What happened to Pourette Mfg.?

I will have to agree wiht the BS comment. Go to www.whitepages .com do a reverse phone lookup. The results i got were:

206) 290-8214 is Unpublished or Unavailable

(206) 290-8214

Type: Cell PhoneProvider: Sprint Spectrum L.pLocation: Seattle, WA

Tired of Pourette all together. Let the delay go on to long in good faith now i am out several hundred dollars.

Sigh..

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millions? Hehe -- Williamsburg, Nelson, and others -- people didn't even want the company for scrap.

No millions... unless you were Yankme...

Well Duh! Im not talking about today... Im talking before they let it run to hell and milked it for every cent or scent they could get from it. They would have had a better profit selling it in one piece and yes they did sell millions per year so figuring one year sales as the selling price they could have had several million in their pocket and end their operating expenses a year ago.

Your comments being they come from someone that doesnt even say "thank you" to answers to questions you have asked on here dont hold much weight with me.. sorry!

Bruce

Well Duh! Im not talking about today... Im talking before they let it run to hell and milked it for every cent or scent they could get from it. They would have had a better profit selling it in one piece and yes they did sell millions per year so figuring one year sales as the selling price they could have had several million in their pocket and end their operating expenses a year ago.

Your comments being they come from someone that doesnt even say "thank you" to answers to questions you have asked on here dont hold much weight with me.. sorry!

Bruce

I don't agree... Pourette was a good company, but all they really had going for them was the mold making shop (metal and plastic) -- the rest of the stuff was just re-sell type middle-man items... You can buy Vybar from anywhere... You get the idea. The mold shop was great when it was the only game. Then came along others doing the exact same thing. Two-piece plastic still had some life left for crafters, etc. But they gave that away to Yaley (and Napa's metal) (think of how they could have been set had THEY been the one to go to all the craft stores that you see Yaley in!!!!!)...

Your "millions per year --- one year sales" ideal is old-school thinking - at least the way our industry is now. In our business I can name a handful of companies that had sales in excess of $1M that couldn't fetch $100K let alone $1M @ sale -- so sorry, we'll have to disagree on this one. The candle business, for the most part and at the moment, with some exceptions (huge brand recognition aside (Yankee, Illum., yet) -- start adding the labor impact (carving, novelty molding, hand pillar molding, etc.) and the company becomes that much less attractive. (That is why Yankee was so attractive -- the operation was almost entirely automated -- PLUS HUGE brand recog.) -- Will you see a time again when companies like Acadian buy up lots of little guys? Maybe... But I think not. But based on the current climate, and the climate to come -- I would say that most of the smaller guys are destined for the way of Williamsburg, Nelson, Pourette, and many many others -- So keep your business running, because I don't think too many people will be offering you "one years sales" for it.

You can attack me personally for not saying "thank you" -- or some such nonsense... (which is silly at best since I just started an entire thread THANKING EVERYONE for the Presto lead for very small runs.) -- but when it comes to business acumen, I think it would be best if you stuck with carving candles. ;)

I don't really know where that attack came from -- maybe you're trying to sell your business? I don't know -- I know I didn't attack you. But that's ok. You might just be having a bad day.

Blessings, Love, and yes... Thanks too!

Pete

*****POURETTE NEWS FLASH*****

Stopped by the Pourette website Today and there's a new Phone number under the contact page. Gave it a call and the message states that they are currantly closed and moving location. They should return in 60 days. Keep an eye on there website for more information. Please don't leave any messages.... If you would like to hear the message yourself here is the new number 206-290-8214..... Hopefully they will re-open.....

Zameron

HMMMM You just joined on 5/1 & this is your only post. Could be just me but something smells fishy:undecided

HMMMM You just joined on 5/1 & this is your only post. Could be just me but something smells fishy:undecided

I'm with you -- I didn't have the you-know-whats to say it... all the "1" thread counters on this thread make me go Hmmmm...

Eh, who cares at this point.

I I signed up for an email notification from them for when they reopen. I'm thinking positively!

Of course, I'm positive I have a real headache now, too.......

What a nightmare this is turning out to be...anyway, I signed up for their newsletter notification of when they open back up! At least they have something on their home page of the website about opening back up. Now its just a matter of wait and see....

Why don't you call the owner directly, if you have an ordering problem. I have his full name from the catalog he sent me. I don't know if I should post it or not, but when I went to the white pages online it looks like has a landline.

Hmmm... something tells me Mr. K isn't going to take calls... but give'it a try. ;)

I would have changed my number by now......I still haven't canceled my order....just waiting to see what gives. I ordered from other companies but if I get extra that won't go to waste. Donita Louise

You can attack me personally for not saying "thank you" -- or some such nonsense... (which is silly at best since I just started an entire thread THANKING EVERYONE for the Presto lead for very small runs.) -- but when it comes to business acumen, I think it would be best if you stuck with carving candles. ;)

I don't really know where that attack came from -- maybe you're trying to sell your business? I don't know -- I know I didn't attack you. But that's ok. You might just be having a bad day.

Blessings, Love, and yes... Thanks too!

