Distressed Pillar

eugenia

Ange gave me this idea yesterday. I took a plain, ordinary pillar scented Raspberry Lilac, (the last I had from SoapNCandles, boo hoo) and used a thin metal wood graining tool to distress it. Ange had suggested a wire brush, but I tried this instead, since I happend to have it, LOL. Opinions?

e

distressed.jpg

Yes e! yours looks even more creative then mine lol i will do a little swirly action next time :yay: . I love it! That's what i call it over here, textured pillars. And it doesnt take time at all, i use a wire brush and just give it a good brushing, i do the tops too.

And if u do cris cross u get those 'linen' type looking pillars from the boutiques.

eta: i beat u, i do mine in slightly over a minute lol

OOOO, I like. Just used a strong wire brush on some white coconut ones and liked how they turned out. Don't think the lines would show up on a picture though. Great way to finish off a pillar that has marks on it:) too.

Textures made with a wire brush or other items always work to hide a multitude of sins when you just can't get the result you were going for. If you would like to get rid of the powdery frosted look you can use a heat gun. Just not to close or to long in one place so you don't get drip marks.

That's a nice, simple way of texturizing a surface. I'm sure I could find some wood working tools to create some interesting surface textures. I only have white pillars already made. I'll have to make some colored ones and try that.

Love it! I particularly love that something so simple to do can add enough visual interest to a candle that the candle now has character. Well done.

Reading the post by Garf just gave me an idea ... if you dipped the outer layer in a white wax, then texturize the candle. Or make a white candle & dip it in colored wax, then texturize.