Certain candles cant be used on warmers?

I had a lady at a candle show ask me "can these be used on a candle warmer?"

I guess when she saw the surprised look on my face, she continued to explain that they told her that candles where the wick is directly on the other side of the glass, cannot be used for warmers?:eek:

My wicks are glued into the bottom, so according to her rules, she could not use it on a warmer.

Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

Okay, I can't come up with any reason why having the wick touch the bottom would make any difference. Maybe I'm just braindead and it's too early in the morning, but if there's a wick in a glass container, then it HAS to be on the bottom too! right?

They put it on the warmer, the wax begins to melt....all that happens to the wick is that it might lean over and fall if the entire container of wax melted. But, it wouldn't happen then if it was a zinc wick.

I don't know....sounds like another one of those stupid things that people say at Craft shows to get you to buy only their candles.

DanaE

I've heard this and thought about it as well.

If a container is thin glass (such as YankMe's apoth's, lol) and the metal wick tab is directly in contact with the glass, I can definitely see that heat would be much more concentrated directly under the tab and could possibly shatter. If a wick stickum has been used, that would provide a buffer of sorts, and if silicone was used, this too could reduce heat build up.

But, there are simply too many variables to control....like the glass thickness and warmer wattage.

I suppose testing could be done, with several warmers of varying wattage, and containers of varying thickness, but oye!!

Quite some time ago there was talk that several people had candles catch fire while using the warmer plates. The blame was put on the metal wick tab getting too hot & causing the liquid wax to ignite. Also questioned was the warmer itself...seems some of them(specially the mug warmers) get hotter than the candle warmers. Can't prove it by me but all I know is I sell only canlde warmers & wickless jars cuz it's a suit happy world!

Julie

Definately sounds like a ploy from other vendors to get peeps to buy their candles. I would just tell her to watch out for cheap glass rather than wicks. I suppose she could have been told the heat could catch the wick on fire, I think I even heard that here :rolleyes2 , but the wick will only catch from direct heat such as a flame. HTH

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. I do sell wickless candles only because I have a blue million 4 ounce hex jars that are a pain to wick. I have the Cozy Up 17w from Michael's and the wax temp only gets to around 155*. That is not hot enough to cause the wax to catch on fire. I know a lot of people that use wicked candles on warmers and have never heard of a problem.

No, no, no...the jars CAN crack and shatter....I've seen it happen, and have heard from multiple people that they've had it happen to them....assuming, too that it's the wick tab getting hot...I sell a lot of wickless...but if I'm out of a certain scent and only have wicked, I tell them to remove the wick...you all may believe what you want, but I've seen it happen, and I will NEVER advise a customer to put a wicked candle on a warmer....either get wickless or pull that baby out. It may not be a problem, but if you get a jar that's been stressed....it's just not worth the chance...now, when mine broke, it didn't catch fire, but made a horrible mess.

With some of my left over candles from last year I have been testing the wicked candles with the warmer.No problem but I make SURE I have the warning label at the bottom off.It comes off easy but I still take a cloth and wipe it.

I have made about 36 wickless candles.I can tell you the French Vanilla just doesn't lose its scent.It is awesome.Still smells good after over 100 hours with a 10 ounce classic jar.

LynnS