Melting Wax

I have just recently begun making candles and I am far from an expert. I am discovering how much I dislike melting wax using a double boiler - it's very time consuming, messy, and takes a long time. I am interested in buying a wax melter and was wondering what everyone here would recommend.

I've seen the Presto Pot modifications on eBay and I was wondering if that is something that I should go with, or if there is something else. I would to purchase something that would work well with soy wax. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have just recently begun making candles and I am far from an expert. I am discovering how much I dislike melting wax using a double boiler - it's very time consuming, messy, and takes a long time. I am interested in buying a wax melter and was wondering what everyone here would recommend.

I've seen the Presto Pot modifications on eBay and I was wondering if that is something that I should go with, or if there is something else. I would to purchase something that would work well with soy wax. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have (and still use sometimes) the presto pot without the valve on it and it's so much nicer than the double boiler. I have now gone with the turk and surf and boy is it worth it's weight in gold. I use soy in both of my melters. A lot use the presto pot and just dip out of it into the pouring pot without adding the valve to it, and it's easily found at Walmart (again, without the valve) for around $20

I have 3 presto pots with the valve and spigot; love them all! They are so much easier to use than to dip wax out of a pot. I just open the valve to relase the wax into a pitcher then pour into containers. I have bought all 3 presto pots on eBay and they have all worked great! Coppercreekinc's General Store has the best ones. Here is the link if you are interested: http://stores.ebay.com/Coppercreekincs-General-Store_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

They run auctions on them for $44.95 already built and ready to ship. They have excellent customer service and ship very fast! I purchased two of them from their store.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I went out today to find a presto pot - I didn't have the patience to wait for one to come in the mail and I was excited to begin right away.

I had some difficulty finding a Presto Pot, Walmart didn't have them anymore, so I tried Target, Kmart and Shopko. In the end I ended up purchasing a Hamilton Beach 6.5 quart roaster oven that has a thermostat on it. It was only $20, so I figured I'd give it a shot - and if it didn't work I could use it to cook with instead.

I plugged it in right away and it has been working great! I have just been scooping out the wax as I have needed it, mixing the color and scent in a separate pot and then pouring it into the molds.

After seeing how easy and fast it is - I could never imagine going back to a double boiler!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
So, I'm getting that the double boiler method stinks. :grin2:

As someone who hasn't melted her 1st wax would it be wise for me to purchase one of these pots you all are talking about or should I double boil my 1st few batches & see if this is something I truly love to do?

If I were you, I would start out with the presto - double boiler method is extremely frustrating! But it's your $$, so you're the one who knows how you should spend it lol - have fun whichever method you choose.

I am wondering, do you mix the fragrance oil and color in the presto pot before removing the wax from there? And if not, are you weighing it in a pour pot and then adding fo and color?

I'm just doing the double boiler method, haven't had any problems with it, and I just do 1-2lbs at a time right now, just testing.

I am wondering, do you mix the fragrance oil and color in the presto pot before removing the wax from there? And if not, are you weighing it in a pour pot and then adding fo and color?

I'm just doing the double boiler method, haven't had any problems with it, and I just do 1-2lbs at a time right now, just testing.

If you are making a big batch of one color/scent then you can do it in the presto pot otherwise use your pour pot or a measuring glass.

For the most part I measure the wax out and add color/scent as needed but when I am doing 80 votives at a time I use just one pot for that.

I have 5 pots in my candle room. :D