so..how do you center your wicks

me too. although I think if I have a big fundraiser again I will definitely get those wick centering plastic "crosses". The only thing is they have to fit the jar so a little homework is required before ordering. I think for a lot of candles at once that will be the way to go. For now I eyeball carefully, then pull them up and make sure they are centered. Don't ask me how many I pull off and do over, I am NUTS about centered wicks.

There is a company from Texas that makes not only the EZ Wick Setting Tool, but also makes EZ Wick Centering tools. They are not very expensive, and they save you a bunch of time and perfectly center your wicks! I originally purchased a dozen of the small and large size. The small works well for jelly jars, and the large works well for larger jars with 3" openings, and is setup for double wicking. Very handy tools indeed! You can get them from alot of places, but one in particular is Greenleaf in Grand Prairie, TX.

//end shameless plug :P

geek

Wick centering products, there are lots of choices out there from various suppliers are WELL worth the money, and they are not that expensive to begin with! IMO you want as few variables as possible when making your candles to create a consistent product for friends and customers. I, too, am obsessive about getting the wicks perfectly centered, and these tools take all the guesswork out of it.:grin2:

me too. although I think if I have a big fundraiser again I will definitely get those wick centering plastic "crosses". The only thing is they have to fit the jar so a little homework is required before ordering. I think for a lot of candles at once that will be the way to go. For now I eyeball carefully, then pull them up and make sure they are centered. Don't ask me how many I pull off and do over, I am NUTS about centered wicks.

i was thinking about trying these too--i'm gonna order these today.

here's how i get mine centered....I make a Template.

i draw around the bottom of the jar...on hard cardboard. then i take a ruler

and find my center and mark it. take my wick tab and set it on top of the dot

and measure all around to exact...and trace around the wick tab.

that way i put my jar on top of that template and can see thru the jar and glue my wicks in. it's best way for me to get perfect center.

pour my wax in and then use my wick holder to keep them straight up.

hope i made sense lol

hth

Dani

I attached them with wick stickums and center them with clothespins

I use the wick stickers from www.thecandlemakersstore.com

Then I get all high-tech and use a popsicle stick with a hole drilled in it to help center the wick.

Oh, and I also have a "target" that helps center the wick on the bottom. Target with concentric circles and a bulls-eye to aim the wick sticker at.

post-2472-139458415333_thumb.jpg

creeksidecandles

If you ordered the small or the medium they only have one hole. The only Wick Centering Tool for containers that has multiple holes that match the holes on the Multi EZ Wick Setter is the large. If you ordered the Large and received a tool with one hole. Check back with BCN and make sure you ordered the Large. HTH

Rob in tx

I use the wick stickers from www.thecandlemakersstore.com

Then I get all high-tech and use a popsicle stick with a hole drilled in it to help center the wick.

Oh, and I also have a "target" that helps center the wick on the bottom. Target with concentric circles and a bulls-eye to aim the wick sticker at.

I'm very glad you posted this idea and pic. I use the plastic cross ones for my 8oz JJ but I have some wedding favors to make in the 1.5 mini hexs and I was thinking now how in the world and I going to keep the wick straight. I was going to use the old standby clothespins but I think I will try this trick :highfive:

Since doing candles in the basement I use wick stickums in warmer weather and glue gun when it is cold.Just look straight down in the jar and have no problem centering.Pour wax and after that pull up/straighten wick and use cut up metal clothes hangers to hold up and center in place.My wicks are very centered doing it this way.Been doing it for 4 years and no problems or complaints from customers.

Come to think of it I hope my husband has more hangers at work because needing some more to center the wicks and keep them in place.

LynnS

We double-wick with stickums from BCN, then pull wick through the popsicle stick and secure with tiny clothespins - and I have such a hard time getting them placed just right! It would be no problem if we used a single wick, because the jar has writing in the center, but that would be too easy. :undecided I may just have to buy a myself a EZ Wick Setter for the double wicking!

Even though I hav eonly made about a dozen container candles so far, I have tried different ways.

First was to use two skewers zip/cable tied on one end. It worked ok.

I also tried the same held by office clips, the black ones with the silver handles that fold, I think they're called binder clips; they worked ok with the small clips.

Today I got some wick holders from WSP, I didn't like 'em one bit:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3708&ProductName=Wick+Holder+for+Jars+%26+Pillars+-+Black

I also tried a straight up black comb, this is the way I'll go, works like a champ to hold the wicks and they're easy to use.

All the ways I've done it, I've eyeballed it. I also use a glue gun.

I use a hot glue gun and eyeball them straight, although I think Im going to take someones Idea here and make a template with a bullseye in the middle, we tried wick stickems but they never stay for me, hot glue works everytime! I use metal wick clips to keep them nice and straight while theya re cooling..love them!:D