Target selling CP kits???

darci

:shocked2: I can't believe my eyes!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1175091139/ref=sr_1_2/601-3507924-4375302?ie=UTF8&asin=B00092CUD4

"Making soap at home can be fun, economical and part of a simpler, more self-sufficient way of life. This SunFeather Cold Process Soap-Making Kit contains all the necessary ingredients to make your own soap, including olive, coconut and palm oils, vegetable tallow, caustic soda beads and directions. Use for craft projects or to carve, shape and sculpt soap into objects. Comes in a decorative box. Unique packaging ideas enclosed. Makes a great gift. For ages 12 and up."

Wow...sounds like SunFeather is sort of selling out to me. I have a book by the owner of SunFeather, she is based here in NY.

I cant believe someone would sell this sort of kit to a 12 yr old.

I helped my boss's daughter with a class project last yr. They had to make something Colonial...so she wanted to make soap. She was 12 and there was no way I was letting her mix the lye!

But, I guess it is all abou the bottom line and I am sure this is making a lot of money for her.

until she gets a lawsuit slapped on her..........i would be scared to death to be the one selling this to a 12 yo. heck i'm 48 and im having a hard time just diving in, i am wanting classes. oh well maybe i am over reacting

OMG!! THAT IS INSANE!!!!! :shocked2:

There is no way in hell I would ever let a 12 year old make soap.

I have a 14 and 17 year old and a couple fur babies that I run out of the house when I soap. I'm certainly not going to hand any of them the stick blender. Way too risky.

Holy smokes.. I am amazed that Target would even promote soapmaking to a 12 YO. It would be different if it was MP. But never mix lye and children. Even though it is only available online, I cringe at the thought of some young girl trying to mix and weigh lye without any safety issues.

Sunfeather is a pioneer from way back that is very successful in soaping.

She has an equipment biz, mega wholesale and several books out. She is a native NYer and was a tour guide for the mountains. I am surprised she took this route, honestly. Business is business, I presume. It's all about the almighty dollar these days.

This is crazy, I could see if this product was targeted to adults, but 12 year olds. There's way too many precautions and things to research before just attempting this as a kid. I wouldn't let my kids let alone my little sister (who is 16) play around with lye. Hopefully parents will read whats included before buying these for there kids.

Actually it says that kids should have adult supervision when using this kit. DO YA THINK?? :laugh2:

My own kids are 13 and nearly 16, and have watched me make soap zillions of times. They know the procedure almost as well as I do, and have heard the lye safety lecture 1,000 times. I still wouldn't let them within 10 feet of my soaping equipment and ingredients. LOL

Hope they have a heckuva thick manual that teaches about lye safety and basic soapmaking with this kit. And I sure hope that customers actually READ that info. :undecided Hope the kit includes goggles and gloves and such too. People might be in too big of a hurry to get started to wait until those items are purchased separately. :)

It just goes to show you how hot soapmaking is right now. I would think they would be more likely to sell m&p kits due to safety concerns, but maybe this type of thing appeals more to their demographics of suburban yuppy types.

This is probably a trend that will wind up on the clearance shelves.

When I'm shopping for children I always use the " for ages ---" as a guideline.

I shudder to think of how many parents may see this and purchase for their

12 yr. old.

I wonder if there is a way to contact Target to express our concerns.

I don't know folks but I have a 12 year old nephew that has always expressed an interest in everything that I make. He has made jewelry for his mom as well as a tiny bunch of beaded forget me nots. I know there are no chemicals involved in jewelry making or beaded flowers but his younger brother of 7 has expressed and interest in learning to make soap and I don't see any reason not to teach him at 12 years of age. It's not complicated and these guys are fast learners, very attentive and follows instructions very well.. I know I could have made soap at 12 as I am sure that is true for everyone on this board. The only reason we didn't is because we weren't exposed to it.

It's usually pretty easy to tell if a child is truly interested or if it's just one of a million things they show interest in. I have learned from working with my nephews that they are patient, attentive and dedicated while working on a project that they really enjoy. So, I will be the odd one and say...Yes, I wouldn't have any problem instructing a 12 year old in soap making or cosmetics:D

If there is a newbie soap challenge this year, now the newbies know where to get everything all in on place! that's pretty neat:D