it takes 3 more years to find a better one, so be it. Just tell the customers perfection takes time.

Bruce

I find it strange that they would not try to sell the business before they just lock the doors and walk away. Seems like there would be more money to be made by selling it off for several million rather than running it into the ground. If the father died just a little while back and service has been off since last fall I don't think his passing has much to do with the whole deal.

Everyone gets in a rut, this might be a huge opportunity for development of new dyes or bring some new mold makers onto the scene.

I buy things from them and if they reopen I will buy from them again.. don't matter if I like them or not its MY customers that I'm looking out for so I can put up with lots of crap to take care of them. It truly doesn't matter to me if I don't like a company or not, if they have something that makes my customers come back to me and buy more I don't care what problems they have they will get orders from me unless I find better some other place.

It took me 3 years of testing before I found one of the scents that I buy from pourette, if it takes 3 more years to find a better one, so be it. Just tell the customers perfection takes time.

Bruce

Millions? Hehe -- Williamsburg, Nelson, and others -- people didn't even want the company for scrap.

No millions... unless you were Yankme...

Sorry -- reality, in this business is what it is. ;)

When someone walks away from their business they generally don't think about things like taking down their website. Again I say, this smacks of money issues and just walking out the door one day.

I am now testing J&E polish dyes. No more looking back for me.

Did Mike own Pourette or his family? I'm wondering if his father passed away, if their business is in probate or perhaps it was left to someone other than Mike (his father/family) if he didn't own it outright and they decided to close it. I get my chips from them too esp since the shipping is so cheap since I live in WA.

*****POURETTE NEWS FLASH*****

Stopped by the Pourette website Today and there's a new Phone number under the contact page. Gave it a call and the message states that they are currantly closed and moving location. They should return in 60 days. Keep an eye on there website for more information. Please don't leave any messages.... If you would like to hear the message yourself here is the new number 206-290-8214..... Hopefully they will re-open.....

Zameron

Once again, I'm going to be the one to call BS.

Here's why.

1) Why not have the toll-free number pointed to the "new" number?

2) Golly -- 60 days? Ok... so in 59 days (tomorrow) -- are they going to change the message on the phone and the site? Usually people say, "We'll reopen on or about xx/xx/xxxx"

Sorry gang, I don't buy it.