Pete

Bad day... maybe, but there are questions that I have answered for you and you either decline to reply or questioned my answer. Maybe you didn't even see the reply. I guess I always take note of things like that, not that it hurts my feelings lol but it helps to figure out what type of person is behind the user name. It sure looks like my post brought out the real you hey? Dang boy you sure get on a roll when you get riled up don't you. Hope your not always that high strung.

You know we might be too much alike to ever agree on anything so don't take what I say personal and I will do the same. Looks to me as if we are just both very opinionated chandlers.

BTW, I make about a dozen carved candles a year, we make our living on scented jar candles. No plans to sell my business, don't know why you would ask that other than to jab back at me for stating what I noticed about you from your past posts? Oh, and please... your remark about sticking to carved candles? ha ha

NP have to run... 3 day show starts in a few hours but please have some fun with my post while im gone.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

First, yes this is my first post here. But, I've actually been around for quite a while. :)

Pourette made a major mistake by taking away the wholesale discount and it hurt them in the long run. Local retailers (and we are one of them) use to order between 12 and 100 pieces of each mold at a time. When Pourette took away the discount I'm sure they saw their income drop. It boils down to do you sell 1 mold at $7.00 or 100 molds at $4.00. They expected to pick up the retail business and they didn't. The web does not generate the income they thought it does, and they failed to realize that most local retailers have a good size business going and most of their customers weren't even aware that Pourette existed. Many local retailers only have a web site as an addition to their free standing store.

Pourette just made some poor business decisions and cut their own throat.

Now with that said, we are looking into producing many of the products Pourette supplied. They have no patents or copyrights on any of the products they produced. We already have prototype samples being made of the mold stands and clamps. And we will be looking into the molds themselves next.

Now Pourette has made another bad business decision. If they do re-open, they have opened the door for competition. That's a good thing for end users, but bad for Pourette.

Once we have a solution for the molds I'll reveal who we are. ;)

:D

First, yes this is my first post here. But, I've actually been around for quite a while. :)

Pourette just made some poor business decisions and cut their own throat.

Now with that said, we are looking into producing many of the products Pourette supplied. They have no patents or copyrights on any of the products they produced. We already have prototype samples being made of the mold stands and clamps. And we will be looking into the molds themselves next.

Now Pourette has made another bad business decision. If they do re-open, they have opened the door for competition. That's a good thing for end users, but bad for Pourette.

We have seen over the years companys come and go, but the effect they (Pourette) had in doing what they have done, has opened the door for all the other supply houses to step up to the plate.

There are already some who are suppling the color chips that they had, right down to the same shape and color, we have not seen the plastic molds hit the market yet, but they will. but the stands and clamps have, the metal molds have been around for a while by the largest metal mold manuf. in the nation.

It is most intresting to see who are picking up the mission to supply folks both out west as well in the east, to fill the void left by them.:D

I'm afraid that I don't have time to read through 11 pages, but doesn't Pourette say they're moving and will be back in business in 2 months? It's on their page. They have a mold I REALLY want that doesn't seem to be offered by anyone else.

If it wasn't for my husband in surgery for his knee at this moment, I'd be happy to read through the entire 11 pages. Probably I've pointed out something someone already said.

Kelly

I'm afraid that I don't have time to read through 11 pages, but doesn't Pourette say they're moving and will be back in business in 2 months? It's on their page. They have a mold I REALLY want that doesn't seem to be offered by anyone else.

If it wasn't for my husband in surgery for his knee at this moment, I'd be happy to read through the entire 11 pages. Probably I've pointed out something someone already said.

Kelly

Pourette has been a mystery for several months now - the two month time line has never changed in two months. Who knows if/when they will ever be back in business. They haven't exactly been communicating w/customers which they've had for years.

They have no patents or copyrights on any of the products they produced.

They do not have to register a copyright - the item is assumed copyrighted when it is created. If you were making knock-offs of their molds for your own personal use, that is allowed under Fair Use, but you are doing this to sell and are in violation of the artist's copyright. Some items exist in public domain, such as the basic tart design that is literally everywhere; other items may be originals that they created. Before you get too far into this, you might want to see which of their molds are original creations and at least get permission or (god forbid!) offer to pay the artist for their design instead of usurping it.

I'm afraid that I don't have time to read through 11 pages, but doesn't Pourette say they're moving and will be back in business in 2 months? It's on their page. They have a mold I REALLY want that doesn't seem to be offered by anyone else.....Kelly
What mold are you looking for?

They do not have to register a copyright - the item is assumed copyrighted when it is created. If you were making knock-offs of their molds for your own personal use, that is allowed under Fair Use, but you are doing this to sell and are in violation of the artist's copyright. Some items exist in public domain, such as the basic tart design that is literally everywhere; other items may be originals that they created. Before you get too far into this, you might want to see which of their molds are original creations and at least get permission or (god forbid!) offer to pay the artist for their design instead of usurping it.
This is all understood and investigated already. Simple shapes are not and can not be copyrighted (balls, pyramids, etc). Some of the molds are simple copies of objects in public domain. And some may be copyrighted and are under investigation.