Post-pour wick trimming

I have been trimming my wicks down to 1/4 inch after my poured candles set up, and after heat gunning. I've been doing it as a courtesy to the buyers, and to make certain the wick is correctly trimmed for it's first burn.

I could see where a chandler would try to save time, and just fold the remaining wick down and make certain burning instructions include an admonishment to trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning, and between burns. Or trimming to 1/2 inch to make it look better, and relying on the end user to trim properly.

Question before the assembled masses: Do you trim wicks or not, and what is your rationale? This directly addresses the issue on how much responsibility should be assumed by the end user for properly maintaining their candle, an object that could potentially damage their home if not maintained correctly?

geek

I trim them after talking to too many people who think that the longer the wick the better. Even people that profess to be diehard candle lovers and users are constantly surprised when I talk to them about the importance of wick trimming.

I trim because I use the excess in firestarters.

I occasionally make a pillar with a long wick with decorations on it. I have a label that says to remove decorations and trim wick to 1/4" before burning. I actually had a lady ask if you could burn it with the charm on the wick! :shocked2:

Dsiclaimer: I don't sell yet.

I trim mine because right now I am super cheap. I'm testing 4 oz tins and the length of wick (6 inch pretabbed) left over is enough to re-tab and use.:D

Also my mom who loves candles had never heard of the trimming the wick thing, luckily she collected more candles than she burned. I showed her the difference between a wick starting proper and one starting at apprx 3/4 inch and she was amazed at the increased flame dancing, soot and how fast the candle dissappeared.

Sami

INtersting that I got no reponses for the opposite view. It would apear that CYA is the number one concern in business. I would agree with everyone here, but thought I could start an argument :wink2:

Merry Chrismas! geek

LMAO! Too funny!

I trim my containers for the obvious reasons stated above, but also because it's easier to put the lid on the container and they just look better that way!!

On my pillars it's a different story. If it's a plain jane pillar then yes, I trim the wick. If it's a fancy pillar, or something like my cinnamon bun pillar candle, I either curl the wick up, or fancy it up with a bead or something. Just to make it purty! :)

(sorry geek, that's as good of an argument as I have! :) )